IGNORED

GT Michelin info

CruisinCruzan

CruisinCruzan

Leaving tomorrow on a 2 week trip with my wife on my ‘21 RT. This AM noted my rear is flat. We have a pretty tight time frame and I have been unsuccessful in getting a tire today. I happen to have brand new Michelin 6 tires I was going to put on my 9T but they are not the GT variant. How necessary is that? The trip will be about 3000 miles including abundant twisties.

The Michelin rep told me the GT has a stiffer face to the tire which may be best, but if it was me I'd install the non GT tire and go enjoy your trip.  My 02R1150RT was about he same weight (it didn't have a GT rating) the GT and non GT have the same load rating.  You may not get the same tire life.  Enjoy your trip and be safe.   

Yes, as said, the Road 6 GT is the same as its predecessor, the Road 5 GT and designed for heavier bikes..

I rode my K1600GT which is a heavier bike than the RT, fully loaded on a European trip on Road 5  (non-GT) tyres with no problems at all, I'd run with what you've got. 

CruisinCruzan

Thanks for the info, I found a set of Road 6 GTs at Max in NY, made the 6.5 hour round trip and put them on last night so I will keep the non-GT for the 9T. Every other place I called said they have significant difficulty getting tires.

• 8 months later...

I believe I read that the GT was the one to use for two-up as opposed to solo riding- I found it to be an excellent replacement for the stock Metzler and quite superior in grip and wet weather traction.