IGNORED

2018 R1200RT R&R Headlight Assembly - "Remove body bound rivet (2)"

Scott9999

Scott9999

Anyone know how to do this?  It looks like rubber, or soft metal, looks like it has a torx type head, but seems to be too soft to hold a tool.  I tried prying it up like a rubber rivet, no joy there, either.  Other than drilling it out and replacing it with a pop rivet during reassembly, anyone know how to remove this?

Thanks.

image.thumb.png.9b644aed30925ddab95923f4f6a1dfec.png

image.thumb.jpeg.b2198050d983f83c304e25af1b38aa02.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.ff3e64deba07d93b3948a0edb401b961.jpeg

The 'body bound rivet' is actually a screw, with a Phillips-type head. It has a coarse plastic thread, into an expanding plug. Unscrew and remove the central 'screw' part, then prise out the expanding outer body part, using fingernails or a thin screwdriver blade under the outer flange.

It's reusable if it's not damaged on removal. Reinstallation is the reverse of removal - push the expanding outer part into the panel and then screw in the central pin.

• Like 1

I would add make sure your Philips type head is well seated as dirt can make such plastic screws challenging to remove. 
A JIS (Japanese Industrial Standard) screw driver might benefit one’s efforts if your head does not fit. 🤨

• Like 1
Scott9999
5 hours ago, Hive1969 said:

I would add make sure your Philips type head is well seated as dirt can make such plastic screws challenging to remove. 
A JIS (Japanese Industrial Standard) screw driver might benefit one’s efforts if your head does not fit. 🤨

Well, it was after 10 pm when I got to this part.  I had successfully removed another push-type "body bound rivet", and this one was different.  Since I wasn't certain from the service manual picture what I was dealing with, and BMW didn't bother to differentiate between the two (let alone offer suggestions on tools or methods for removal), I tossed this question up to avoid the cost and delay of buying little replacement parts, when I inevitably mucked it up during removal.

Thanks guys, for the tip(s).  I've learned that the key to removing a tough-to-remove screw with an inferior head (i.e. flat, Philips, or maybe, made of plastic) is to secure good purchase (i.e. make solid contact & adequate pressure) between the screw and the tool.  I have a bunch of different Phillips screwdrivers, and one of 'em should do the job.

Scott9999

Follow-up, just to give others an Idea of what we're dealing with.  The screws came out easily, standard phillips head, once I knew what I was dealing with.  Again, it is important to keep the pressure up against the crews, or they will cam out on you easily, too.   Note:  I had to raise the windshield arms up to get to these screws.

image.thumb.jpeg.554e7d041be66fee4bdb1291da0a2ee4.jpeg

By comparison, this push type carries the same description, and the service manual provides no clues how these are removed (yeah, any have way service tech ain't asking these kind of questions).

image.thumb.jpeg.b9bec66bbc090c101a539d8d25a51ca3.jpeg

Scott9999
2 hours ago, MikeB60 said:

Here you go. 

But why?

I can break them perfectly well just using screwdrivers, needle nosed pliers, razer blades, and a putty knife.   :5146:

:dopeslap:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A tiny dab of coarse valve grinding paste (or similar abrasive) on the screwdriver tip will help prevent tool slippage 👍🏻

• Like 2
17 hours ago, Scott9999 said:

But why?

I can break them perfectly well just using screwdrivers, needle nosed pliers, razer blades, and a putty knife.   :5146:

:dopeslap:

Put a nice edge on that putty knife, it helps mangle things even better!

• Haha 1