IGNORED

Motorcycle Video, Helmet cam vs fixed, front and rear, etc.

Scott9999

So, I'm just dipping my toe into these waters right now.  Don't intend to buy right away (but then again, half the farkles on my bike are spur of the moment "that'd probably be a good idea" kinds of things).

I looked on Amazon (where else?🙄) at what's available, specifically made for motorcycles.  The first thing I looked at are the Front and Rear fixed cameras, then Helmet cams, though I also found some 3-channel's for auto's, so maybe all three might be a viable idea.  (Yeah, I'm gonna have to get some laptop software to edit and publish the stuff, too.  Oh, and yeah, I'll need to enroll on some site to publish it publicly.  Nothing's ever simple, huh?).

So, anyhow, I've always thought a helmet cam would be essential because without it, I won't be able to communicate a whole lot of scenery.  Of course, I suppose TWO helmet cams, looking left and right 100% of the time, takes care of that, plus the fixed camera forward.  (I really don't see a need for a rear camera, unless it's for legal protection.)  Then again, even though demo's of helmet cams have the rider looking straight ahead and level 100% of the time, in reality, I would expect that my helmet cam would be bouncing all over the place, up, down, and sideways, reflecting an unhealthy case of rider-ADD. 😖   For the fixed cameras, I suppose normal vibration could ruin the capture on those, as well.

I know that I'm not breaking any ground here, but I know most of you are bored anyways if you're online here, rather than riding, 🤣🤣 so please chime in with your experiences and recommendations.

Thanks.

Helmet cam. A fixed camera might lose some perspective and would follow the bike back and forth, up and down, making it a bit tough to follow.

• Plus 1 1
Bill Murray

Scott, I'm just beginning to explore using a camera during rides -- in my case, a helmet-mounted GoPro Hero 9. I have also recently purchased a DJI drone that I want to use to capture scenery during some rides. Here are a few things to consider.

Your camera setup will be dictated by what you are trying to capture. You can go with action-type cameras (GoPro or others), 360 degree style cameras (Insta 360 for example), and bike-mounted systems (Innov type cameras). Each have advantages and disadvantages.

I have been watching a number of YouTube moto-vloggers and have learned a lot from their videos. A couple of personal favorites that I have found information are:

TeapotOne               https://www.youtube.com/c/teapotonevids
WheelieGoodTV       https://www.youtube.com/c/WheelieGoodTV

TeapotOne primarily uses a helmet (chin mounted) GoPro combined with a handlebar -mounted rear-facing GoPro, with occasional Innov footage from a permanent bike-mounted system. WheelieGoodTV uses a helmet (chin mounted) GoPro combined with an Insta360 type camera.

My take-aways so far the Helmet-mounted action cameras do a great job of capturing the rider's view of the road and adjacent scenery. The Insta360 camera is great for great for capturing everything around you (you can select a specific view direction during your post-capture editing). The image stabilization software in both cameras does a good job of the "bounce" in the images. If you are trying to capture scenery to either side of you, an Ista360 type camera might be what you are interested in trying.

The Innov type system is fine for views directly forward and rearward, but the mage quality is not as good. A couple of good videos about the Innov systems can be found on the following YouTube channel:

A BIKE THING     https://www.youtube.com/c/ABIKETHING

For me, the big challenge is the editing portion of the process, which is why I am shopping for a new computer to support video editing. 

I hope some of this information helpful for you.

• Like 1
John Ranalletta

I've used an older GoPro.  It was mounted on the side of the tank on the 1150GS.  Not so good.  Switched it to a side helmet mount - much better.

I'm getting the bug about upgrading, but, frankly, when I return from a trip and view the vids, I wonder why I went through the trouble.  I've deleted most of the videos I've recorded because they were boooooooring.  Unless you're riding in terrifically scenic locales or recording to critique and improve your riding skills, I'd give it a pass.

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1
14 hours ago, Scott9999 said:

so please chime in with your experiences and recommendations.

GoPro is the gold standard ... and if you don't mind buying used or refurbished an older Hero 4 black can be very inexpensive and still provide true 4K video @30fps or even 1080p @120 fps for ultra slow-mo.  However no in-camera stabilization, but most editing software can do a fair job in post if needed. 

You need to go to a Hero 5 to get in-camera stabilization ... but the best stabilization (HyperSmooth) starts with the Hero 7 Black.

I currently have a bike mounted rig, but I think helmet mounted produces  more interesting video.  But I've never done one on a helmet as I was worried about noise/buffeting from aerodynamic drag on the helmet.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, John Ranalletta said:

I've used an older GoPro.  It was mounted on the side of the tank on the 1150GS.  Not so good.  Switched it to a side helmet mount - much better.

I'm getting the bug about upgrading, but, frankly, when I return from a trip and view the vids, I wonder why I went through the trouble.  I've deleted most of the videos I've recorded because they were boooooooring.  Unless you're riding in terrifically scenic locales or recording to critique and improve your riding skills, I'd give it a pass.

I understand and agree with you.  **MOST** people take boring pitchers,  and there film is 10x worse.  Sometimes the most interesting thing about the scenic rides is the rider's commentary, during the ride, or afterwards.   

Way back when, my college history class took a trip to local, formerly Spanish Mission.  I'd been there several times growing up, and after viewing all the stuff young boys are interested in (guns, wagons, tools, real "stuff"), it was just a boring day with the parents.  However, my history professor narrated on some of the history, and every, formerly boring relic or spot at the mission, now had essential meaning.  Places and objects and things are inanimate.  It's PEOPLE who bring the stuff to life.

Mostly, I felt like I just wanted to show my family some of what I see, or what I do, if I start doing the touring that I expect to do.  One of my priorities prior to going on any ride, however, is historical research on my target location.  If I narrate and bring some of that into the video, then it might be work the time, money, and storage bytes to run film on the ride.

I bought an Innovv helmet cam, but it gets the power from the bike unless you use a power bank.  Originally, I was going to mount it to the RT, but I ended up having an electrical issue before installing it, :ohboy:which put it out of commission.  I watched some of Innovv's videos that got me to thinking about forward and rear mounted "dash cams" (lack of better term) to use for commuting.   Then I realized that would also have ME being recorded and not just other offending traffic.  They are good for being a witness, but sometimes that can be a bad thing.  If you know what I mean (and I think you do.)  

I ended up buying an action camera for the helmet mounting.  It is a Garmin VIRB Ultra 30.  I mounted it on the left side of my helmet.  Nowadays, the only time I use it is when I am sport touring (ART's!! - need I say more?)  To add to what you said Scott, I was able to show a video of me riding the Tail of the Dragon to my dad before he passed.   He loved it.  He told me he was leaning while he watched it.   Brought me joy just thinking about it again.   So yeah, if they cannot ride with you, give them something to see.

That VIRB Ultra 30 is no longer available (about the same time GoPro Hero 5 came out), but it works just fine.   Image stabilizing is great and I can tie it into my Nav VI where it will have a screen for the "record start/stop" button.  That also takes away the navigation screen, but with the wonder wheel you can go back and forth.  A little bothersome to do, so I opt to start/stop recording with the camera using my left hand.  There is a rotating switch that can be used with a glove on.  It is instant record, so you can keep the unit off (not in stand-by) to conserve the battery.   I carry a 2nd battery to rotate between the two.  It will last a few hours recording, but danged if I know exactly how much.  I need to remember to charge the one in the camera before going on a ride. One time, I ended up with quite a few 2 or 3 second videos as there was enough juice to start recording, but........

• Plus 1 1
Michiganr80rt

I have been using a Drift HD Ghost with a helmet mount for 7 or 8 years. I tried various mounts on the bike with the R80RT but vibration was too much. I may replace it with the new Ghost XL Pro that just came out.  What I like about the Drift cameras is the shape and size, they do not feel out of place on the side of a helmet.

https://us.driftinnovation.com/collections/cameras-new

As someone mentioned, most of the video I shoot gets thrown away. Either it is not that good or I do not find the time to edit it. I like the camera for still shots. There is wireless remote that I velcro to the handlebars so I can either shoot a still or turn on the video while I am riding. 

A couple of videos I shot with the Ghost HD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsVmqrJ3OCk&t=12s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yiqfI_TgLY&t=946s

• Like 2
7 hours ago, 9Mary7 said:

Scott, 

I use a Sena 10C.....

Hmm, I hadn't thought about comms integration with video, and it's an obvious requirement (don't want to have two, three, six mic's hanging on my helmet).  I have a Cardo Freedom Duo sitting somewhere around my desk.  Mainly got it for riding 2-up with the wife, but yeah, it's also supposed to serve as bluetooth integration support, as well.  Hooking it into the new helmet, and pairing it with the Beemer is on the low priority to-do list.

I'll have to check to see how the Cardo can integrate with whatever video option I select.  👍

Scott - I've use(d) only GoPro's - so these comments pertain to my experience with them. I have 2 - a Hero 5 Black and a Hero 7 Black. Starting with the 5, the cameras have GPS, which embeds all kinds of data that can be overlaid on your video. But extracting that data takes extra time to process. I tend to just do this selectively.

Example:

The blue line is the route segment for this video clip, and the dot shows where you are in relation to the segment.

The green line is the speed graph for this video clip, and the red dot shows where you are in the segment.

You can add or remove data and select different types of gauges to show just what you want

vlcsnap-2021-05-21-22h34m59s640.thumb.png.6dab7b4930848806c6246c22733ad37e.png

MOUNTING LOCATIONS -- First a few examples:

Helmet Side Mount

I used a side mount camera until I got a new helmet, which had a slight design change that made the side mount I was using problematic. I was happy with the side mount, although now I use a chin mount. The side mount can provide a good (better?) sense of speed and lean angle. This is illustrated somewhat on the right curves in this video. Note also that you see plenty of what you want to see - including the exceptional riding 0f @BMW_Ken!! This is the GoPro5 - it's plenty stable. I do look up at one point - my ear buds were catching my my collar - that's the distraction you see on a very short straight. You can see a bit of my visor in this (and other videos) - that's operator error. A slight adjustment forward removes that. When watching these videos, be sure to turn up the YouTube Resolution - the picture should be very crisp - this was shot in 2K.

Side mount video:

Helmet Chin Mount

Here's a similar road with the chin mount. You can see even with the chin mount, I appear to get quite close to some shrubbery!! [more expert riding by Ken!]. This video is also a good example of the audio generated (engine and wind noise) when using an Aux mic (I have it tucked in my helmet).

Dash Mount

One more mount area to show. This is from having the camera dash mounted on the left. With the Image Stabilization, it appears at times that the camera is moving, but it isn't. It's fixed. In fact, in the previous video, you can see the GP5 mounted and facing me (checking my body movement). That's where the camera is mounted for this video, but obviously facing forward. You can start about 3:40 in the video, as the technical bits begin there and build, and you can see how the camera appears to move at times. Here there is no Aux mic, but the windshield buffers the wind quite a bit - better then having the camera out in the open, and not quite as good as when I have a aux mic in my helmet.

One thing to consider is Battery Life!! (I'll bring this back around to mounts) Batteries last about 45 mins, in 2K mode. Longer in 1080p and shorter in 4k. So that's a big issue! I have 5 batteries I carry with me, and a dual battery charger. If you have one camera, you'll need at least 3 batteries, as you'll use up a battery faster than you'll charge one. I charge my batteries in my tank bag and rotate them. This method is perhaps the simplest. But this requires you to stop often to swap out batteries. Depending on the camera mount you use, this can be done without removing your helmet - but I don't like to stop a lot just to change batteries. So often the camera goes dead for a period of time before I stop to change batteries.

Another option is to power your camera from a rechargeable power pack. When I'm tooling around town or riding to a ART, I often use the dash mount to record video - mostly to document in case I have an accident. I run a USB cable from a power pack I also mount on the dash to the camera, and . . . wait for it . . .  Set it and forget it!:3: You do need to keep an eye out for bugs splattering on the windshield in front of the camera, and remember to clear the area at stops. This mount position keeps my helmet clear of external mounts, and wires and with the camera mounted on the dash, it's one less thing to fuss with when mounting up or dismounting. EzPz. No muss, No fuss!

When I use the chin mount, I still use batteries if I'm going to be stopping within the hour, so I can change them out. Otherwise, I put the power pack in my jacket chest pocket and run the USB cable to the camera. This takes a little getting accustomed to, but it's not as bad as it sounds. And the great thing is, I don't have to worry about stopping to change batteries. If 4K is important to you (I use 2K), you will really need to use a power pack. You do have to get accustomed to having a camera protruding forward of your helmet.

Another thing to consider is the audio. With the camera out in the open (not behind the windshield), you will have terrible wind noise! That's why I put music to a lot of my (earlier) videos. Now I'm using a aux mic that's inside my helmet, and it's much better and does a nice job of picking up the engine noise.

So there's lots to consider! But Wait..... There's more!!:ohboy:

Remember - I'm using a GP 5 & 7. Starting with the GoPro 8, they changed their camera dimensions slightly, and their accessories . Either way, you have to buy GoPro accessories to use  external mics. Even though I'm using 'older' cameras, they do a great job and I'm not even recording in their highest formats. I find 2K does quite well, as long as people remember to turn up their YouTube resolution. Obviously, you don't have that problem playing back the original.

Lastly - Editing. It can take a lot of time. A lot.  And you can accumulate a LOT of data on a trip. So you need to have portable data storage to transfer the video from the day's ride to each night. You'll not only need a lot of portable data storage, you'll need to be sure you have enough at home as well.

Are we having fun yet?!? :lurk:

Edited by Indy Dave
  • Like 3
John Ranalletta
19 hours ago, John Ranalletta said:

For those riders with cameras and a chest-mount, how about grabbing some vids of the ART and Unrally gatherings.

Also, I'd be helpful for me to have a photo of each of our active members.  Maybe set up a photo station at gatherings to grab individual head shots and names.  

• Like 2
  • Plus 1 1

To add to what Indie Dave said above about portable data storage, I've found this setup to be very small, light, and fast to transfer from microSD chips that fill up quickly (even with 512gb) to the SSHD.  

I change the camera batteries and the SD cards at the same time, then transfer the files from the SD's to the SSHD at lunch and/or at night.

image.png.879385b425ec6d33f70503a2ad694aab.png

SSHD, adapter/card reader, and cell phone, that's it.

The portable SSHD because it's small, very light, very fast, and low current draw (because it's running from your phone's battery).  This one is a Seagate 1tb portable, #SRD0NF1 with wire (may be obsolete by now).

The USB-C adapter (dongle) to connect to your cell phone (used as a power source and file manager) to theSSHD and read the microSD card. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RV1ZCWJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Your cell phone just provides the power and the file manager software to operate everything.  You could use a tablet or laptop.  Make sure to get the adapter with the correct connector for your phone.  There are several free file manager apps, I use X-Plore (android).

For video editing (and I'm just beginning to get into this) VideoPad by NCH, free for home use demo version.  Review, summary and download info:  https://www.techsupportalert.com/?s=videopad

Let us know what you come up with!!

• Like 1