IGNORED

2011 RT Transmission Potentiometer R&R

Polo

9 hours ago, Polo said:

No gear position.  The potentiometer cable was sheared.
How do you get to it to replace it?

Morning Polo

BMW service manual says to remove left hand side foot plate then disconnect and move exhaust valve servo motor.  

Tanks.

That looks accurate... half way.

Still need to remove starter motor b/c wire is secured to side of transmission, and can't get to whatever is securing it.

Potentiometer is bolted in with 2 Torx bolts; bottom one, no problem, top one is behind swing arm, may need a special tool, or remove swing arm; whichever is ceaper.  Could you share the service manual URL?

9 hours ago, Polo said:

Tanks.

That looks accurate... half way.

Still need to remove starter motor b/c wire is secured to side of transmission, and can't get to whatever is securing it.

Potentiometer is bolted in with 2 Torx bolts; bottom one, no problem, top one is behind swing arm, may need a special tool, or remove swing arm; whichever is ceaper.  Could you share the service manual URL?

Morning Polo

Check your messages on this site as I sent you some screen shots.

My service manual is on my computer so no URL. Not that you should need one as the BMW manual doesn't say much more than I sent you. 

BMW service manuals with a URL are usually pirated (stolen material) service manuals posted (or sold) with blatant copyright infringement so not many here would recommend a stolen service manual (at least I hope not anyhow). Posting links to stolen (pirated) service manuals is very disrespectful to this well respected web site.

You should not have to remove the swing arm as the service manual doesn't mention doing that, depending on the tools you have handy (or are willing to modify) it is doable without removing swing arm. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Dirtrider.

Job done.

Whether necessary or not, I removed the headers, b/c the cat-converter was in the way, (or I did not have the right tool).  Once that and the starter were out of the way along with the exhaust valve servo motor, it was easy to get to the bottom bolt, for the top one I needed a 1/2" offset E6, which I do not have, but alas! the 3/16, (or is it 1/4) socket fit perfectly, and with a small vice pliers, it worked fine.

Thanks for your help!