IGNORED

How to jumpstart a 2002 R1150RT ?

davidfrench

30 minutes ago, davidfrench said:

Does anyone know how to jumpstart a 2002 R1150RT ?

Afternoon davidfrench

Those BMW 1150RT bikes are a pain to jump start as you need to remove plastic to access the starter,  or you need to gain access to the battery (+) post.

On the old 1150RT bikes with the semi hidden battery and no external jumper access I typically use an old "heavy shank" long screwdriver. I typically hook up the jumper "ground" cable to the rear shock upper bolt,  then hook the jumper battery positive cable to the long screwdriver shank near the handle. Then carefully work the screwdriver blade in to firmly touch the motorcycle battery "positive" post.

Once you figure out the  access angle & how to do it the process is pretty simple & works fairly good. 

MichiganBob

Good Day.

Unless he means a moving bump or jump start. Can you roll down a hill, pop the clutch, and take off with an 02 RT?

31 minutes ago, davidfrench said:

Can you BUMP START the 2002 R1150RT?

Afternoon davidfrench

You can do that, BUT, the battery has to have enough voltage with the key-on to run the fuel pump & run the fuel injection system.

You can't bump start it with a completely dead battery. 

If it has enough battery power remaining with the key-on then it will probably take at least 2 people, one on the motorcycle & one pushing, plus a slight downhill run REALLY helps it gain enough momentum to bump start it. (these large piston 2 cylinder engines don't bump start easily) 

2  pushing & one on the motorcycle is usually best. 

• Like 1

Yup can bump it if there is enough volts to run the fuel pump, injectors and computer’s ability to time the spark.

I did it once with a steep hill the head lamp unplugged and in 3rd or 4th gear (don’t remember exactly).  Even with the hill it was a beast to do. And 1st & 2nd gear only produced a skid to a stop.

3 hours ago, Paul De said:

Yup can bump it if there is enough volts to run the fuel pump, injectors and computer’s ability to time the spark.

I did it once with a steep hill the head lamp unplugged and in 3rd or 4th gear (don’t remember exactly).  Even with the hill it was a beast to do. And 1st & 2nd gear only produced a skid to a stop.

Evening Paul 

It a pain to unplug the headlight on the 1150RT as it is under that darn cover. Lot easier to just remove the load relief relay as that not only turns the headlight off but also removes some other system loads.