IGNORED

Phone Mount Question for 2005 RT

Rotor

Another question guys.

For those of you that have your phone mounted on your bike, where did you mount it and what mount/charging device did you use?  I’m considering a wireless charging mount but I have no idea which one or where to place it.  Would appreciate suggestions based on your experiences.  I’ll be using an iPhone 8.  My GPS will be mounted between the bars using the handlebar bolts so that’s not an option for the phone.

szurszewski

I had my phone mounted to shelf on my 1100RT (a simple piece of flatstock aluminum bent to mount between the upper inside corners of the dashboard (so it went above the gauges and was attached using one of the dash/body screws on each side. 

As for what mount to use, I really liked my Perfect Squeeze - ran that for a few years and recently upgraded to the Juiced Squeeze which adds a wireless charging puck. Very, very happy with it. I like being able to run the phone in the rain without having to worry about a cord. 

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Rotor said:

Another question guys.

For those of you that have your phone mounted on your bike, where did you mount it and what mount/charging device did you use?  I’m considering a wireless charging mount but I have no idea which one or where to place it.  Would appreciate suggestions based on your experiences.  I’ll be using an iPhone 8.  My GPS will be mounted between the bars using the handlebar bolts so that’s not an option for the phone.

Afternoon John 

If you are using an iPhone then you probably want to find a phone mount that has a vibration-damping system (either sold with it or at least available).

I know a couple of BMW riders that ruined their iPhone camera by solid mounting their iPhone phone to the motorcycle. 

I believe that a decent vibration-damping system is available for the Quad Lock System Pat posted above. 

If you Google iPhone mounted on motorcycle there is an iPhone bulletin about motorcycle vibration effecting iPhone cameras. 

If you utilize Ram-B-367U balls and stagger the riser bolts you can use one side for the GPS and one for a phone. For 35,000 miles I've used an X-Grip for my iPhone 2020 SE and the Garmin 396 mounts on the other side. To minimize vibration use the top bridge of the Telelever,. I mounted a ball to the top of the dash but phone or GPS mounted there bounced up and down too much for me. The iPhone 8 does not have the camera system affected by vibration.... at least according to Apple.

szurszewski

I did kill a camera in an iPhone X solid mounted to the bars of an R9T. I’ve not had a problem on my 1200gs or r1100s, but I did recently add a wire rope isolator to my phone mount (it is made by the perfect squeeze folks and is called the buzzkill). It works well but is bulky/not very elegant in appearance. 

Thank you guys for all your help and recommendations.  I’m looking at them all.  I’d really like to find a combination that will allow me to use the vacant left mirror hole to mount the phone.  Guess we’ll see.

16 minutes ago, Rotor said:

Thank you guys for all your help and recommendations.  I’m looking at them all.  I’d really like to find a combination that will allow me to use the vacant left mirror hole to mount the phone.  Guess we’ll see.

Morning John

Just keep in mind that out near the handlebar ends (the farther from the handlebar center you go) the more higher frequency vibration that will be effecting what you mount there.  

Just look at how a mirror mounted in that area blurs from vibrations at higher engine RPM operation. (especially when a hand is taken off the grip at higher engine RPM's) 

• Like 1

Ive been using a Quad Lock copy that i purchased from ebay a couple years back. They still seem to sell for around £8 GBP inc post. The only differance is the holding tab is red and not blue. Ive held it against my mate Quad lock and the manufacturing is the same. The one they now sell is a wireless charger case. This sells for £19.99 GBP. As it comes from China am sure you can find them on USA ebay.

s-l500 (1).jpg

s-l500 (2).jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I've got this mount July 2021 (the previous holder was the Ram X-grip) and it's on the brake fluid reservoir.  I've had an iphone 5, iphone 8 and now iphone 13, not a single issue with the phone or camera on either mount.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.  I went with the Quad Lock.  It's mounted but I haven't ridden with it yet so I cannot evaluate.  I was especially interested in mounts that offered wireless charging, which this does.

Rider1260,

Nicely done!  My arrangement is not exactly what I hoped for but we'll see how it works in the real world and adjust from there.

1 hour ago, Doctor T said:

Is it only i phones that have problems with vibrations?

Supposedly, .........but I've got over 190k total on all bikes with iphones and no issues.

Newer iPhone are said to have issues with the Camera vibration damper getting wrecked , to be honest I like the Quad lock mount better , easier to use and seems even more secure than the Ram ( I have a Ram mount if anyone wants it )  I have never had issues with my Zumos one any of my bikes 

20 hours ago, Doctor T said:

Is it only i phones that have problems with vibrations?

Afternoon Doctor T

Good question, I know of 2 i-Phone users (no idea on what versions) that ruined their i-Phones using them on BMW motorcycles (so this can be an issue).

I do know of one Android user that had phone issues but his phone was mounted on a  large piston single (a real shaker at certain RPM's). Plus I am not even sure if the motorcycle caused the problems or the failure was due to some other factor. 

• Like 1

The only piece of electrical device that gave up on me, that i think was down to vibrations was a TomTom. I used a Ram mount claw to hold it and that used to vibrate a lot. But then again it was an old SatNav.

The only phone mount ive used is the one in the picture i posted. It seems vibration free and so far my Android phone is still working. It does seem strange it's mostly i Phones that have the problems. There could be many reasons but could it be soldered contacts or cracked boards.