IGNORED

Yeah, another gas mileage question

Randyjaco

I now have 8k miles on my bike now (2017 RT). Initially I had some fuel issues which have been corrected and at 5k miles I did a 12k service (in February) and a GS911 check. With the exception of the valve timing being off a bit (corrected), everything came out good. So I figured that the engine is worn in and in excellent condition. Today I took a 200-mile ride  out and back on some flat straight Texas roads with the cruise control set at 73 per the GPS.  The end result 42 MPG. It is a little disappointing coming off a F800ST that got 55 MPG under the same conditions. Even my 12-year-old Prius gets 45 MPG at that speed. The bike is all stock, no mods except for a Quiet Ride windshield. I weigh 165#, so it is not carrying a lot of weight. The gas is standard pump 93 octane. The tires are Road 6 front and Road 4 rear at factory pressures.

So does this mileage sound right to y'all or do I need to look for other problems?

With that plastic tube extending into the tank from the filler, I find it hard to fill to the same level close enough to make a realistic calc of what my mileage is.  It's darker than the inside of a cow in there and the tube is some extra terrestrial light absorbing plastic.  I believe, but cannot prove that I'm getting somewhere just under 50 mpg on premium grade 10% corn gas.

• Plus 1 1

I typically got about 43-45mpg on my ‘17. I always ran 89 octane and ran tire pressures 2 lbs. PSI above BMW recommendations. Bigger shield and those Texas headwinds could affect it also. 

• Like 1
On 3/30/2022 at 6:46 PM, Randyjaco said:

... Even my 12-year-old Prius gets 45 MPG at that speed.

I'd rather ride a R1200RT at 42 MPG than drive a Prius at 45 MPG.  Just sayin' ... :18:

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 2
  • Smile 1

Randy… on my 14 I have a lifetime average of 46. If I run at 70 in no wind and the shield only up enough to block wind in the face, I get 48. Raise the screen or get strong headwinds and it will fall to 43 or so. Wind and shield position make a huge difference. The day you rode it was pretty windy here

Same thing in my Tahoe. No or light wind 70mph, 25-26. Add 20 mph wind and mileage is 20-21

• 3 weeks later...

42 sounds a bit low to me at a steady 73. I would expect something closer to mid-to upper 40s, but as others have pointed out, wind will make a big difference.