IGNORED

Motorcycle garage-lifts for the RT?

robofavo

I've been toying with the thoughts of purchasing a lower cost motorcycle lift VS..one of those all-out drive onto lifts typical in motorcycle shops.
We've all crawled around on the floor of our garages long enough to appreciate having ones motorcycle at least a few added inches off the floor to ease those times when working on motorcycle lower extremities.
I currently own an '19 RT but have noticed its "undercarriage" is just about all exhaust pipes and appears to be NOT friendly to your typical lift platforms.  
Has anyone used a particular brand of lift with their RT or McGyver'd a solution to support an RT using a simple frame lift?

Thanks for any & all thoughts & comments. ;-) 

I did this to a HF lift for my R 1200 C.  I know the RT has a different layout, but this is an idea to get you in the right direction.  

A quick look under my bike reveals there are some points to have blocks or brackets (similar to mine).  Maybe use the top of a jackstand(s) to secure to the lift.  Straps!  Don't forget straps.

image.thumb.jpeg.7fe74d7de6eb7ab64422004eb6ca1d0d.jpeg

20171029_115044 (3).jpg

• Like 2

I can use a jack on my bike without having to modify it, and have used it a few times.

Since I got my table lift, the jack has been used maybe 3 times in the last twenty years.

Yes, table lifts are expensive and take up room, but they make working on the bike so much safer and easier. Those jacks also make it difficult to do some of the regular maintenance, it's tough to get an oil pan under there, and it gets in the way of some other tasks.

The jack does make removing wheels pretty easy, as well as cleaning them, but I have a jack for the table that makes it easy as well, and a little more stable.

• Like 2

This was also an idea I saw years ago for a cheap table lift, build three boxes and a ramp, roll the bike up, remove the middle box if more room is needed, boxes store easier than the table.IMG_20220426_174232429.thumb.jpg.1411164da847321222e72149c47988fe.jpg

• Like 3

I lucked out when my local BMW motorcycle shop folded and snagged their showroom Handy lift for a song. They now go for upwards of $1600. It’s heavy, cumbersome, too big for my garage, but it’s still wonderful. Storing my Airhead on it takes some of the sting out of the room it requires. I’ve moved residences with it twice. Almost sold it once but backed out because everyone tried lowballing me. I guess my wife will have to deal with it when I pass. 😎

94DF653E-E957-4355-8AF0-77CDFAF6CC7F.jpeg

A3D636ED-91A1-4421-A2EB-CD565A9445DD.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Plus 1 1
8 hours ago, Hosstage said:

table lifts are expensive and take up room

Indeed, but only if they are not sunken into the floor of the garage/shed. Of course helps if one has the lift already when planning and building said garage :D

IMG_1116.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Plus 1 1

A lift does not need to take much space when it is not in use.  

image.png.7dabc6c315efcdacf242e700ee2f100e.png

Mine is here about 70% of the time.   About 25% of the time it's used a rolling work table for non-motorcycle tasks. Most horizontal surfaces in my garage become junk collectors, so storing the lift along the wall keeps that from happening.

• Like 5

So true on the surfaces collecting crap, my motto is "all flat surfaces will be occupied".

I leave my table unraised just for that reason, otherwise it will become another table full of detris that will take twenty minutes to remove to use the table.

• Like 1

We use the Harbor Freight foot pumped moto lift.  We bought in 2007 and paid under $300.  Still works like new.  As for it taking space, you can store things on it, store a bike on it, store it under a table, and it's useful for other things like loading a bike onto a truck bed, working on lawn equipment, etc.  Very satisfied with this purchase

• Plus 1 2
  • Thanks 1
5 hours ago, lkraus said:

Yeah, exactly how stored it before I built that shed for the bike and all the junk accumulated over time. It was amazing how much room there was suddenly to get in and out of the two cars in the main garage of the house after moving into the shed.

23 hours ago, Hosstage said:

This was also an idea I saw years ago for a cheap table lift, build three boxes and a ramp, roll the bike up, remove the middle box if more room is needed, boxes store easier than the table.IMG_20220426_174232429.thumb.jpg.1411164da847321222e72149c47988fe.jpg

Super Clever! I like the simplicity of this idea. And low cost!

9 hours ago, lkraus said:

image.png.7dabc6c315efcdacf242e700ee2f100e.png

Mine is here about 70% of the time.   About 25% of the time it's used a rolling work table for non-motorcycle tasks. Most horizontal surfaces in my garage become junk collectors, so storing the lift along the wall keeps that from happening.

You lift vertical by yourself?

• Like 1
5 hours ago, KDeline said:

You lift vertical by yourself?

Quite easily. It's not that heavy, plus you only pivot around one end, so never lift the entire thing.

• Thanks 1

It's not so terribly heavy, and you will notice that the heavy end is down. Requires less effort than lifting a tipped-over RT.

A lightweight block and tackle attached to the wall would ease the lift, probably less than $15 worth of hardware.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I have a narrow foldable lift. ( I added a plate to fit the center stand)

I use a scissor lift and a wood block under the engine to support the front when I need to remove the front wheel.

Otherwise the center stand is enough

20200810_155446 1.jpg

20200810_155508.jpg

Red Rock Motorcycle lift dimensions SKU 8708299.jpg

• Like 3
Scott9999

Don't have the space for this right now, but I've come around to thinking that this is the best of the bunch.  One day it's what I'll probably buy.

Abba Sky Lift

Sky Lift in Horizontal position

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Scott9999 said:

Don't have the space for this right now, but I've come around to thinking that this is the best of the bunch.  One day it's what I'll probably buy.

Abba Sky Lift

Sky Lift in Horizontal position

I think I'm going to order one of these as soon as they come back in stock...I'll let you know my thoughts on it.

• Like 2
On 5/7/2022 at 11:14 PM, Dann said:

I have a narrow foldable lift. ( I added a plate to fit the center stand)

I use a scissor lift and a wood block under the engine to support the front when I need to remove the front wheel.

Otherwise the center stand is enough

20200810_155446 1.jpg

20200810_155508.jpg

Red Rock Motorcycle lift dimensions SKU 8708299.jpg

Who makes this lift?

• 2 months later...
On 5/11/2022 at 6:42 PM, jcwvfr said:

Who makes this lift?

It looks like it is similar to a Kendon:  https://www.kendonusa.com/collections/stand-up-folding-motorcycle-lifts

The "cruiser" model form Kendon looks like the drop down for the rear wheel could be too far back for an RT, the sport may be a little too light duty(?). 

Ideal would be built in floor like shown earlier but heavy duty enough to lift a car with attachments for the lift points, now I am dreaming of something that I could never afford to do!

Quickjack has a way to convert their twin car lifts into a bed for a motorcycle lift, but my primary use would be the motorcycle or a utility lift for lawn mowers or other items, plus a general table when needed.

• 4 months later...

I just got the Abba Sky Lift - couldn't be happier, excellent heavy duty quality materials and stupid fast shipping from the UK to TX, 1 week.

I like that to stores in a small foot print and I can take a couple of the legs off and store it in an even smaller area.

IMG_20221209_144630.jpg

IMG_20221209_144859.jpg

IMG_20221209_145206.jpg

IMG_20221209_145212.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
On 12/14/2022 at 3:49 PM, Mellow said:

I just got the Abba Sky Lift - couldn't be happier, excellent heavy duty quality materials and stupid fast shipping from the UK to TX, 1 week.

I like that to stores in a small foot print and I can take a couple of the legs off and store it in an even smaller area.

On 4/26/2022 at 6:45 PM, Hosstage said:

This was also an idea I saw years ago for a cheap table lift, build three boxes and a ramp, roll the bike up, remove the middle box if more room is needed, boxes store easier than the table.

I like it, but with the cost of plywood now the steel table with an air compressor to lift it may be the cheap route.

On the other hand, if you can find a source for second-hand wood, build the boxes so that they nest and don't take up much room, or don't nest and you can turn 'em over and store all the leftover parts from the clutch job.  

I can tell you this, having a table under the bike is HUGE.  For tools, parts, puddles, manuals, testers, laptops, cell phones, beer cans, and other necessaries for first order work on modern, complex, highly technical machines.  It must be at the right height, too.  It's so fatiguing having to bend over to reach my beer.

• Smile 1
  • Haha 2
John Ranalletta
1 hour ago, Lowndes said:

I like it, but with the cost of plywood now the table with an air compressor to lift it may be the cheap route.

On the other hand, if you can find a source for second-hand wood, build the boxes so that they nest and don't take up much room, or don't nest and you can turn 'em over and store all the leftover parts from the clutch job.  

I can tell you this, having a table under the bike is HUGE.  For tools, parts, puddles, manuals, testers, laptops, cell phones, beer cans, and other necessaries for first order work on modern, complex, highly technical machines.  It must be at the right height, too.  It's so fatiguing having to bend over to reach my beer.

Hey, I know storage space for a Handy-type lift is important, but if you can, even if it's tad inconvenient, go with a Handy-type with extensions.  When I had a shop, the moto was parked on the lift.  When I was building go karts and 3-wheelers for the grandkids, the Handy was a great work platform.

image.thumb.png.00c7546527c19c04f9b1e687516db8ca.png

• Like 2
14 hours ago, Bulitt said:

Mellow, any idea if this lift will work on a DCT Wing?

You'd have to contact them to ask but I think the weight of the wing and k1600 might be too close to the max weight limits. 

The limit is 400 kb or 881 lbs.. well above the RTs weight but very close to the Wing DCT (800+ lbs) or K1600 (700+ lbs).

But, it's not over the max to maybe they have the adapter bits that work on the swingarms for those bikes.  I haven't seen anyone used the Sky Lift for those.

As for storage, you can see it stored with legs on or off.

IMG_20221209_180954.jpg

IMG_20221209_155902.jpg

• Like 1

I have moved into the "Buy the Harbor Freight lift table now" camp. Darn-near every biker who has crested 70 years old says, "Don't wait. You won't regret it." 

My next run to Missoula will find an HF lift in the suburban on the return trip. 

I've worked on bikes using most types of lifts, jacks, and a whole lot with nothing but the ground. I can categorically say that the table lift is by far the best and easiest method. There are certain activities that might work better off the lift, but those are very few, and I feel it much better to have the table and not need it all the time, than to need it and not have it. Another point that might help make the decision is that a repair or service that might otherwise be pushed off because it's a pia is now much more likely to be done because it is much more pain free with the table. Also what often happens is that while the bike is up on the table, and you're just sitting there and relaxing, looking at it after completing the planned work, you often find other little things that can get done that get forgotten or pushed off normally. Or you just see something new to deal with.

Of course negatives are the space needed, and the cost.

It also makes a good platform for working on so many other things, lawnmower, atv, snowblower, many other projects, and makes a good booze table for parties. That last part I have proven many times!

• Like 4

Hmmm, I just want the lift/table so that I can mount the bike on it, leave the garage door open, and let all the neighbors envy me as they drive by the house.  🤣🤣😎

• Like 1
  • Smile 3
  • Haha 4

I have a ride on lift where I always park one of my bikes in what used to be a two car garage; now dedicated to only my two Beemers. Glad I bought it twelve years ago! 👍

If I stop riding and get rid of bike related items in the garage, the bike lift will certainly stay. I have used it for other projects (some mentioned by others) as it is very convenient to have a table/bench that can be adjusted for a comfortable working height.

C8112913-7AF8-473D-BAE8-8327FF7B8B13.jpeg

• Like 4
On 12/23/2022 at 6:23 AM, RK Ryder said:

I have a ride on lift where I always park one of my bikes in what used to be a two car garage; now dedicated to only my two Beemers. Glad I bought it twelve years ago! 👍

If I stop riding and get rid of bike related items in the garage, the bike lift will certainly stay. I have used it for other projects (some mentioned by others) as it is very convenient to have a table/bench that can be adjusted for a comfortable working height.

C8112913-7AF8-473D-BAE8-8327FF7B8B13.jpeg

Great looking garage ........ and I love the salon chairs on wheels. Nice repurpose job :18:

22 hours ago, MachineJoe said:

Great looking garage ........ and I love the salon chairs on wheels. Nice repurpose job :18:

Thank you. The chairs come in handy when neighbours stop by for a chat and for when I watch movies that are loud or genres (opera, action, documentaries or epic) that my wife does not enjoy.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
On 4/27/2022 at 1:00 PM, Twisties said:

We use the Harbor Freight foot pumped moto lift.  We bought in 2007 and paid under $300.  Still works like new.  As for it taking space, you can store things on it, store a bike on it, store it under a table, and it's useful for other things like loading a bike onto a truck bed, working on lawn equipment, etc.  Very satisfied with this purchase

Ya know, I think it could also double as my new weld bench! And they are now $600 at HF...

On 12/20/2022 at 7:42 PM, Scott9999 said:

Hmmm, I just want the lift/table so that I can mount the bike on it, leave the garage door open, and let all the neighbors envy me as they drive by the house.  🤣🤣😎

Me too! I live on a lonely cul de sac though. 

11 hours ago, Rinkydink said:

Me too! I live on a lonely cul de sac though. 

No problem.  Just add those little lawn signs around the neighborhood and at intersections, saying "Look what I've got in MY garage, that you only WISH you hand in yours!  HaHaHaHaHa!"  

Ok, ok, so it's a bit juvenile, but it's the "mancave" principle of the thing, even if they egg your house for doing it.

On a unrelated but similar topic side note:  I went out to Harbor Freight to see if I could pick up, maybe a $20 or $30 crawler, to do some work on the car this weekend.   I decided that sliding around on cardboard really didn't work for the 265# whale that am I, but I didn't want to really spend much on something I'll hardly use, and worse, have no space to store.   So of course, I bought the $90 "best" professional version, because the cheapest thing they had was $44 for a stringy metal and pressed board crawler, with wheels that looked like they belonged on a baby crib.  (Meaning, I bought exactly the one Harbor Freight wanted me to buy, which is why they also "market" the P.O.S. crawler.)   It's a "first ever" purchase for me, and kind of makes my garage seem "all growed up".  Until the next thing comes up that I really don't need but "should" have.  Like, a brand new motorcycle lift!!!     :clap:

I had dumped 2/3's of my mostly equipped garage in 2015 when I sold my California home and set out for Idaho, giving a lot of common things away like a floor jack and jackstands, and other tools to my son in Sacramento.   7 years later, I've almost replaced it all.🙄 (Yeah, this is an unrelated rant, but I can relate it if I have to. 😁)

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...
professorb

Late to the party here, but I am putting in my vote for the Abba Sky Lift Pro. Very happy with mine! Shipped super fast from England -- I ordered on a Tuesday and it was delivered on Thursday (southwest CT, USA)! Easy to assemble, very high quality build. Takes up very little space in the garage. Easily supports my '21 RT -- very secure and stable. The ability to lift the front or rear wheels higher may come in handier than you might think. My back and my oft-replaced knees thank me for this purchase!

ABBA_SkyLift.Garage_CROP02.jpg

ABBA_SkyLift.Garage_CROP04.jpg

ABBA_SkyLift.Garage_CROP05.jpg

• Like 2

While the HF lifts work well for most, it has been recommended that the bolts be replaced with grade 8 to avoid the originals breaking and causing issues.