IGNORED

Side Stand Light?

Randyjaco

One of the constant minor aggravations of 17RT is the side stand. I am surprised that BMW doesn't have a dash warning light indicator that the side stand is down. It has never been much of an issue with my other bikes, but it is an issue with my RT.  Usually, it is my engine dying after shifting into first., but today I almost dropped the bike because I thought I had the stand down, but didn't. I am wondering if anyone has put together an indicator light for their side stand? It ought to be a pretty simple thing to do and maybe there is a commercial one available? 

RLOL!!    TADT (i.e. "they all do that").

My RT was delivered (to Idaho from California) around the first week of November.   I got in two rides before I shut her down for the winter.  (I could probably have ridden more, but I didn't have decent riding gear, was busy closing up fall projects before winter, etc.).

On the second ride, I took her up a road behind us, overlooking our lake.  It's newly paved, i.e. new housing development (e.g. 2+ acre lots in mountainous terrain, not exactly "Levittown").   I'm just easing back into riding after a 6 year layoff, so I'm riding like I'm walking on glass, ~~ VERY ~~ carefully.  So, I want to stop to take a picture, and it's on a slope, so I'm maneuvering the RT around, trying not to dump it the second time I'm on it,  🙄 and I get her pointed uphill, on the side stand, set her in gear as a parking brake, and take my pictures.  It's a pretty fall day.

All done, it's starting to rain again, I hop on her and get her down the mountain and back in the garage,  and, I stall it.   Fortunately, this isn't on a city street where other folks get to watch the newbie learn to ride his expensive motorcycle 🙄🙄.  "Ok", I tell myself, "... quit doing that stupid stuff".  Start her again, and THIS time carefully release clutch, and she stalls out again.   I try a couple more times, and remember, I just got this bike and don't know for sure what I've got.  Now I'm thinking, "ok, we might have a  problem here".  I'm thinking about coasting her downhill, maybe bump starting it.  I have to get this beast of a bike, now pointed up hill, into position to ride it down hill, and as I'm rolling it backwards sideways to the hill, my side stand hits pavement.  I look down, and think "Oh, sh***t, I forgot about the @$&$@$!! BMW side stand safety feature".   So, I flip up the stand, roll her forward and allow the bump start, and back home we go, ridding slowly in every turn like I'm riding on training wheels.  🙄🙄🙄🙄   

So, I'm thinking, "Well, at least no one saw me, and no one will ever know, unless I open my big mouth", something of course, than I never fail to do. 🤣

It's a good safety feature.  After you've pushed your bike 'cause ya cant' start it, you'll never forget why you stalled it again. 🙃😁  Don't need any more indicator "stupid lights".  This dang bike is already instrumented like a 767 cockpit.  I still can't figure out half the dang features; maybe by my third ride, I'll get it.  😖😁 You'll know that your side stand is down, because you'll learn to reflexively sweep your left leg down there where it sits, before you try resting it on it's left side, and you'll sweep upwards to make sure it's up, before you push the starter button.  (As a habit, I never start the bike when it's on the kickstand, unless I'm warming it up or doing something else like that,  e.g. oil check).   I don't know if it's faulty memory (always a possibility with me), but also, I recall the kickstand being further back on my R1150 and R1200 Beemers.  It seems difficult to find that side stand, when it used to be "reflexive" putting it down.   More riding==more practice.

I don't think I ever wished for a side stand light. My Hexhead has a sort of flag that  tells me when the stand is down. I suppose it could be located a little higher to get it in my line of sight, but I can usually see it OK if I glance down by my left boot.

Except when putting the bike(s) away in the garage, I almost always use the side stand.  When I roll it out of the garage to ride, I park it on the side stand.  I'm old enough to be retired, but not so old I forget it is on the sidestand.  I typically hit the start button while putting on my helmet, bike on sidestand, and in neurtal.  If it wont turn over its easy to figure out I am not in neutral..  I get on the bike, raise it up, pull up the sidestand, then off I go.  I'm not sure how you could push my bike with the sidestand down as it would interfere with trying to roll it forward.  Dont need a light to know it's down.  Warm up cycle is about 20 seconds.

• Like 1

Yeah, 20 years ago I would have thought it a dumb idea too, but at 75 I need all the help I can get:19:

This is my first Boxer, and the left cylinder pretty much hides the side stand. On my previous bikes I could just look down and see the side stand. A little research shows that some  manufactures have them and for some reason they are popular in India. (the internet is an amazing place)

I was thinking of using the existing side stand switch, but it functions the opposite of what I need. So I guess I will need to find a waterproof limit switch and figure out a way to mount it.

15 hours ago, Randyjaco said:

One of the constant minor aggravations of 17RT is the side stand. I am surprised that BMW doesn't have a dash warning light indicator that the side stand is down. It has never been much of an issue with my other bikes, but it is an issue with my RT.  Usually, it is my engine dying after shifting into first., but today I almost dropped the bike because I thought I had the stand down, but didn't. I am wondering if anyone has put together an indicator light for their side stand? It ought to be a pretty simple thing to do and maybe there is a commercial one available? 

Morning  Randyjaco

You can't ride away with stand down so it is well protected.

If you want a work around then just keep trans in gear, that way it won't start with side stand down. 

My guess is ANOTHER  light wouldn't help most riders as after a while most riders just don't pay attention to dash lights until riding &  noticing that a dash light doesn't go out. 

• Like 2
  • Plus 1 1

Here's a thought . Ride more.. kicking the sidestand up will become second nature . After awhile you wont have to even think about it ..glad I could help . 

• Like 1

What may not work for most, may still work great for you. How about a buzzer/alarm instead of a light? Just food for thought.

4 hours ago, Randyjaco said:

Yeah, 20 years ago I would have thought it a dumb idea too, but at 75 I need all the help I can get:19:

This is my first Boxer, and the left cylinder pretty much hides the side stand. On my previous bikes I could just look down and see the side stand. A little research shows that some  manufactures have them and for some reason they are popular in India. (the internet is an amazing place)

I was thinking of using the existing side stand switch, but it functions the opposite of what I need. So I guess I will need to find a waterproof limit switch and figure out a way to mount it.

First BMW RT at age 75?

Hmmm,    

"Audaces Fortuna Juvat"

👍🍻🏆

(Fortune favors the bold)

Yeah, and over 60 years of riding. I will be getting the hang of it pretty soon 

Spent some of my early years as a bike mechanic, so I have grasped some of the concepts. :4322:

The 1150RT I had, had a very small footprint for the side stand.  Even the enlargers were not much help on soft ground.  I bought one of these, tied a red string through the hole, and put it under the side stand.  The string I wrapped around my left handle grip.  You might try this as it is a pretty darn good visual reminder.  A crushed can works too.

Amazon.com: KiWAV - Kickstand Pad (Orange Kickstand Pad) : Automotive

• Plus 1 1
2 hours ago, taylor1 said:

What may not work for most, may still work great for you. How about a buzzer/alarm instead of a light? Just food for thought.

Evening  taylor1

That would be pretty annoying with it beeping, buzzing, or alarming any time the engine was running with it in neutral with side stand down.  

• Like 1