IGNORED

New owner Question

Twisties

Just got the bike last night.  They gave me the big key fob thing and a little gray emergency key.  I just tried to operate the bike with the emergency key, just learning my way around.  No joy.  Read the manual, no help there.  What's the secret?  I know there's a secret because I actually figured out how to get the gas filler lid opened.  That was a really good thing, I will say.  :-)

Thanks

I don’t know about the GS, but the manual for my RT had a section, explaining where locate and how to use the plastic emergency key. One GS owner said he had to hold the plastic key inside the rear wheel fender to activate the start sequence. 

10 minutes ago, Bernie said:

I don’t know about the GS, but the manual for my RT had a section, explaining where locate and how to use the plastic emergency key. One GS owner said he had to hold the plastic key inside the rear wheel fender to activate the start sequence. 

Looks like that it.  It wasn't under the initial section on the spare key.  I didn't read far enough.  

Thanks Bernie

Had a blast riding it home.  210 miles of smiles... CO-141 through Gateway.  Drop dead gorgeous and plenty of lean angle to be had.  Barely another vehicle in sight.

• Like 2
  • Plus 1 2
On 4/27/2022 at 1:32 PM, Bernie said:

It's also the same if the battery in your key fob gets low.  The antenna is no longer a ring around the keyhole but is somewhere in the rear fender well.  So, if your key fob stops working hold it in the same area to try starting the bike.

• Like 2

You will be surprised how fast the key fob batteries die. I always travel with spares.

I actually had a fellow riders key fob die on a lunch ride. She had 2 new batteries in a sealed pack, she had only bought a few weeks before. Both of those batteries where dead in the package. I had a spare battery and installed it and she was able to continue. Never leave home without some spare batteries or instructions on how to start the bike with a dead key fob.

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1
2 hours ago, Bernie said:

You will be surprised how fast the key fob batteries die. I always travel with spares.

I actually had a fellow riders key fob die on a lunch ride. She had 2 new batteries in a sealed pack, she had only bought a few weeks before. Both of those batteries where dead in the package. I had a spare battery and installed it and she was able to continue. Never leave home without some spare batteries or instructions on how to start the bike with a dead key fob.

When I saw the earlier posts about that silly, useless plastic key, I said "Whoa.... wait a minute, maybe I'd better not toss those things after all."  🤣🙄😖  I've got two of them.

I then reviewed the convoluted, 22 page instructions for how to USE the danged things, and thought to myself, what if:  "It's cold, rainy, I'm in the middle of nowhere, my FOB just died, and I have no recollection of all the dang steps I read about how to use the emergency key, I have no internet.  I have the user's manual on my smart phone, but the DUMB phone is dead.   I hate BMW!"   All those emergency key steps are NOT obvious, and WAY overly complicated.   So, yeah, extra FOB batteries ... gotta have 'em on trips  (Will probably tape a package inside my glove box. Along with the emergency key instructions, for when those batteries are ALSO dead.)

On 4/27/2022 at 3:20 PM, Twisties said:

... CO-141 through Gateway. ...

Coming in at #5 on the all-time best roads in CO!  :18:

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Bernie said:

My two year old R1250GS with 63k miles is only on the second key fob battery.

• Like 1

Don’t store fob close to bike. They “communicate” and run the fob battery down I’ve been told. I’ve only replaced mine because I thought I should not because I had to. 

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1

Costco has a sale special on a dozen Duracell CR2032's for $10, and the label says good through 2032.   I was thinking, "Hmm, I betcha that I can thinik of at least ONE device in my garage that needs these, and that when I need these, it'd be awful nice to have them on hand.".  Just had to verify that the FOB uses 'em, and I'm pretty sure I have other remotes in the house that also use these.  I'll get 'em, change out  my current battery, and tape a couple of extras inside the glove box.

CR2032's on sale now

Hmm, free shipping too, so, I just bought 'em online.  MY fob ain't gunna run dry!  😁

• Like 2
11 hours ago, Scott9999 said:

Costco has a sale special on a dozen Duracell CR2032's for $10, and the label says good through 2032.   I was thinking, "Hmm, I betcha that I can thinik of at least ONE device in my garage that needs these, and that when I need these, it'd be awful nice to have them on hand.".  Just had to verify that the FOB uses 'em, and I'm pretty sure I have other remotes in the house that also use these.  I'll get 'em, change out  my current battery, and tape a couple of extras inside the glove box.

CR2032's on sale now

Hmm, free shipping too, so, I just bought 'em online.  MY fob ain't gunna run dry!  😁

Thanks for this link.  Thats a great price.  I always like to carry spares of mission critical batteries.