IGNORED

Things are never as simple as they seem on YouTube

1200Arty

When we watch YouTube videos they will usually have edited to a greater or lesser extent.

With that in mind I decided to lube the rear end splines and change the rear drive oil, on my 09 RT (21000miles).

In addition, I thought I would remove the pivot pin and screw that joins the swingarm and final drive housing.

It is well known that high strength loctite is used and in order to undo must be heated to 100 degrees C.  This I did, but despite repeated heatings could only undo it about half way.  That was with me holding the screw and my son holding the collar and each with a a breaker bar.

So in desperation the next day I called my my local mechanic who fortunately employs an ex BMW technician. They came and collected my bike and returned it back to me afterwards. I was told that because of the lock tight it had caused the threads to to cross thread and that is why we could not and do them my. Furthermore apparently this is a common problem where BMW use high strength loctite. Fortunately they had a spare screw and collar and replaced them so all I had to pay for was for half an hour labour charge - £30. No charge for transport for the parts.

So my message is that despite watching every video on YouTube relevant to my bike, procedures are not always a simple as they appear.

Paul

• Like 1
1 hour ago, 1200Arty said:

So my message is that despite watching every video on YouTube relevant to my bike, procedures are not always a simple as they appear.

Paul

Damn it! So you’re saying all the YouTube training I’ve done is going to leave me at a disadvantage when landing an F-35C Lightning on a carrier deck?

:4331:

• Like 1
aggieengineer

Hey, if the internet can make one expert in matters of medicine and law, landing on a carrier must surely be a cinch.

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1