IGNORED

New to Forum as well as BMW

jpeloke

Purchased a 2005 R1200RT with 46K on the odometer.  I have been impressed with the engineering.  I perform my own maintenance to a point and have been changing fluids, cleaning, etc.  It has the dreaded fuel pump leak which I tried to fix to no avail.  Went to BMW dealer with VIN and was told the bike has 4 open recalls with one including fuel pump.  He didn't say what the other 3 were.  So now I wait for parts to come in to get it fixed before I can ride it.  Its a shame due to this part of the year being prime riding season here in the Florida Panhandle.  It gets too hot in the summer.  At least I have my 2009 Triumph Bonneville T100 also tagged and insured in the garage.  I have enjoyed all the help the forum has already provided for me and look forward to reading more in the future.

John

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1

Went to nhtsa.gov and entered VIN.  Found it on another thread on this Forum.  Got a list and the fix for my 4 recalls.  Thanks Forum!

Milton, FL

John

Gotta give BMW a little credit if they are in fact paying to have the pump replaced after 17 years. I realize it’s a safety recall so they probably have no choice but still. :thumbsup:

Is the leak at the flange? I didn’t have the fuel leak issue on my 05 so I’m only spreading internet wisdom here. 

This seemed to be a semi permanent fix until BMW started the pump recall.

Good luck with the fix! 

• Plus 1 1

thanks for the reply.  I have been researching the VIN etc.  What specifically does K26 Trim mean?

John

Milton, FL.

I believe the K26 designation refers to the engine design. Or at least a certain generational design of the Boxer Motor.

I honestly don't know if this application goes back as far as 2005, but if you find the VIN for your target Beemer, plug it in here.  If it's covered (i.e. not too old), it'll spit out the precise factory delivery list, including all original equipment.

BMW VIN Decoder

As far as "K26 Trim" is concerned.

According to the BMW parts inventory, "K26" is BMW's designation for R1200RT models, covering 2005 thru 2012.  "K52", covers years 2013 through 2018.

I'm sort of mystified by that, because 2005-2009 are "Hexhead", 2010-2013 are "Camheads", 2014-2018 are "Wetheads", based upon certain characteristics of the engines.

I looked at pictures side by side, but couldn't make an accurate comparison (i.e. the pictures available are all from different angles) - too much of a time sink for me.

However, if the above is accurate, 2005 thru 2012 would share the same basic external trim, but different engineering (i.e. motor, transmission, etc.).  

Someone here may come up with a more informed answer, but that's what I've got.

Why do you ask?  Why would you care?   Buy either a camhead or a wethead, and the later years of each run (i.e. more problems were "debugged" later in the series runs, such as 2008-9, 2012-3, 2017-18).

Pick your poison; they're all good bikes if the mileage is reasonable and they've been property maintained.

Edit:  I just double checked myself.  The 2019 (shiftcam's) are also designated K52's, through 2021.  So, basically, I have no idea what BMW refers to as "K26", let alone "K26 trim".  Ignore it, and look at model year based upon "Hexhead", "Camhead", "Wethead", and "Shiftcam (2019+).  There are changes within model runs, as well, as an example, the 2014-2016 R1200RT's and 2017-2018 have different transmissions, due to a 2017 upgrade.

Hey, jpeloke!!  Welcome to the forum!!

Having "fun" already, I see.  

When it gets too hot to ride down there in the sawgrass, come on up to the mountains in N GA, TN and western NC.  You'll be digging in the sidecases for something warm to put on!!  

• Like 1
9 hours ago, jpeloke said:

thanks for the reply.  I have been researching the VIN etc.  What specifically does K26 Trim mean?

John

Milton, FL.

Morning John

K26 isn't a trim level, it is more of a platform designation. K26 tells you that you have a BMW 1200RT (hexhead engine) 2005-2009. The BMW 1200RT camhead would be a    K26 11     2010-2014.

Hexhead  2005-2009     (not a full list, or all subsets, but gives you an idea) 

K28  1200 ST

K27 1200 R

K26 1200 RT

K25  1200 GS

• Like 3

Thanks for the info.  You have answered other questions I had.  I went to buy some maintenance items and they wanted to know if I had a HexHead, CamHead or WetHead.  Being new and ignorant I didn't know.  NOW I do.  I have been riding for 50 years and have always wanted a boxer twin.  With my amount of "experience" I decided I didn't need to wait any longer.  Have a small piece of property in Michigan where I spend summers.  I hope to make some trips from that base while I still have the health to do so.

John

Milton, FL.

• Like 1
MichiganBob

Welcome to the forum John. If you're in the Kalamazoo area this summer, coffee and strawberry rhubarb pie is on me.

Welcome John!

The last 7 characters of your VIN will tell the parts guy what exactly (probably) will fit your bike. Those characters entered into the Original Parts Fiche give the month and year of production and the parts diagrams associated with the VIN. I look up the parts numbers myself before I call or go to the dealer near my home or before I order online from the dealer hosting this Original Parts Fiche: https://shop.maxbmw.com/fiche/partsfiche.aspx

I grew up in the Panhandle and started riding there in 1970.