IGNORED

K1200 or R1200, that's the question

Dave P

Hi folks, I've been doing the Beemer bike thing since 1994, but have owned only 2: a monoshock airhead R80RT and currently a R1100RT. Have had the oilhead for 9 years now and she has 130K miles on the ticker. Runs great.

I've been saving up for a replacement bike and had my sights on an R1200RT, probably 07, 08, maybe as old as an 06. But recently I noticed the first gen K1200GT. Beautiful bike, fast, looks similar to my 1100RT. Looks pretty comfy, and affordable.  Fuel capacity is lower, and that big chunk out of the left side bag is kinda a drag, but they look really nice. Wonder if it might be a little too many horses for me to wrangle. My budget is in the 4-5k range, and I do all of my own wrenching.

My Oilhead has been quite reliable and does everything I want it to do but you know, sometimes you get an itch. I've never even ridden a K bike before! Hard to predict, but am I asking for a long list of problems with an 18 year old water cooled 4 banger? Are these things shot by 50k?

Just wondering... Thanks! Dave

Johnny Jetson

I owned a K1200GT  (wedge engine, not the old one) for 3 years and about 30K miles.  It was The Girl With The Curl.  When it was running, it would invite you to do evil -- Any corner, any speed and the bike was asking for more (push it, baby!  push it!).  158 MPH on the GPS and it was still going up hard. It went through Michelin radials every 5000 miles, and it was chewing off the sidewalls, not the center. 

I'd have kept it forever, but you shouldn't be on a first name basis with your shop manager.  Every time I turned around, it was something:  2 clutches in 30,000 miles, the carrier bearing on the drive shaft is in a tube and can't be lubed, but it's press fitted on and the whole shaft assy has to be air freighted from Germany.  The kickstand is at too low a lean angle and wore out -- also ordered from Germany.....

And the list went on.  It became evident that it wasn't going to end when the replacement parts themselves were wearing out. I gave up and let someone else have a try. 

The K1300 has much better reliability, if you can find one. But it's well known in the BMW circles and they guys who have them aren't letting go. 

Good luck.  

3 hours ago, Dave P said:

my sights on an R1200RT,

big step up from your 1100..... try for a 2010-2013 Camhead RT. They can be found for a reasonable price, just takes some digging. One just sold through this forum at a great price. Good luck with the search!