IGNORED

High beam relay questions

DakarTimm

I would like to install additional lighting . On my previous 2002 R1150R ,I tapped into the wire for the high beam lead and ran it to a relay . The relay then allowed a fused power supply to an additional set of lights . 

Am I able to do the same with my 2016 R1200RS ? We currently do not have a reliable experianced dealer within 125 miles . Thank you in advance 

22 hours ago, DakarTimm said:

I would like to install additional lighting . On my previous 2002 R1150R ,I tapped into the wire for the high beam lead and ran it to a relay . The relay then allowed a fused power supply to an additional set of lights . 

Am I able to do the same with my 2016 R1200RS ? We currently do not have a reliable experianced dealer within 125 miles . Thank you in advance 

Afternoon  DakarTimm

About all I can tell you is probably. On the newer BMW motorcycles with electronic light controls the power circuit going to the lights is monitored by the computer. This it to set a warning light on the dash to show a light-out warning or shut down that circuit to protect the light circuit from damage if it senses an overload.

As long as the relay you use doesn't load the high beam circuit enough to trip the circuit shut-down then there is no problem in doing what you want to do.   (you will just have to make a test relay hookup to verify operation with no headlight shut down)

The other thing you need to look for is to use a relay with a clamping resistor across the pull-in coil, this prevents a high voltage spike from traveling back into the electronics when the relay coil shuts down & the pull-in coil collapses. Or if you intend to use a standard small (generic) light relay (most have no clamping resistor) then just add a 600-650 ohm resistor across the pull-in coil (85 - 86) in diagram below.

wjuGzdR.jpg