IGNORED

U-Joint Failure Questions

Rotor

Seems a lot of postings from me lately…sorry.

While doing maintenance on my new-to-me 2005 RT I found the rear u-joint is bad.  Bike has less than 20,000 miles on it (only reason I purchased it).  To say I was surprised would be an understatement.  No rust or anything like that, just a very pronounced bad spot – to the point you have to force it past that spot to get the joint to move.

I have these questions:

1. I realize the joints weren’t intended to be replaced but I have heard it can be done?

2. If so, where would I purchase the parts?

3. Can any machine shop perform the replacement?

4. Would you trust a used shaft if one could be found?

Hoping I didn’t purchase a money-pit but I’m finding many things not as the previous owner said they were.  I knew I'd be spending some money on it but I didn't expect expenses of this nature considering the low miles.

Thanks in advance.

dirtrider
2 hours ago, Rotor said:

Seems a lot of postings from me lately…sorry.

While doing maintenance on my new-to-me 2005 RT I found the rear u-joint is bad.  Bike has less than 20,000 miles on it (only reason I purchased it).  To say I was surprised would be an understatement.  No rust or anything like that, just a very pronounced bad spot – to the point you have to force it past that spot to get the joint to move.

I have these questions:

1. I realize the joints weren’t intended to be replaced but I have heard it can be done?

2. If so, where would I purchase the parts?

3. Can any machine shop perform the replacement?

4. Would you trust a used shaft if one could be found?

Hoping I didn’t purchase a money-pit but I’m finding many things not as the previous owner said they were.  I knew I'd be spending some money on it but I didn't expect expenses of this nature considering the low miles.

Thanks in advance.

Afternoon John

1. I realize the joints weren’t intended to be replaced but I have heard it can be done?--- Yes, but you basically need a lathe, dial indicators,  & a TIG welder to do it.  

2. If so, where would I purchase the parts?-- Those U joints are available but difficult to find as they are not made to be replaced. I had a source but with this Covid thing they can't source them for me any longer.  

3. Can any machine shop perform the replacement?-- Yes, well sort of anyhow. They need to have access to a proper U joint plus have the ability to replace yours. Most could likely do it but by the time you (or they) source a U joint then might as well send that shaft to a proper drive shaft shop as they do many a week so are experienced in replacing those difficult to replace joints.   (plus drive line/drive shaft shops like MSI usually install new greaseable U joints that can be lubricated every few years) 

4. Would you trust a used shaft if one could be found?-- Depends, on if the used shaft has good joints in it. The early 1200 drive shafts were updated by BMW on later BMW 1200RT models.  

You might give  (MSI) a call as they have replaced a LOT of BMW boxer U joints & do good work.  

Machine Service, Inc.
Green Bay, WI 54304
Phone:  (920)-339-3000

Thanks John.  Don't really want to order from that far but I will certainly keep it in mind.

Regards

I have a drive shaft in my 2007 RT that was refurbished by Machine Service Inc of Green Bay, WI. Dirtrider mentioned them above. The charge was $260 and the turnaround was one week when done two years ago. I didn't install it until 3,500 miles ago.

There were some reports of reliability problems with MSI rebuilds back maybe 6-8 years ago but my research didn't turn up any problems in BMW forums since then. I called them and talked to the shop manager that does them. They do hundreds of u-joint replacements and shaft rebuilds each year since so I took this chance. The rebuild includes grease fittings on the u-joints. To get a spare drive shaft bought a fleabay "low miles" swing arm/final drive assembly including the shaft and lo and behold one of the U-joint bearings had a catch in it. The original one in my bike was in good shape with no catching or roughness but it had 120,000 miles on it and I wanted to replace it before trouble.

1 hour ago, dduelin said:

I have a drive shaft in my 2007 RT that was refurbished by Machine Service Inc of Green Bay, WI. Dirtrider mentioned them above. The charge was $260 and the turnaround was one week when done two years ago. I didn't install it until 3,500 miles ago.

There were some reports of reliability problems with MSI rebuilds back maybe 6-8 years ago but my research didn't turn up any problems in BMW forums since then. I called them and talked to the shop manager that does them. They do hundreds of u-joint replacements and shaft rebuilds each year since so I took this chance. The rebuild includes grease fittings on the u-joints. To get a spare drive shaft bought a fleabay "low miles" swing arm/final drive assembly including the shaft and lo and behold one of the U-joint bearings had a catch in it. The original one in my bike was in good shape with no catching or roughness but it had 120,000 miles on it and I wanted to replace it before trouble.

Hi Dave,

I recognize you from another site. Thanks for the note.  I'll be speaking with them tomorrow.   Be well.