IGNORED

Tourmaster Horizon Line Trailhead Enduro Jacket Review

MotoNews

Published in: Gear

Tourmaster Horizon Line Trailhead Enduro Jacket intro

If you want to take your bike down a challenging trail, combining enduro/off-road armor with a jersey gives you protection with comfortable airflow. But, this setup can be a bit cool when seasons change and temps start to drop. Tourmaster had this in mind when it developed the Horizon Line Trailhead Enduro Jacket.

Construction of this versatile jacket starts with a DWR coated 600D poly shell with reflective accents. There are 1680D ballistic poly reinforcements on the shoulders and arms with toughened-up impact zones. Just under the shell, there’s a waterproof and breathable Reissa liner. The sleeves are removable to convert the jacket into a vest. To make the fit just right for most riders Tourmaster includes waist adjusters, dual arm adjusters, and expansion gussets at the hips.

Storage is ample, with plenty of pockets inside and out. On the back is a large hydration bladder pocket capable of holding up to a three-liter bladder, with Velcro loops to secure bladders from a variety of brands. A plastic hook on the right shoulder keeps your sip tube under control. Three rows of MOLLE-style webbing loops adorn the front of the jacket, providing an easy spot to attach an emergency tracker, extra pockets, or just about anything you’d want to hook on.

Horizon Line Trailhead Enduro Jacket back

Trying on the jacket for the first time, I found it to be sized to fit true without armor and without pockets to hold protectors. Going up a size from a large to an XL gave me room for my Moose Racing armor and a jersey to fit comfortably, but the arms were still a touch snug at the elbows.

While the Reissa liner initially seemed like a good idea to me, it unfortunately prevents the vents from allowing air directly to the rider’s body. I tend to run a bit warm and I’ve found myself getting hot more quickly than expected on otherwise cool days. However, removing the arms and wearing it as a vest was more comfortable. I wouldn’t see a downside to Tourmaster removing the Reissa lining and either including a hydration bladder or knocking a few bucks off the price. The waterproofing is also a bit undermined by the removable sleeves and in any significant rain; I’d be wearing a rain shell over everything to stay dry, anyway.

Overall, if you’re looking for a jacket for cool to cold days off-road, the Trailhead Enduro Jacket has the utility to carry plenty of equipment, and adjustments to fit many riders. While I felt it could be more breathable, I think folks in cooler or damp climates may find it just right to keep warm on the trail.

HelmetHouse.com

MSRP: $199.99

Additional Purchase Link: 

Moto Sport btn

Horizon Line Trailhead Enduro Jacket front

PROS:

• Utilitarian enough to replace a hydration pack and jacket
  • Removable sleeves
  • Abundant reflectivity
  • Several adjusters for ideal fit

CONS:

• Reissa liner reduces venting and breathability