IGNORED

Klim 2020 Traverse Jacket & Pants Review

MotoNews

Published in: Gear

Klim Traverse Jacket & Pants intro

Although the third-generation Klim Badlands Pro Jacket and Pants exceeded my expectations during a three-month/10,000-mile BDR marathon (ADVMoto issue No.118), they didn’t see much action after I had returned to my base camp in the foothills of the Himalayas (ADVMoto issue No.119). Northern Thailand’s tropical climate calls for lightweight apparel that combines crash protection with maximum ventilation and breathability. It also needs to be waterproof and windproof during the wet monsoon and subsequent winter months when it’s frosty at high altitudes. Combining and reconciling these diametrically opposed design criteria is a difficult task.

Click Here to read the Klim Badlands Pro Jacket and Pants Review

The Badlands Pro, a world-class heavy-duty suit intended for four-season expedition wear, is impractical for dual-sport riding, which requires more physical effort than street riding. Given the high levels of exertion, you want gear that is breathable, flexible, well-ventilated, lightweight, and with good armor.

However, in cold or wet weather, body armor needs to be complemented with a windproof/waterproof shell. To this end, I used to carry lightweight raingear that packed small. Growing tired of frequently replacing my flimsy rainwear because it tore up easily in a spill, I was in the market for a more durable shell, better than the cheap gear I used when superior options were unavailable.

I considered the first-generation (2010) Klim Traverse in the past, but found the thick 840D Cordura overlays too bulky, heavy and stiff to be practical for dual-sport/enduro riding. It was positioned at the ADV end of the ADV/dual-sport market, where highway riding requires solid abrasion protection. In contrast, I was looking for a lighter, packable, more flexible shell that catered to the opposite dual-sport end of the spectrum, where the risk of high-speed sliding across tarmac is improbable.

Fast forward to the 2020 launch of the third-generation Traverse Jacket and Pants. This redesign has repositioned the Traverse more toward the dual-sport/enduro end of the spectrum where it belongs, as Klim’s product range already amply serves the ADV segment.

After several months of intensive use, including plenty of inclement weather, I can confirm that the third-generation Traverse lived up to my high expectations. In line with earlier experiences with Klim’s Gore-Tex-lined apparel, the Traverse kept me dry in the ferocious monsoon rainstorms of Southeast Asia, which was no small feat.

Klim Traverse Jacket Pants Review 1

However, I was more curious about how well it would hold up in the inevitable spills. The Traverse turned out to be more robust than expected, unscathed from numerous falls on the treacherous trails. My enthusiastic collecting of soil samples hardly left any skid marks on the 500D Cordura overlays that cover the impact abrasion areas, impressing me to no end. The rigorous crash test program demonstrated that Klim’s trade-off paid off, as substituting the lighter-duty 500D Cordura for the thicker, more abrasion-resistant 840D Cordura of the earlier editions substantially lowered its bulk, weight and stiffness without sacrificing much of its robustness and durability.

Klim Traverse Jacket Pants Review 2

Overall, the improvements offered by the new design and lightweight nylon chassis increases the Traverse’s usability for its intended purpose. Unlike typical ADV jackets, the new Traverse jacket packs small enough for carrying in a hip/backpack or on the bike, greatly enhancing versatility and mobility by complementing the standard dual-sport/enduro outfit of an MX shirt and body armor. In this mode, the D3O vented armor pads on shoulders and elbows are redundant. I only left the hip armor in the pants and removed the knee pads to make space for knee braces. If you opt to keep the armor in place, the elbow and knee armor pockets feature ingenious Velcro strips for adjusting their positions. The jacket’s anti-microbial, moisture-wicking mesh lining features a pocket for a back protector, sold separately.

For a breathable wind/rainproof shell, the ventilation performs well. The pants have two 10-inch intake, and two seven-inch exhaust zippered vents on the thighs, while the jacket features two 14-inch zippered armpit vents. The Velcro-fitted cuffs on the over-the-boot pants easily adjust the fit to MX or ADV boots. The jacket sports two hand pockets, an external chest pocket with key lanyard, and a large internal chest pocket with headphone port. The pants have one external cargo pocket. All external pockets have waterproof YKK zippers. Klim’s attention to detail shows up in the clever Velcro tab retainer that keeps the microfleece-lined cinch collar open for ventilation without the annoying wind flapping against your neck.

Klim Traverse Jacket Pants Review 3

As far as top-quality technical riding gear goes, the third-generation Traverse reconfirms why Klim is the industry leader. The Idaho-based brand spares no effort or expense developing the ultimate gear that holds up under the most extreme conditions. With the latest iteration, Klim once again shows that implementing the feedback from their customer base into their design process delivers world-class riding equipment. The mimimalist, functional shell design of the flexible, lightweight, waterproof Klim Traverse fits right in with the BYO-base/mid-layers and body armor layering approach so popular with dual-sport/enduro riders.

Klim.com

MSRP(as of publishing date): Traverse Jacket—$449.99 | Traverse Pants–$449.99

Where to Buy:  

Official Site btn    Revzilla btn   Moto Sport btn

PROS:

• Lightweight and 100% waterproof
  • Protection and ventilation
  • Durability, low bulk and packable
  • Fit compatible with body armor system

CONS:

• Removable D3O armor pads on shoulders, elbows, knees and hips can be redundant with some suit combos
  • Price could be reduced if the D3O armor pads were optional
  • No belt loops on the pant waist (only two adjustable Velcro-straps on the sides)

View the full article