IGNORED

R1200RT fuse block, fuse relay

Mike05

I want to add after-market electrical accessories to a 05' R1200RT. I have been made very aware of the sensative nature of the cambus system and want to do this correctly.

Is it better to start by adding something like a Touratech TPS 15 fuse block or a Centech Ap-1 fuse panel? I am admittingly "electrically challenged" but am resisting the Dealership approach of just doing everything as we go along.

Mike05

Either the Touratech or Centech will work great. Assuming you want to use a "switched" source, I'd recommend tapping into the small parking light to power the relay. It is easy to get to by taking the small cover off the mirror assembly. This will give you a switched source that instantly turns on and off with the ignition. If you tap into the accessory plug, there is a delay plus if you also plug in the BMW charger, it will power up the relay which means your accessories may all come on. Typically not a good idea.

I got the Blue seas 5025 fuse box. I took switched power from the accesory plug. Works perfectly running my piaa's and his and her Gerbings... thumbsup.gif

CruisinCruzan

I have a Painless Wiring CirKit Boss. It has 7 circuits, 4 switched and 3 consant hot (there are all switched versions, as well as, less and more circuit versions). It has a built in relay and comes in standard and weather resistant versions. A little bulky but I managed to get it in.

can anyone provide detailed, step by step, instructions for installing the centech. amateur here. thanks

Looking forward to doing a Centec installation myself in the near future.

AD

lawnchairboy

search under jim von baden's posts, he did a blue seas installation on his GS with good pics/instructions..I am electromechanically challenged and managed to complete it on my bike...

can anyone provide detailed, step by step, instructions for installing the centech. amateur here. thanks

Here are simple step-by-step, color-by-color instructions. I call it wiring for dummies (I'm completely ignorant in wiring but I got spoon fed by an electrical engineer so I'm passing it along in good faith). All the usual disclaimers apply; Use at your own peril, YMMV, I'm not a lawyaer but I play one on TV, etc... This is to wire up a centech1 fuse panel with a relay on a 2006 1200RT with rear outlet plug only. If you want your centect1 and relay wired to the parking lights this won't help you.

1) get a relay from BMW dealer it will have 5 wires in the adjoining plug (Yellow, blue, black, white, red)

2) remove the red wire from the relay harness as it's not used and will only be in your way.

3) The rear accy plug has 2 wires comming off it: Brown and Red/White

4) since there is little room in the rear cowling I used the plastic splicers to connect wires rather than solder them. On the brown accy. plug side connect it to the blue wire from the relay (Labled # 85 on the relay)

5)On the red/white side of the accy outlet plug connect this to the yellow on the relay (labled # 86)(NOTE: There is a diode between the yellow and blue wires of the relay)

6) Run the black wire from the relay directly to the positive side of the battery.

7)Run the white wire from the relay directly to the positive lug on the Centech1 fuse panel

8) the negative lug on the centech 1 fuse panel goes to the negative on the battery.

You have just completed activating your centech 1 fuse panel and relay in 8 simple steps.

Remove the cover of your centech1 fuse panel to hook up any farkles you've added. the post are clearly marked positive and negative so it should be no trouble adding lots of farkles to your ride. Good luck and get to farkelizing, you can do it!!! clap.gif

My bike (2005 RT) does not have a rear accessory plug. However, in the rear of the bike there is a connector taped to the wire bundle with a female end (two circular holes). Wires are brown and Green/Red (not red/white.)

Is this the read accessory connection that I can attach the relay to?

Archived