IGNORED

Sena Helmet Speakers

Dave P

Hi folks, I installed a Sena SMH-10 on my helmet over the winter (with the little internal speakers) and for the first time in 37 years, I listened to music while riding. It was pretty cool.

I always wear foamys while riding. With the phone volume all the way up, and the Sena volume all the way up, I really couldn't hear Eddie Van all that well.

Doesn't seem like the speakers have much guts. It's ok but 2 click louder would be nice. Does anyone have any suggestions on a way to get a couple extra DBs? Maybe different ear plugs would be a viable option. Upgraded speakers maybe? But I'm cheap you know, doesn't seem like I should have to drop extra coin so I can actually hear the tunes... Thanks! Dave

My SMH10 also seemed to need max volume most of the time for music.  Sometimes two clicks down on the wheel was OK. Audio books for freeway droning never worked out, took too much concentration to hear.   Picked up a used Sena 20S and found that I never need full volume, and spoken word is much clearer.  I don't know if the improvement is in the amp or the speakers or both.

It occurs to me now that earplugs rated something less than the NRR 33 foamies I use might have worked better.

Have you updated your firmware lately? My 20s improved dramatically after updating. Worth a shot. 

Does your SMH 10 have a 3.5mm jack for earbuds?

My 20s does, and I use Ear Fuze buds instead of the speakers. 

No need to turn the volume up, and no need for separate ear plugs, because they are molded to my ears. Just one idea...

https://earfuze.com/

Of course if you have no jack, you'll need to find a different solution.

• Like 1

I had to run my Sena 10U at max volume when I was above 45 MPH when using Hearos foam earplugs.  I just switched to EarPeace earplugs on a recommendation, now I am running two to three clicks down and can hear just fine.  I can hear the bike too, even though it is quite quiet.  I did go for their Moto Pro with the Ultra Max filters (26 db reduction) as I am 67 and want to keep my ears working!  Highly recommended!

Rinky- I'll have to ask my 19 year old daughter about updating my firmware. Not sure how to do that. Ha!

DJ- Just looked at the EarPeace plugs, I think I might get a set of those. $40, not gonna break the bank. I've always liked the foamys cause Ive got a box of 1000 of them at work, (and at least 3 in every pair of pants) not a big deal if I lose them.

Guess it's not 1993 anymore! Got the tech Bluetooth Sena, probably time to match it with tech ear plugs. Dave

First a little background.  I had an Autocom and used a set of Arizona Al's earplugs with the speakers (still have a couple of them and fortunately, E.A.R. whose products Arizona Al sold, is over on the Denver side of the Rockies, five hours away, so a fitting appointment and back home is a one-day thing).  Those earbud speakers are phenomenal and, although Al Schibi is no longer with us, I recommend this setup to anyone who does long days and high miles.  Call E.A.R. and see what they can do for you via a remote fitting through a qualified audiologist (800.525.2690) or find another source for the same thing.  However, on short rides with multiple stops, the earbud/speakers were so sealing that they had to come out at every stop, and then be reinserted.

I had much the same problem that DaveP has described above when I switched from my Autocom to a set of SENA 20S headsets.  The 20S has a 3.5mil plug, and using the earbuds/speakers was STILL a pain on short rides with multiple sightseeing stops (though not on long-distance rides where we go 3 hours between gas stops).  Helmet off, earbuds out,  earbuds in, helmet on, etc.  So I installed the Sena speakers in my helmet and went to foamies to reduce wind and ambient noise for short rides.  But the speakers weren't loud enough.  So I thought about what the foam ear plugs do and how they do it.  And I realized that their ability to block noise is somewhat dependent on how dense they are.  When rolled into a a narrow cylindrical shape and inserted in the ear canal, they expand.  But they don't expand fully, because your ear canal is narrower than the foamies in their natural state.  That makes for a VERY dense foam blockage at the narrowest part of the ear canals.  That's why they work so well at keeping out noise.  And for us motorcyclists, that's also the problem. 

So I took a new set of foamies and cut them in half lengthwise.  That was too much as sometimes they wouldn't seal entirely when expanded.  Then I tried cutting only about 40% of their size off.  Better, but not perfect.  Now at 30% reduction in circumference and I'm getting an excellent seal and not quite as much sound blockage.  With full-size foamies I was in a world of total silence that almost nothing could penetrate.  Now, I have the blockage of wind noise and "helmet thrum" that I desire, but i can hear ambient noises at road speed just enough to make things safer.  It's a quiet ride, but not a silent one.  I hear the sound of approaching cars (tires on the highway).  I hear car horns.  I can hear civilians, who talk to me when stopped (like at rest areas when they ask me how I like my bike --- usually while my helmet is still in place).  I can hear my passenger just fine over the intercom as well as other riders similarly equipped.   And I can hear the music.  Also, when stopping with others where everyone removes their helmets, I leave the foamies in place and can pretty much hear conversation.  Those in our group who see the foamies, usually speak up a bit, so all is good.  No reinsertion required.  Just pop the helmet back on and all is good.

I would suggest, before springing for more ear plugs, that you take a pair of foamies and narrow them down lengthwise.  I did it with an X-Acto at first, but now just do it with scissors.  Try reducing their circumference with a 50% reduction.  If that works, great.  If not, only cut 40% off.  Then 30.  Heck, you may find one reduction amount works for one ear and another for another ear.  Ear canals are not always equal in size.  I still recommend earbuds with speakers for long rides, especially when they involve upper-limit highway speeds (In CO where I now live, the interstate speed limit is 75, and I'm 50 miles from Utah, where it's 80).  But even at 65, they're the best solution.  For everything else, I use the cut-down foamies and have no problems.

It may be your windshield is your problem.  I recently got a 2022 R1250RT, I couldn't hear music forget about listening to news with the stock windscreen, I went with a Werks Quiet Ride.  What a difference, best windscreen for an RT!!!  I have a Sena 20s EVO with speakers and also custom earbuds.  The loudness is about the same with the helmet speakers vs the earbuds the quality is much better with my custom earbuds. 

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1

Sena '10 just does not have the volume needed for hwy. travel and wearing ear protection... I tried a lot of variations on this theme.. but with some but little improvement. The best improvement was to move the speakers closer to my ears, which was better, but then there was a little more discomfort with the speakers bodies rubbing against my ears. 

Someone once suggested changing to bluetooth ear buds but I have not tried those - they tend to be fiddly and can fall out when putting the helmet on and off. 

The following change, though not everyones option, I changed to a Cardo Packtalk Bold (Amazon $211.) with JBL speakers.  Now that was a major upgrade in sound quality & volume and I have stuck with this. 

EffBee- You know, I was thinking about trying a little mod to a couple Foamys, see what I get. My thought was to sharpen a small brass tube and try to core out the center. D

realshelby

Speaker placement is critical. Have to be centered over the ear canal. The new Sena I bought ( built into the RPHA helmet) is a "10" unit but MUCH louder than older versions. The new speakers are much better. But you would have to modify the wires to upgrade older units...so I went with the new system. But placement is still a bigger deal than you would realize until you get it right. 

Windshields....are going to make a system that you cannot hear at speed become quite legible and entertaining..........