IGNORED

Pinlock visor appears almost opaque

Scott9999

I am just breaking out the new LS2 Valiant II helmet I bought over the winter.  Thus far, love the helmet, for lots of reasons.

However, the Pinlock visor that came with it, not so much.  When I pulled it out, it was listed as "high visibility", and had a dirty yellow appearance.  I thought to myself, "Well, I've had high vis sunglasses like that before, and those were pretty good, so .. let's see, maybe this will work out".  I installed the visor, and oh-my-gosh, I can barely see anything through it.  It's like looking through a VERY dirty windshield.    The visor is listed as:  "Pinlock 100, Max Vision, FF399 DKS203".

Has anyone else had similar problems with a Pinlock visor?   I wrote off to Pinlock, but this helmet came direct from Spain, and the manufacturer is Pinlock Systems B.V., The Netherlands (and it states "Made in Belgium", heck, I've got a full NATO helmet visor here.🤣).  I'm not sure that Pinlock USA will respond to my query, if they it's built by a different division of Pinlock (or perhaps, a different company altogether).

pinlock.jpg

It may be a condition called crazing, caused by excess heat that deforms the plastic. Hard to tell from the picture, I had a pair of prescription glasses do it from being in a hot car.

1 hour ago, Hosstage said:

There isn't a protective plastic covering on it, is there?

My Schuberth came with a light green plastic film on the Pinlock.   The Pinlock plastic is relatively soft and prone to scratches, the main shield is harder and somewhat scratch-resistant.

What have you been using to clean it? If you have been using anything other than water and a microfiber cloth, that is probably your source.

4 hours ago, Hosstage said:

There isn't a protective plastic covering on it, is there?

I removed the protective plastic that was there, so, no, I don't believe so.

1 hour ago, Randyjaco said:

What have you been using to clean it? If you have been using anything other than water and a microfiber cloth, that is probably your source.

Brand new, out of the sealed box (or cardboard folder), with protective plastic on it.

14 hours ago, Scott9999 said:

Brand new, out of the sealed box (or cardboard folder), with protective plastic on it.

Afternoon Scott 

I have no idea on what you actually have but Pinlock makes different colored inserts for different riding conditions, so if ALL the protection films are positively removed then you might just have a high contrast yellow (for foggy riding).

https://pinlock.com/colored-insert-lens-options/

1 hour ago, dirtrider said:

Afternoon Scott 

I have no idea on what you actually have but Pinlock makes different colored inserts for different riding conditions, so if ALL the protection films are positively removed then you might just have a high contrast yellow (for foggy riding).

https://pinlock.com/colored-insert-lens-options/

Well, that's what I thought, too.  

But then, after sleeping on this and being all frustrated, I pulled the dang helmet visor off the helmet and removed the Pinlock, and started scratching at the inside edge of the Pinlock visor.  Yeah, there's a second protective coating, in a muddy yellow color so that even the village idiot couldn't miss it.   The Pinlock visor is crystal clear.   It wasn't easy to remove that plastic coating.

Now, where is that "delete thread" option .....  :4607:

• Like 1
  • Smile 2
  • Haha 3
4 hours ago, Hosstage said:

I mean, I don't wanna say I told ya so, buuuuttt..............

:4907:

That was my thought too, but didn't want to pile on ...

• Smile 1
  • Haha 1