IGNORED

MPG Calculator?

dduelin

I installed the HPOskam fuel strip emulator in my '07. I had been watching the fuel strip die a slow death for a couple of months.

Within 30 seconds of the first key-on after installing the emulator the fuel gauge showed full and the miles to empty showed 311 miles. I've ridden with it about 300 miles on two 150 mile rides. Now to my question of the on board computer fuel mileage calculator. I expected to lose the mpg function and miles to empty function without a working fuel strip but the MPG display continues to work and based only on two fill ups of the tank, the mpg showing in the computer is pretty accurate. The 'miles to empty' range is correlated now with displayed mpg times 7.1 gallons. I'm curious how the MPG function works on a hexhead onboard computer. I guess the engine management computer compares metered fuel use against odometer value?  

Now instead of the previous 'miles to empty' the figure displayed is approximate range of a full 7.1 gallon tank at the most recent calculated mpg. For example riding rather gently on open roads the mpg is about 46. 46 x 7.1 = 327 miles and the figure displayed as 'range' is 328. At these values I'll use #2 tripmeter to keep track of fuel burn with the figure of 275 miles plus ~50 mile reserve. If the mpg has been 40 then 40 x 7.1 = 284 less reserve is range of 234 miles.

10 minutes ago, dduelin said:

I installed the HPOskam fuel strip emulator in my '07. I had been watching the fuel strip die a slow death for a couple of months.

Within 30 seconds of the first key-on after installing the emulator the fuel gauge showed full and the miles to empty showed 311 miles. I've ridden with it about 300 miles on two 150 mile rides. Now to my question of the on board computer fuel mileage calculator. I expected to lose the mpg function and miles to empty function without a working fuel strip but the MPG display continues to work and based only on two fill ups of the tank, the mpg showing in the computer is pretty accurate. The 'miles to empty' range is correlated now with displayed mpg times 7.1 gallons. I'm curious how the MPG function works on a hexhead onboard computer. I guess the engine management computer compares metered fuel use against odometer value?  

Now instead of the previous 'miles to empty' the figure displayed is approximate range of a full 7.1 gallon tank at the most recent calculated mpg. For example riding rather gently on open roads the mpg is about 46. 46 x 7.1 = 327 miles and the figure displayed as 'range' is 328. At these values I'll use #2 tripmeter to keep track of fuel burn with the figure of 275 miles plus ~50 mile reserve. If the mpg has been 40 then 40 x 7.1 = 284 less reserve is range of 234 miles.

Afternoon Dave

Yes, it uses fuel injector on-time vs miles traveled.  Then figures miles remaining based on your fuel gauge input.

So if you always show a full tank & always fill it to completely full at a fuel stop then it should (probably) show somewhat correct.

I think it (probably) won't read correctly if you only do a partial fill-up. You might try this next fill-up as a test. 

Also clear your fuel computer average so the accumulated average fuel milage you have accumulated goes away.