IGNORED

"Sport" windscreen

alexvtr

Hi all!

Does anyone has personnal experience with a short, sport windscreen on a 2014+ R1200RT?

I'm looking at this:

Powerbronze Sport Screen

I know aerodynamics on a bike is a particularly personnal matter...

I'm 6ft and I'm looking for more cooling airflow during summer.

I tried a 2019 or 2020 RT with the sport option (that includes a short windscreen from the factory) and was impressed by the air flow in the low position and at the same time its efficiency in the high position even if it was much shorter that the standard screen. 

TIA for your feedback!

alegerlotz

I have a stock standard screen that came with my bike, a factory sport screen from a 2018 model, and a Werks Quiet Ride 26" screen.

The sport screen looks good, but I have to say I don't use it much.  I pretty much use the Werks all the time.  I might try it again this summer, but the fairing itself blocks so much of the airflow.

For times when I want good airflow (it gets to be 110 degrees where I live fairly often), I bought an R Nine T.

14 minutes ago, alegerlotz said:

I have a stock standard screen that came with my bike, a factory sport screen from a 2018 model, and a Werks Quiet Ride 26" screen.

The sport screen looks good, but I have to say I don't use it much.  I pretty much use the Werks all the time.  I might try it again this summer, but the fairing itself blocks so much of the airflow.

For times when I want good airflow (it gets to be 110 degrees where I live fairly often), I bought an R Nine T.

Thanks for your feedback, very appreciated!

3 hours ago, alexvtr said:

Hi all!

Does anyone has personnal experience with a short, sport windscreen on a 2014+ R1200RT?

I'm looking at this:

Powerbronze Sport Screen

I know aerodynamics on a bike is a particularly personnal matter...

I'm 6ft and I'm looking for more cooling airflow during summer.

I tried a 2019 or 2020 RT with the sport option (that includes a short windscreen from the factory) and was impressed by the air flow in the low position and at the same time its efficiency in the high position even if it was much shorter that the standard screen. 

TIA for your feedback!

The BMW sports screen looks nice on the bike, and does the intended job.  It DOES get you airflow over the screen.  It's impossible for a windscreen to do that, without creating buffeting, particularly since the Beemer RT is so well protected, i.e. that wind pummeling the up-sloping front fairing has to go somewhere, and without the full windscreen, it hits you in your helmet.   I rode with it for a few weeks last fall after I bought my 2018 "sport" model RT (i.e. "sport" is mostly just the color of the bike and the windscreen), and it was Idaho-fall-cool to cold.  I didn't enjoy it.  Again, it wasn't so much the temps that got to me, as the buffeting.  It was impossible to set that screen in a high enough setting to avoid substantial buffeting (and fyi, I'm 6'2" tall).

It's kind of funny, though.  I've ridden dirt bikes flat out across the California desert at speeds > 60 mph, and wind buffeting never bothered me.  As I said, I think with a fairing mounted street bike, the wind gets funneled up into either the windscreen or the rider's helmet, or both, which makes it feel worse than riding an unprotected bike.

So, I sold that screen off to get a stocker (which I just replaced with a Cal-Sci screen I picked up cheap, to try).  If I was riding in summer back in California, though, I'd probably want something like that sport screen.  I might eventually cut down the stocker for that purpose, if I feel the need.  For an all-season tourer, though I'd want something better than the sport or stocker screen.  I've had a Cee Baily on an older bike, and it was way too much protection.   That experience has left me reluctant to try the highly recommended Werks.  The Cal-Sci was a low risk trial, and we'll see how that works out.  

So, it all depends on what you want, and where you ride most of the time.  You MUST have the ability to put some wind up over the screen when it's hot, and whatever you run, should be able to give you that with BMW's windshield adjuster.  If you can't get that, you're running the wrong screen, i.e. too high, too wide, or maybe substandard design.  The BMW short screen will have airflow over the top nearly ALL the time, along with the buffeting.  

• Like 2