IGNORED

All 7 gallons ????

penquino

Does anyone know if we can actually use up all 7 gallons on the 1200 RT. The reason I ask is that when the computer says ---- empty it lies because we still have at least a gallon left. Can we still use that last gallon or does it hide away from the fuel pump like in my 1150 GS. I don't want to lay the RT on it's right side (like the GS) when it actully runs out.

I plucked the rubber "thingie" out of my tank. Last fill I'd gone a ways after "0 miles left", and put 7.1 gallons in the tank. Sorry, I don't remember how far it was after zero, I'd guess maybe 25.....

all the best,

Mike

I too have plucked the rubber "thingie" out of my tank and I've drilled a small hole in the front of the filler neck about 3/4 of an inch from the top. This facilitates faster filling and I can get more gas in. I have put 7.5 gallons in my tank twice on a trip. The miles after the computer were 15 to 20 after 0 in each case. If I recall correctly one of those tanks I went over 350 miles when I filled up. To be honest I believe there was a least around another .3 left in there because I have gone 40 miles past 0 before but that was prior to removing the rubber "thingie" and drilling the hole. One of these days I will run the tank dry with a gallon of gas in my trunk to get me to a gas station. Only then after filling up will I know for sure how much fuel that tank holds. I suspect it is as high as 7.7 or 7.8 gallons.

One of these days I will run the tank dry with a gallon of gas in my trunk to get me to a gas station. Only then after filling up will I know for sure how much fuel that tank holds.

Well I did just that the other day.

I went 89km after the computer said 0 miles to empty (actually it says --).

Added the gallon (imperial) to the tank and then filled up at the next gas station, I also refilled the gallon can as I know that was what I had just put in. Grand total was 29 liters in my tank. I had covered 589 km on that tank.

So now I figure that the 4 litre reserve must be after the miles to empty says 0 and not when the low fuel light comes on.

I might try it once more just to see if it is consistant.

Well thank you for that info Handy...I have been wanting to do that particular test all spring, and during my ride back from 'The Gap' last month it was really bugging me not knowing how far I could go before having to pull in. I didn't want to wait at the side of the Interstate for a Trooper to help me find out...

So 29 liters, 89kms, to empty. I put 24.5 in one time at 480kms. That was I think, after 28kms beyond ---.

Good stuff!!

Jim

Thanks Guys. If I can trust the computer, if it says I am getting 50 miles/gal when it goes to ---, empty, and I fill up with 23 lt or about 6 gal, then it should be right on with what you found out. About 90 klm or 50 mile to the real empty.

12GS riders, note. Back when I was researching the bike, I read a zillion articles. One of them (don't know which) ran the 12GS only about 10 miles after zero. FYI BTW, no personal testing of this, but have run to zero.

I've ridden about 8k miles since the last week of April and have put this somewhat to the test, but never ran the bike dry. If I'm averaging a speed of approximately 70mph, I can run about 35-40 after the computer sez ---, and when I refuel I place about 6.75 gallons to refill.

duckbubbles

Your dealer, with a savvy tech, can reprogram the fuel indication system to better reflect the actual fuel remaining in the tank. It seems to me that the early models were set more accurately and maybe production pressures have made the production line settings more uneven. Case in point- I have an early production 05 ST and can go just 12 miles after the countdown goes to zero (checked it). A friend with a later, end of run, ST could go about 70 miles after the countdown went to zero. The dealer reprogrammed the system and he is satisfied with it now. I understand that you should have the tank as empty as possible when this is done. I guess they are resetting the zero point. Good luck.

I'm thinking of running my '06 R12RT dry to see how far it does go. I figure to get it down to zero and then run around the local back roads until it quits. I'll haul a gas can to get back home.

But I've been wondering ... does running it dry harm anything?

duckbubbles

The fuel pump is lubricated by the fuel. The bike will not run above idle when the fuel pressure drops. Giving it throttle causes it to stall. You won't be going anywhere so shut it off and add your gas. I cut the key on and off about three times to let the fuel pressure build and it started and ran as normal. I don't think it should cause any damage to anything.

The fuel pump is lubricated by the fuel.

Yup, and the fuel acts then as a coolant for the fuel pump. I think I'll just let you guys run the tank dry, and report distances, and gallons to fill, here.

Then I won't havce to run my fuel pump dry. wink.gif

29 liters is 7.66 gallons. Is that with the rubber "thingie" pulled? Also, did you drill a small breather? Just wondering. Thanks for the report!

ShovelStrokeEd
I'm thinking of running my '06 R12RT dry to see how far it does go. I figure to get it down to zero and then run around the local back roads until it quits. I'll haul a gas can to get back home.

Yes it can. Your fuel pump can be damaged by running dry. Even running very low is not the best for it. It requires the fuel for both cooling and lubrication of its internal components.

I never rely on the fuel gauge on any of my bikes. I much prefer to use my trip meters to manage refueling. For my Blackbird, it works out to gas up at 170 miles if I have been city riding, 190 for highways and 140-150 for agressive twisty riding. That usually results in between 5.3 to 5.7 gallons of the 6.3 gallon capacity.

Paul Mihalka

I do this with every bike when I get it. I like to know exactly how much gas it carries and how much of it is reserve. I do the final miles in the right lane of a interstate or four lane road, with a good shoulder. This way I can stop right away at the first stumble.

ScottT, any problems caused by the small breather hole? Does gas or fumes seep out of the cap or do you get any overflow problems caused by being to fully fill the tank? I was planning on this same modification. Bob

Also, what did you do with the small metal shavings from drilling the hole. Does the fuel filter just catch them or did you do something to prevent them from falling in the tank.

I ran my RT 20 miles beyond the zero indication with a gallon can in the pannier just in case. Anyone worried about running the pump dry and causing damage can try this with little chance of actually running dry. My guess is that there is about a gallon left when the gauge says zero miles. I now know that I don't have to panic so soon if I get caught out somewhere. This is another example of the limitations of the RT's computer, and to make it worse, the range calculation is far from linear over the last 50 to 100 miles. The estimate seems to get rapidly more pessimistic as zero approaches! Close to useless in my opinion.

I tend to use the trip meter as my guide , so far the farthest I have let it run before filling up is 330 miles [ 27 miles of fuel left as indicated on the computer ] .

Steve

By my reckoning, that would be 330 miles + 27 (less a bit because the range calculation is still becoming more pessimistic at 27 to go) from 5 imperial gallons, let's say 350 / 5 = 70 miles per gallon. On a recent trip across Europe I got a computer indicated 56 mpg over 2800 miles of mixed motorway and smaller roads at lowish averages due to riding in a group. Previous manual measurements indicate that the computer is a couple of mpg optimistic, so I would say I got a genuine 54 mpg which I am happy with at 5000 miles from new. I'm impressed that you got 70. Did you do it the one time as a challenge or is your riding style very economical? If you had some spare fuel somewhere that means you could go for 420 miles on one tank!

By my reckoning, that would be 330 miles + 27 (less a bit because the range calculation is still becoming more pessimistic at 27 to go) from 5 imperial gallons, let's say 350 / 5 = 70 miles per gallon. On a recent trip across Europe I got a computer indicated 56 mpg over 2800 miles of mixed motorway and smaller roads at lowish averages due to riding in a group. Previous manual measurements indicate that the computer is a couple of mpg optimistic, so I would say I got a genuine 54 mpg which I am happy with at 5000 miles from new. I'm impressed that you got 70. Did you do it the one time as a challenge or is your riding style very economical? If you had some spare fuel somewhere that means you could go for 420 miles on one tank!

When George and I did our end-2-end ride, I got 60mpg from my R1150RT, he got 70+ from his R1200RT. Steve always rides steadily - on other boards he is known as Steady Eddie.

Andy thumbsup.gif

Curious.... I've got about 2200 miles now and average 42 mpg mostly commuting which is 46 miles and only 25 of which are highway. I ran my bike down to 1 mile left, 278 miles on the clock and it took 6.654 gallons. I'd love to know how anyone could get near 70 mpg, I'd be happy with 50.

Curious.... I've got about 2200 miles now and average 42 mpg mostly commuting which is 46 miles and only 25 of which are highway. I ran my bike down to 1 mile left, 278 miles on the clock and it took 6.654 gallons. I'd love to know how anyone could get near 70 mpg, I'd be happy with 50.

Sorry, I should have made it clear, that was 70 miles per imperial gallon - or 62 miles per US gallon. Achieved by long periods of steady throttle openings, gentle acceleration and speeds in the 60mph range.

Andy

Personally, I'd never run a tank that far down. Why risk sucking the crap off the bottom of the tank and plugging your fuel filter? I've just traded my 99R1100S for an 06 RT and the S at best got 220km on a tank, at the worst 160km. I was always hitting reserve. At the 30,000k service the fuel filter was replaced as the fuel pump was working hard. Mechanic said he had seen hoses blow off inside the tank due to plugged filters. On the S it was a real pain to change filters.

ScottT, any problems caused by the small breather hole? Does gas or fumes seep out of the cap or do you get any overflow problems caused by being to fully fill the tank?
I've had not had any of these problems since making the modifications. I did have, on two seperate occassion, fuel overflowing after filling up BEFORE I made the modifications. Since the mods I can fill up faster and get more in there with no ill effects so far.

Personal disclaimer: This is not something recommended by BMW and you do said modifications at your own risk.

Personally, I'd never run a tank that far down. Why risk sucking the crap off the bottom of the tank and plugging your fuel filter?

You make a good point but the answer is, so you know how far you can go when you can't find a petrol station. BMW caused all this fuss by being ambiguous with important terms like "usable fuel" and "reserve" and "range". Why couldn't they just have stated that the tank holds 6 gallons (imperial), 1 of which is reserve, the warning light comes on with 2 gallons left in the tank and the computer shows miles to go before starting on reserve?

I have not run mine to empty but my longest trip on one tank so far was 306 miles. I got 6.86 gallons into the tank after that. I believe it has about a gallon reserve after the BC indicates zero miles to go, which I believe will give me about another 40 miles. My milage has ranged from a low of 35 to a high of 48 so far. I've now got 4,300 miles on it. I expect to add a few hunded more next week at Americade. wave.gif

Archived