IGNORED

Intermittent Brake failure light - '06 RT

DJDixon

My '06 R1200RT is intermittently having the issue of the brake failure light not clearing when the bike starts rolling.  I am careful to wait for the red and orange triangles to clear before moving, and don't touch the brakes until they clear.  When the light stays on, I can usually shut the bike down, wait, and restart and the light clears when I start rolling.

The other day however, the light would not clear even with a restart.  When the light is on, there is no servo assist (front or rear) and braking power is cut substantially.  I did manage to ride it a couple of blocks to get it home (on back roads and very slowly!) but the minor braking ability is downright scary!

That is the only time I have been able to pull a code on the GS-911, it stated the front brake switch had an issue, but it was listed as a 1 time failure in the past.  The code cleared and has not reappeared, though I have gotten the intermittent brake failure light and restarted the bike (which cleared the issue) with no code stored.  

The question is, should I replace the front brake switch, or is there an adjustment of some kind I should do?  Right now, the brakes are working fine but the nearest dealer is ~60 minutes away in Las Vegas and if I leave the bike with them I have no way to get home (unless I rent a car - $$$).  Ideas??

dirtrider
8 hours ago, DJDixon said:

My '06 R1200RT is intermittently having the issue of the brake failure light not clearing when the bike starts rolling.  I am careful to wait for the red and orange triangles to clear before moving, and don't touch the brakes until they clear.  When the light stays on, I can usually shut the bike down, wait, and restart and the light clears when I start rolling.

The other day however, the light would not clear even with a restart.  When the light is on, there is no servo assist (front or rear) and braking power is cut substantially.  I did manage to ride it a couple of blocks to get it home (on back roads and very slowly!) but the minor braking ability is downright scary!

That is the only time I have been able to pull a code on the GS-911, it stated the front brake switch had an issue, but it was listed as a 1 time failure in the past.  The code cleared and has not reappeared, though I have gotten the intermittent brake failure light and restarted the bike (which cleared the issue) with no code stored.  

The question is, should I replace the front brake switch, or is there an adjustment of some kind I should do?  Right now, the brakes are working fine but the nearest dealer is ~60 minutes away in Las Vegas and if I leave the bike with them I have no way to get home (unless I rent a car - $$$).  Ideas??

Morning  DJDixon

Without an actual fault code it is difficult to tell much over the internet.  It could be a failing brake light switch but without an active fault showing at time of brake failure that isn't a sure thing. 

There is no (official)  adjustment of the front brake switch but you can bend the switch reed a little to get the switch to activate sooner.

If you get another brake failure you might try turning the key off, then lightly push the brake lever forward (away from the grip), then do a re-start & see if the brakes then work normally.  (this can give you an idea on if a new switch or switch reed bending can eliminate the problem)

Otherwise see if you can grab a present brake failure code when the problem is active.

You can also set your GS-911 up to trap data then see how the brake switches react. 

The usual cause of  brake failure on the BMW 1200RT  I-ABS system is a failing internal brake pressure sensor but an external brake switch can also cause a brake failure.