IGNORED

Replace Rear Wheel Cover and License Plate Bracket

Howard in PA

Howard in PA

Hi

So without me giving all the gory details why, I need to replace the Rear Wheel Cover and License Plate Bracket on my 2016 RT.  At first glance it seems like something I should be able to do, but figuring out how to remove everything that's in the way is the challenge (and re-install later too!).  So Plan B would be for me to buy the parts and then find some official place to do the work for me.  But I figured it's worth a shot trying to figure out myself first.

Here is what it looks like now
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NGVj4cNdb4WI-MJdfR-Uf-3e3muFci9w/view?usp=sharing

Here is a link to a PDF of the parts that seem to make up this cover, bracket, bolts, etc.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1k_xuXOFb4NzD7VKVMOINimzTjl5IK53s/view?usp=sharing

I know there are many YouTube videos about removing different panels etc. from our bikes but I can't find anything to get to this rear wheel cover.  It's easy, of course, to remove the seats, grab bars / luggage rack but I sort of stopped there for now.

Any help and advice would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Afternoon Howard

What you really need is a BMW service manual as that sort of explains the many steps required.  Nothing complicated but enough steps with things to loosen or remove to make it difficult to explain in a simple step by step reply here.  

Unfortunately the BMW service manual isn't just a number of straight forward pages with the steps laid out in order & fully explained, the manual breaks it down into a lot of subsets that need to be expanded to view and see the pictures with explanations. 

Again not complicated but the manual pictures & explanations  do help with what is required. 

I don't have the time right now to break it all out for you but possibly someone on this board does have the time to open all the subsets then copy and (PM) Personal Message them to you. (the BMW manual is copyright protected and there are probably enough pages & pictures involved that all that copyrighted info should not be posted in public here but should be lent to you through Personal Message with the intent that you destroy it after use).  

Howard in PA

Thanks.  Yeah I know having a real service manual would make things easier...!  I do have one of those non-BMW manuals by Haynes which is not much help.

I'm also thinking -- if you take a close look at the photo, the bottom piece of that whole thing swivels separately and can be removed, and I'd be done with it.  That would be a simple solution but would look kind of crappy (although better than it looks now!).  

56 minutes ago, Howard in PA said:

Thanks.  Yeah I know having a real service manual would make things easier...!  I do have one of those non-BMW manuals by Haynes which is not much help.

I'm also thinking -- if you take a close look at the photo, the bottom piece of that whole thing swivels separately and can be removed, and I'd be done with it.  That would be a simple solution but would look kind of crappy (although better than it looks now!).  

Evening Howard

Unfortunately your pictures are not opening for me so I can't see what you are working with. 

Howard… if it is just that bottom piece in your picture, I think it is just on a couple of plastic slide locks. I’ll look at mine later tonight. If so I would just cut those tabs off and slide a new one in. If it is the whole unit, that won’t work

Whoops. Never mind. After looking closer I see it is the whole unit

DR check you pm’s

Edited by Skywagon
Howard in PA
1 hour ago, dirtrider said:

Evening Howard

Unfortunately your pictures are not opening for me so I can't see what you are working with. 

I wish I knew better how to add a pic or file to these posts..  trying again, this time as attachments.

Back damage.jpg

cowl and cover max bmw.pdf

I looked it up. To summarize the procedure, just start at the front and work to the rear, removing everything you see. When you get to the license plate, reassemble.

:90:

PM coming your way.

Howard in PA

Thanks everyone, I appreciate your help with this.  Especially Larry for all your suggestions.  What a great group of folks.

18 hours ago, Howard in PA said:

Thanks everyone, I appreciate your help with this.  Especially Larry for all your suggestions.  What a great group of folks.

Morning Howard

That WAS real nice that Larry was able to help you out as breaking these manuals apart for sending is a lot of work.

Hopefully thanks to Larry you are in good shape if you want to replace the entire License Plate Bracket?

You m-i-g-h-t be able to save what you have & make it look sort of decent by just cutting/filing/sanding that rear License Plate Bracket damage to make it look symmetrical then replacing just the lower mud guard.  That will still leave some damage showing but that damage can probably be covered up with either a BMW rear fog light or even an aftermarket rear auxiliary  tail/brake light assembly.

Please excuse my rather crude photoshop work but it gives you an idea anyhow__

Backdamage.suggestion.JPG

Backdamage.jpg