IGNORED

1250 Riding Modes

Twisties

I thought maybe there would be some old threads from when the 1250's first came out on the riding modes.  Search was not my friend.  Didn't find anything.  BMW's descriptions are a little sparse.  

It seems there are adjustments to throttle response - likely including HP and Torque, to suspension including ride height/preload/travel and damping and possibly the bike's geometry, to traction control and to ABS.  

I've had my bike a week and rode it home from the dealers on a great road, CO-141.  It was in Dynamic Pro and that was wonderful for the sporty ride.  Then I left and went to get Sharon's bike from Oregon, so haven't had much time to play with all this. 

Anyway, which modes do you use, and when?  What do they do?  Do you need to adjust the abs, dtc, or anything separately?

Both bikes came with street tires....  I have Anakees and hers has Bridgestone Battalax Adventure A41.  Mine's a 2020 and hers is 2021.  I think therefore they should be in Enduro, not Enduro Pro when on dirt.  Hers allows this, and she doesn't have the "encoding plug."  Mine has the encoding plug and only has Enduro Pro, as well as many fewer ride mode choices.  I turned the bike off, unplugged the encoding plug, and restarted it, but did not see any change, no Enduro mode.  Was it just not a thing in 2020?  What about Eco and some of the others I don't seem to have?   What is this encoding plug thing?  

I know, lots of questions....

Found this on Advrider.  

It seems that in 2021 they did away with the red plug (encoding plug) and all 7 modes are accessed through the vehicle settings menu.  Choose 4 active to toggle through on the handlebar button.  In 2020 the bike has all 7 modes but only 5 at a time...  Enduro and Dynamic without the red plug, Enduro Pro and Dynamic Pro with the plug.  It appears the only difference of Dynamic and Dynamic Pro is that the Pro version is customizable.  Since Enduro and Enduro Pro are optimized for different tires, and I need the Enduro version for street tires, I will ride without the plug for now.  Enduro Pro could be customized to be like Enduro, but I don't know how, and I don't feel any need to customize the pro modes at this time.... unless I learn something different.  

I think for Sharon we'll change her 4 selected modes to drop the Pro modes off her handlebar as well, so she doesn't accidently get on Enduro Pro with the street tires.

GS_ride_modes.JPG

• Like 1

I'm new to the 1250GS as well but just spent 1000 miles on the bike during the week of START. Tires first.  Not a fan of the A41s.  Mounted a set on my 1200GS and was disappointed in the grip and overall feel to the tires.  My 1250GS had a set and I replaced them with the Scorpion II Pirellis, no comparison from my perspective. My 1200GS came with Anakee's no complaints except for the noise one they had some miles. Loudest tire I've ever experienced on a motorcycle. I lived with the noise until they wore out but wouldn't use them again. 

Modes- I like engine mapping in dynamic and that's where I kept it.  Same with the old 1200GS and K1600 except when it rains and then I switch to rain mode.  For the most part I left the suspension in dynamic as well but my 1250GS is the HP model with the shocks from an adventure model.  With a 30 inch inseam it's a long reach to the ground and I would change to road in town and when I'm ready to get off the bike.  Road mode is also great if your not in the curves.  I did inadvertently leave the suspension in Road after leaving Helen and after a couple of curves immediately switched back to Dynamic. Haven't messed with dynamic pro yet need to install the plug and do some experimenting. 

• Like 1