IGNORED

Windshield Suggestions/Options for 2005 R1200RT

jpeloke

I have been searching for a larger windshield for my 2005 R1200RT.  I have been reading other posts and found that Werks does not make a windshield for my bike.  Age I guess.  I have been looking at the National Cycle Vstream Z2402 or A2403.  Almost no relevant reviews.  Any Help on other options or ?

John

Milton, FL

I have one of their standard (not tall) touring shields for my '06 R1200RT that I run for the winter months.  It is taller and considerably wider than the stock windshield.  It offers good protection from the elements.  The only complaint I have is that it hits the Wunderlich bar mirrors I have installed at full steering lock unless it is raised nearly as high as it goes - but that is a small price to pay for the excellent protection it supplies.  I can't blame them for not anticipating someone adding another set of mirrors to the bars, so it really isn't a deal breaker.

Oh, and I am 6 foot tall with a 32" inseam, and have bar risers installed.  Stock height seat (though it is a Seth Laam seat) set on the low position, just to give you an idea of the ergos.  I can just see over the top of the shield when it is all the way up, but I usually run it a couple of inches down from the top as I don't need it higher, even on the freeway.

I got it from Sierra BMW in Reno, NV since they offer a 10% discount (ADVRIDER10) and free shipping!

Also do be aware that the stock windshield support arms are notorious for breaking if you put a larger/heaver windshield on the bike.  I've changed mine with the aftermarket replacement ones, so I can't speak to if the stock arms will hold up with this shield.

Edited by DJDixon
Added caution about W/S arms
Kerry in Mpls

I have the VStream Z2402 on my 06 R1200RT and I love it.

It is significantly wider than the stock screen at the top and keeps the wind/rain off of your shoulders, reducing fatigue on the really long days.

I replaced the top support arms with beefier ones at the same time I got the windscreen, because I had heard the top arms would take most of the extra wind load of a larger screen.

So of course I was on a trip 1000 miles from home when one of the lower arms broke in a very windy rain storm 🙄.

I replaced the lower arms with stronger ones shortly after I got home and it's been rock solid ever since.

Thankyou.  Thats what I wanted to know.  I am also 6 feet tall with a 32" in seam and  in at approx 200 lbs.  I contacted National Cycle and their response was very good.  They suggested the Z2402 also.  I will have to look into the stronger support arms.  Thanks again.

Milton, FL

John

2005 RT1200RT

2009 Triumph Bonneville T100