IGNORED

OIL DISPLAY Showing Dashes

alexp

I'm just curious if someone else has this issue.  My oil emblem on the first display shows dash the entire time on the highway.  Once I stop at a light, now the OK light came on and stayed on.  Today it didn't work at all. Is this normal?

Thanks,

Alex

I don't believe that the oil level check works when the bike is moving. I have seen the same thing with my RS. Checked the site glass and the level was good. Stopped and with engine running it will display OK.

• Like 1

I have observed that oil light come on once and never put too much worry into it.  The oil level was in range when viewed in the glass.   I do not recall the exact circumstances when that oil light came on, but I am guessing that it occurred during a few miles after starting up for the day.   I never saw a fault code pertaining to it when I had the GS-911 hooked to it, which was quite a few months later.  

13 hours ago, alexp said:

I'm just curious if someone else has this issue.  My oil emblem on the first display shows dash the entire time on the highway.  Once I stop at a light, now the OK light came on and stayed on.  Today it didn't work at all. Is this normal?

Thanks,

Alex

Morning Alex

(­­­---) appearing on the dash display instead of a reading typically indicates the conditions for proper oil level determination  has not been met. 

The below requirements have to be met before it can give you a valid (OK) reading__

Rider needs to be sitting on the motorcycle and the motorcycle needs to have been ridden at or over a speed of 10 km/h (6.5 mph).

Engine needs to be up to operating temperature.

Engine needs to be warm & has been idling for at least 20 seconds.

Motorcycle  is standing upright on a somewhat level surface.

Side stand is retracted (up)  and the motorcycle is not on its center stand.

The spring strut is set correctly for the carried load, and/or ESA is set to Auto-load mode.

• Like 1

I have read it, but not all at once.  In fact, I vaguely remembered the symbol that lit up on the dash.  Thanks for the lesson. 

I do refer back to it periodically, as the need arises from threads like this.   :ohboy:

15 hours ago, taylor1 said:

Manual?        We don't need no stinkin manual  :3:

taylor1, I love it! Thats me too..  Thanks everyone for the lesson. I guess I'm ok. Awesome!   I love this bike!

I noticed that on mine and was going to ask at the next service. But then I noticed it was showing correctly so forgot about it.  Today (after my service this week) I noticed it was back. So now Im not sure.  

3 hours ago, Trilegy said:

I noticed that on mine and was going to ask at the next service. But then I noticed it was showing correctly so forgot about it.  Today (after my service this week) I noticed it was back. So now Im not sure.  

See my post on Sunday at 6:21am

13 hours ago, Trilegy said:

Morning strataj

Ride your motorcycle until the engine is up to  operating temperature, then with you sitting on the motorcycle with the warm engine idling FOR AT LEAST 20 seconds straight, also with the motorcycle held upright between your legs, & the brake not held on. If it THEN reads OK then you probably don't have an issue. 

After the above if you are still getting ( --- ) showing then get your dealer involved as you have an issue. 

12 hours ago, Trilegy said:

Well, I asked "Does anybody read their manual?

I guess I should have asked "Does anybody read the threads they are posting in?"

It's not like it's a long thread.

• Haha 1
41 minutes ago, lkraus said:

Well, I asked "Does anybody read their manual?

I guess I should have asked "Does anybody read the threads they are posting in?"

It's not like it's a long thread.

Afternoon Larry

There might be a problem with some riders (understanding) the manual.   

My brother-in-law is an educated individual with 2 master's degrees (neither in any sort of mechanical area).  He actually has less mechanical ability than a field mouse (actually I think the mouse has him beat by a fair amount).

He is (book) smart, very book smart, he is just not smart in mechanical or common sense things. 

I probably get 20 calls a year from him on things written in owners manuals or simple install instructions. He just doesn't have a mind that can understand those sort of instructions that most of us take for granted.  

I would almost guarantee that he would draw a blank on understanding the BMW riders manual about "Electronic oil level check" operation. But he IS smart enough to call someone that did (IF) he needed help.

Problem is, he is also the type that would not have any idea that he needed help, or that  (---) on the dash meant something, or needed attention. He is probably the person that RED dash warning lights were invented for.     

• Smile 1