IGNORED

05 RT Fuel Strip Question

Rotor

Spoke with a BMW dealer today about replacing my nonfunctional fuel strip.  During the conversation I made mention of the need to calibrate the strip as part of the repair.  He said there was no calibration needed.  I then told him if that was true, I would just purchase the part from them and repair it myself.  He said call back Tuesday and speak with the BMW mechanic – who wasn’t there today.

I have always been under the impression calibration of the strip was required and BMW had to perform the task because their diagnostic equipment is required to do so. 

Would someone clarify this for me?  I’m perfectly capable of replacing the strip myself.

Regards,

dirtrider
1 hour ago, Rotor said:

Spoke with a BMW dealer today about replacing my nonfunctional fuel strip.  During the conversation I made mention of the need to calibrate the strip as part of the repair.  He said there was no calibration needed.  I then told him if that was true, I would just purchase the part from them and repair it myself.  He said call back Tuesday and speak with the BMW mechanic – who wasn’t there today.

I have always been under the impression calibration of the strip was required and BMW had to perform the task because their diagnostic equipment is required to do so. 

Would someone clarify this for me?  I’m perfectly capable of replacing the strip myself.

Regards,

Evening John 

It should be calibrated if you want it to be accurate. 

If you have access to a GS-911 you can install & calibrate it yourself. 

Thanks D.R.  I suspected so much.  Hopefully, the mechanic knows more about it than the gentleman I spoke with today.  If not, it's off to another dealership.  I'll let "a" dealer perform this one.  Then, I guess I'll need to look into the GS-911.  Going to need it eventually anyway.

Regards,