IGNORED

Bike Trailer

Doctor T

Hi This is not for hauling the bike around but to pull behind the bike.

As this forum is 95% American i hope i have more luck here. Am trying to find a tow hitch for my 200RT. Ive spend months emailing companies over here in the UK and Europe with no luck. I have a small trailer made from a car top box that is in bits at the moment. It falls with in the UK regs so no problem there. Ive towed it on my old Goldwing and it tracks well. I find it handy when camping with the wife and her spare's that are so called important extras

Anyway do you know of any one which i can import a tow hitch from.

10 minutes ago, Dotor T said:

Hi This is not for hauling the bike around but to pull behind the bike.

As this forum is 95% American i hope i have more luck here. Am trying to find a tow hitch for my 200RT. Ive spend months emailing companies over here in the UK and Europe with no luck. I have a small trailer made from a car top box that is in bits at the moment. It falls with in the UK regs so no problem there. Ive towed it on my old Goldwing and it tracks well. I find it handy when camping with the wife and her spare's that are so called important extras

Anyway do you know of any one which i can import a tow hitch from.

Morning Dotor T

Try Bushtec  (https://bushtec.com/ ) , they make them for most 1200 bikes. Not sure what motorcycle you are asking about.

Afternoon Doctor T

You also have to keep in mind that your 2007 R1200RT has a computer controlled brake & tail light (only a single power wire for both with pulse-width modulated voltage control so hooking up trailer lights is not straight forward. (sometimes you can get very low load LED trailer lights to work with no modifications). Otherwise you will need a special control module to allow conventional trailer lights to work.

Have had a couple trailers in the past and always used a powered harness for the lights likely what dirtrider is talking about.  I've not used one on a BMW but would think it could work.  I have a couple of these on hand that I've kept just in case

Toycloser where in the world are you?.

Dirtrider. Thank you for the link. Am still wating for their reply. Ive been looking into a Ezycam to see if that will work the lighting on the trailer

Cheers

szurszewski
2 hours ago, Doctor T said:

Dirtrider. Thank you for the link. Am still wating for their reply. Ive been looking into a Ezycam to see if that will work the lighting on the trailer

Cheers

His profile shows him as being in Florida, USA

Thanks for the hepl everyone and the pictures of the towbar. Ive found a very small company that are willing to make one for me. I have to do the electrics, thats the easy part for me. The company is only 5 minutes from my door. I knew they were steel stock holders but never knew that they spcialized in one off designs for the motortrade. They need the bike for a day for measurements. They have quoted £250.GBP. That includes power coating the tow bar and fit the hitch. Now just to rebuild the trailer again.

I've emailed  a few companies that make the cambus controlers to see if i can control the extra lights on the trailer

szurszewski
5 hours ago, Doctor T said:

Thanks for the hepl everyone and the pictures of the towbar. Ive found a very small company that are willing to make one for me. I have to do the electrics, thats the easy part for me. The company is only 5 minutes from my door. I knew they were steel stock holders but never knew that they spcialized in one off designs for the motortrade. They need the bike for a day for measurements. They have quoted £250.GBP. That includes power coating the tow bar and fit the hitch. Now just to rebuild the trailer again.

I've emailed  a few companies that make the cambus controlers to see if i can control the extra lights on the trailer

Assuming they do quality work, that sounds like a very reasonable price - post some pics when you get it :)

On 5/19/2022 at 1:12 PM, Doctor T said:

Cheers

Sorry I forgot about this thread.  I am in Florida.  Still have the tow hitch.

• 1 year later...
paul gudgeon

Im looking for a tow hitch for my r1200rt do you still have it ? As the thread is a few months old and would you post it to the uk ? Thanks