IGNORED

Break In Dealer Service and Warranty Coverage

Fastfwd01

I'm a new owner of a R 1250 RS. I somehow managed to do about 400 miles on the bike the first day of ownership and I'm not sorry in the least honestly. The thing is that puts me close to my break-in service and I'm curious what is entailed in that service if anyone knows? I'm also curious how strict BMW is about warranty coverage if you do your own oil changes, etc.? If the 600 mile service is nothing but an oil change I'm pretty sure I can handle it. Otherwise, for $350+ I sure hope they are doing something pretty special. I think I heard the guy quote over an hour of labor involved. So, it must be more than an oil change?

The 600 mile service is primarily an engine oil and filter change plus a final drive oil change. If the dealer does it, they will reset the service interval and probably check for software updates.

I worked the 600 mile service into my purchase deal. At 576 miles the rear end oil was pretty dark. I will do all of my fluids from here on out. For 3 years or 36k miles I will use BMW oil and filters and document very well. 

Fastfwd… 600 mile service free from dealer is normal and common. I would recommend leaning on them for it to be no charge. They may not do it since you didn’t get it upfront in the deal (check your paper work it might be there in the we owe you section), but I would fuss at them pretty hard if they say no. 

7 hours ago, Skywagon said:

Fastfwd… 600 mile service free from dealer is normal and common. I would recommend leaning on them for it to be no charge. They may not do it since you didn’t get it upfront in the deal (check your paper work it might be there in the we owe you section), but I would fuss at them pretty hard if they say no. 

This dealer specifically had me sign an acknowledgement that they were charging for the first service. It appeared to be a standard practice with them. 

The deal is done. So, no crying about it now I guess.

I was glad to get the only white r1250rs with the Dynamic ESA available in the entire country. I was hunting for a blue one with Dynamic ESA and there were 3 (2 on west coast 1 on east coast). I found out the closest one in white was the only one available in the country and I just didn't bicker over it too much. 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Rinkydink said:

I love that color scheme. 

Thank you. I may remove the decals and see if that doesn't clean up the look of it. Just let that red frame set it off as being a little different. 

I wouldn't worry about the 600 mile service if you are happy with what you paid out the door.   You may of gotten other discounts to offset the 600 miles service cost, I personally only look at the out the door cost (bike and trade) to consider if I'm getting a good deal or not.

On 4/22/2022 at 11:01 PM, Fastfwd01 said:

I'm a new owner of a R 1250 RS. I somehow managed to do about 400 miles on the bike the first day of ownership and I'm not sorry in the least honestly. The thing is that puts me close to my break-in service and I'm curious what is entailed in that service if anyone knows? I'm also curious how strict BMW is about warranty coverage if you do your own oil changes, etc.? If the 600 mile service is nothing but an oil change I'm pretty sure I can handle it. Otherwise, for $350+ I sure hope they are doing something pretty special. I think I heard the guy quote over an hour of labor involved. So, it must be more than an oil change?

Morning  Fastfwd01

On the 600 mile run-in service I usually print out then follow the BMW appropriate service sheet just as if I was doing it as a dealer Tec, complete with signing the form & filling out all the info. 

I also add the service type, miles, & date in the riders manual.   

I then staple the oil/filter, gear oil & other receipts to the service sheet showing that I used the correct oil & correct filter that fully met BMW specifications. 

Service page below___

https://www.ascycles.com/ServiceSchedules/R1250RS-600-Service-Schedule

• Like 1