IGNORED

Reason 549 that riders need to practice slow speed maneuvering ....

Scott9999

For making that quick u-turn and get-away, while riding through Yellowstone.  🤣🤣🤣🤣

image.thumb.png.d9620a4ab73aebc566a1d86f4f09aa53.png

(There's a video about riders (mostly cruiser types) doing inane things around Buffalo's.  You don't need to see it to get the gist.)

• Like 1
szurszewski

We were first in line (k12 sidecar - slow speed is easy - u turn on Yellowstone two-lane not quite so easy) of traffic having to stop for a group meandering over the highway. Took about 20 minutes before we could make it through. A little intimidating being so close without an easy exit, but mostly an enjoyable experience. 

On another trip I was stuck in a line of stop and go a long time, and finally figured out my lane/side was going to so slowly because the oncoming lane had a single animal slowly walking up the center of the lane leading an even longer pack of traffic. I tried to get a video but my helmet cam shut down right before we were eye to eye. 

Have to see if I can find the clip…

… found it 

• Like 1

I always plant myself off a car's rear bumper when those things are in or near the road.  Right up tight, and push through behind the car.  It can be scary up close, and they stink.  DAMHIK.  

In the Roosevelt Grasslands the ranger told us they don't like bikes.  Having been through Yellowstone often, we brushed that off.  Well, a large bull bison saw us coming and stepped out into the road in front of us, a few hundred feet. Stamping, pawing and blowing.  No way I was going  to attempt to turn.  Backed down a quarter mile.  

A ranger stopped us in Yellowstone to tell us there was an elk hanging around that for some reason seemed mad at the world and was being a menace to cars, bikes, and pedestrians, told us to keep an eye out. Thanked him and luckily did not run into the elk. Wasn't sure what I would have done if I had.

Bison get as a wide berth as possible.

2 hours ago, Twisties said:

In the Roosevelt Grasslands the ranger told us they don't like bikes.  Having been through Yellowstone often, we brushed that off.  

The Harley video that I clipped that picture from also had segments where a rider was just about walking his bike through a herd of apparently, peaceful Bisson who were happy grazing and ignoring him.   As he passed a bull who was grazing with his rear towards the road, head downhill of the road towards an embankment, the bull suddenly reared up and reversed, bouncing and attacking the biker.  He made contact and the biker went over, but the rider didn't appear injured.  It didn't appear to be anything more than a warning head butt.   To the Bisson bull, I suppose a 1000 lb Harley is just another noisy bull competitor, so he was defining the limits of what he would tolerate.  What he apparently wouldn't tolerate was a Harley riding behind his hind quarter. 😁  It's possible that the Harley rider may have done something stupid like gunning his engine, but the guy didn't otherwise appear to be riding stupid.  

Moral of the story for me?   I ain't gonna get closer than a half mile from those suckers, no way, no how.  I once was young and bold and daring.  Now, I'm old and hurting and still alive. 🤣🤣🤣

• Like 1