IGNORED

Inflatable vests

John Ranalletta

Well I wear a Mustang 100, but it doesn't self inflate until you have been under water 4 seconds....but I bet you are thinking of something else John :4322:

• Like 1
marcopolo

I’m wearing Helite, primarily because Bernie bought one with a discount code, and he gave it to me. Also, from my research, I just felt that Helite had a bit better  product support network. Do not know whether that’s actually true, but that’s what I felt at the time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I use the hitair. It was $100 cheaper in Amazon. Same type as the Helite  and I cannot tell the real difference. 

John Ranalletta
22 minutes ago, marcopolo said:

I’m wearing Helite, primarily because Bernie bought one with a discount code, and he gave it to me. Also, from my research, I just felt that Helite had a bit better  product support network. Do not know whether that’s actually true, but that’s what I felt at the time.

Will Bernie buy one for me? :18:

• Haha 2
3 hours ago, Bernie said:

The Helite has a level2 Back protector build in, the Hit-air doesn't.

My jackets have the back protector already so didn't need that part.  Forgot that was the difference and why I went for the cheaper style. 

• Like 2

Helite Turtle. I prefer the tether activation and easy DIY "reset" after activation.  A 10% discount and free spare gas cylinder at the BMWMOA rally helped. Electronic options at the time of purchase were not only much more expensive initially, but required shipping back to the European factory after activation and factory maintenance every few years. I need to remember to buckle the tether, but I don't need to remember to turn it on or off, or maintain another rechargeable battery.

My only activation was when I dropped the bike in a U-turn from a stop. I don't really know what happened, it was the third one that day and not really all that tight. Too cautious and slow, probably. I was not aware of the pop, just wondered why I felt so stiff while bending over to pick up the bike. No scrapes or bruises, no damage to the vest. I replaced the gas cylinder with the spare from my glove compartment and was fully protected again before I left the scene. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
realshelby

Helite Turtle II.  I am comfortable with the tether activation. I understand the electronic units have advantages....and disadvantages. I want something ready to go anytime I hop on the bike ( no charge level concerns...). I am very much impressed with the level 2 back protector built into the Helite unit. It seems to have a larger coverage area than other brands. It also looks like it may support the neck/helmet better when deployed ( that is an opinion of mine based on how large the support area becomes when activated compared to others). I like that you can screw in a new cannister if needed while on a trip. I keep one with me. 

When you remove the back protector from your jacket ( recommended by Helite) this vest is quite comfortable. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Helite Turtle.  Mine has to be 5 or 6 years old.    I like the simplicity of operation and the ability to recharge after an inadvertent inflation event. 

Plenty of testimonials to the effectiveness in a crash.  I've witnessed three tension pneumothorax injuries (two open and one closed) don't want to be that guy on the side of the road waiting for someone who knows how the treat the issue.   As realshelby stated, I also believe the Helite provides some support to the head and neck.   

• Like 1

I like the back pad in the Helite Turtle 2. My RoadCrafter Classic 2pc does not have a back pad and I used to wear a separate back pad harness under my suit.

The Helite provides a larger coverage area and has simplified my setup. 

• Thanks 1
marcopolo

I did not like the feel of the Helite back protector, and took it out.  I rely on the CE Level 2 back protector in BMW Rallye jacket, and in my Klim Kodiak jacket.

• Thanks 1

Helite Turtle 2 in Hiviz yellow.  I also like the mechanical tether and the way the collar supports the helmet when the vest inflates.  

My first tether was damaged by the hot muffler when it dropped off my seat at a rest stop.  I have travelled by plane with it twice.  Each airline (and customs/security) have different rules about the CO2 cartridges so read up on that if you have to fly.  The good thing is that self-inflating vests (for motorcycling, horse jumping and sailing) are becoming more common and the rules are getting simpler.  

It does reduce airflow, but I was OK in South America when temps were in the 90's F.  

Mike C

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
The Rocketman

Helite Turtle which I bought right after I saw @Boxflyer get rear ended by a car a few feet behind me during a road trip to New Hampshire last year. Brad's bike got hit hard. He got up with hardly a scratch. I started shopping for one within days. Too bad they don't make inflatable vests that wrap around RT's.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Smile 1
On 5/1/2022 at 1:18 PM, John Ranalletta said:

Which brand are you using and why that brand?

TIA

Aside from price, I have not found there to be much difference between the Helite and HitAir.

Like others here, I prefer a tether to a battery/electronics. Less can go wrong.

Back pad/no back pad is a personal choice.

There are several videos on YouTube for each type/brand. Watch some, and you'll know what you want.

Edit: I guess I should have said. I use a HitAir vest, but I'm a cheap bastard...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Late to the party but Im running with the KLIM and really love it. Feel naked at this point without it.

J

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...