IGNORED

Adding Hyper Brake lights

adecood

I have a 2019 R1250RT. I also have the BMW top case too. Over the winter I added a LED brake light strip in the area of the lid where BMW offers a OEM bake light. I was able to tap into the existing wiring that is already in the lid for this purpose. The new LED strip has 18 leds in it and draws approx. 0.25 amps. I have had a few problems with the EZ-Can system which I bought specifically for adding the Hyper lights. Working with EZ-Can they determined that there assembly has failed. After 2 EZ-Cans assemblies I am giving up on their system.

I still want to hook up the Hyper lights to the brakes lights. And I can find the brake light wires for the top case at the main plug under the rear seat.

So after this big long story will my OEM brake lights and the new LED strip that I added to the top case be overloaded if I add the new Hyper lights in the system too. The hyper lights draw 0.25 Amps too.

22 hours ago, adecood said:

I have a 2019 R1250RT. I also have the BMW top case too. Over the winter I added a LED brake light strip in the area of the lid where BMW offers a OEM bake light. I was able to tap into the existing wiring that is already in the lid for this purpose. The new LED strip has 18 leds in it and draws approx. 0.25 amps. I have had a few problems with the EZ-Can system which I bought specifically for adding the Hyper lights. Working with EZ-Can they determined that there assembly has failed. After 2 EZ-Cans assemblies I am giving up on their system.

I still want to hook up the Hyper lights to the brakes lights. And I can find the brake light wires for the top case at the main plug under the rear seat.

So after this big long story will my OEM brake lights and the new LED strip that I added to the top case be overloaded if I add the new Hyper lights in the system too. The hyper lights draw 0.25 Amps too.

Afternoon adecood

No way to really know unless you try it. Some of the water cooled BMS's are pretty picky on how much extra load you can add to the rear lighting & others seem a little more forgiving.  

Not sure. I have the BMW factory light in my top case and I have Hyperlights tapped into the brake light system. All work as they are supposed to.  I am NOT using an EZ-Can. The wildcard is your top case lights. The instructions for my 2014 rt wet came with the Hyperlights. 

Why not use the BMW auxililary brake light for the topcase, part # 77 51 8 520 044?  It is plug and play.

Then you can install a Billie, Jr. brake light to compliment the set-up.  I already had Clearwater Darlas installed, previously, and was able to use the extra wire in their CANopener that was needed for the Darlas, which will power the Billie Jr..

Just a thought.

I have the Skene version of Hyperlites installed.  I put it inline with the top case brake line.  I have the OEM LED bar in the case.  So both the LED pods and the light strip light/flash during braking.  It doesn't overload anything.

• Plus 1 1

I also have the 3M film on my bags and trunk. If all else fails they light up when the head lights hit them. Multiple people have given me positive reviews on the 3M film.

I would like to thank everyone who answered my request on hooking up my Hyper brake lights to the bike.

As it turns out I did go with the AMP LINK as suggested.  It’s a little bit pricy but not much more than the EZ-Can unit. And I watched a few video’s on how to install the unit to get a better feel for how to hook everything up. And I read the instructions a few time too. I like to make sure that I understand everything before I actually do the work. I am very impressed with how small it is and that it is water proof too. And the kit comes with all the parts you need to install whatever accessories you want up to 6 items. The EZ-Can only has 4 accessories that you can add, 2 high amp and 2 low amps. Whereas with the Amp Link you can use all 6 outputs for whatever you want. The Amp Link is basically a circuit breaker box separate from the bikes wiring. And the EZ-Can is connected to the Can Bus wiring harness.

Finding a place to install it on the bike was a little bit of a challenge. BMW used up all for the space under the front a rear seats on the RT. I contemplated putting it behind the side panel where you access the rear master cylinder on the RH side. But I ended up mounting it under the rear tail rack where the top box mounts. There’s more room in that area to work with along with the other electronics for the bike too. There are a couple tabs with a whole in it and it is welded to the frame, probably for some OEM module that isn’t used on my bike so I used those 2 tabs to mount the AMP Link unit there.

I typically plan things out before I do the work, so I made a sketch on how I was going wire the lights up and the other accessories. So I could visualize how I was going to actually set it up before I started to work on the bike. See the attached sketch. I used the Aux plug wire on LH side under the grab handle for my trigger switch wire, so that the accessories would turn on when I turned on the bike and not be powered up all the time. With the AMP Link you can change the delay on when the accessories turns on and off. So everything doesn’t turn on when you start the bike. That can be good if your battery is running low.

Everything is working as planned.  And I thought I would let you know how things worked out for me. And thank you for your help.

Hyper lite-AmpLink sketch 20220408.jpeg