IGNORED

Vibration Feedback when Shifting

RTmutter

I test drove a 2014 R1200RT yesterday. All in all, a very nice bike but there were 2 issues that spooked me enough that I did not make an offer on it. My biggest concern was the significant vibration that was fed back to my foot through the shift lever when shifting gears, particularly from 1st to 2nd gear. I have an 1150RT and a K1200GT (both 2004 models) and I am very used to the clunkiness of those transmissions when shifting. The 2014 R1200RT had a similar clunkiness but the forcefulness of the vibration that I felt when shifting was something that I have not come across before. Not sure of the internal design but I am picturing the shift dogs (if that is the right term) taking too long and really struggling to fully engage. My question is whether others have had the same experience and/or is this a normal situation with this model year transmission.

The 2nd issue was the valves or valvetrain "chattering" at times. This would occur at lower RPM's under load and clear up after RPM's increased. The owner said that he recently had a valve adjustment performed. Again, I am comparing against my 2 bikes where I don't hear anything under similar RPM & load conditions. If anyone has any experience or comments on these items, I would love to hear about it. Thanks to all.

12 hours ago, gary45 said:

The wethead motor is extremely noisy

And shifting on the LC improved greatly on the 17 and up model years as they upgraded the drive line.

Hello RTmutter,

I have a ‘14 and it exhibits all the characteristics/symptoms you described. If I get the timing just right, by closing the throttle just before pulling in the clutch while shifting between 1-2, it shifts without any “crunching” or clunking.  And that is only when I’m not in a hurry and shifting leisurely. Also my motor is still 

“clattery”, though less so, after adjusting my valve clearances to the lower end of the clearance range (as suggested by Boxflyer). 

Ride another ‘14 or ‘15 and compare, if you’re worried. Otherwise, get it and enjoy the ride!

Paul4450 - Thanks for the info on your '14 model. That sounds like one vote for nothing being out of the norm. Any other things I should be looking for on this particular model? 

Next time you ride one and it has shift assist pro, try clutch-less shifting from 2nd on up, it really helps to make smooth positive gear changes.  Yes the '17 model year forward has less of the shift issues you speak of, valve train about the same.  The other way to get past noticing shifting and valve train noise is the hold the throttle WFO, you'll be too preoccupied with holding on and not so focused on valve train noise and idiosyncratic shifting.:grin:

• Haha 1

Hello RTmutter,

Since I haven’t ridden a ‘17 or newer wethead, I can’t tell you how much better they shift. My ‘14 has been trouble free. I’ve experimented with tire pressures as I found 42 psi in the rear transmits too many little bumps, settling on 37-38 psi cold. My butt didn’t agree with the stock seat so I went with a Day Long seat and love it. I splurged and got Tractive suspension dampers, but I can’t say they made a huge difference.  But I do think it does give a slightly more plush (absorbs small bumps, a bit less high speed compression damping) yet remains well controlled without wallowing or pitching (good low speed damping). 

I have zero regrets buying mine!

I have a 15, and it sounds like it has a bag full of spanners inside the motor. If that stops, I'll be worried. Regarding the shift, my bike is okay, but I use the quickshifter for almost all gear changes (except in traffic). I've had 4 other RT's, and this is the clunkiest gearbox of them all.

For whats its worth, I have a 2019 R1250RT that i bought from the original owner who was an older man who buys a new bike every couple years. It had 6000km on it. Shifting from 1-2 usually isn't smooth if the rpms are low. It almost feels like a slight grinding/vibrating feeling. Sometimes it shifts totally fine, then with what I think is the same technique, I get that weird feedback. It seems to shift 1-2 much better with the rpms up a bit, like 4000+. I can get it smooth around that rpm more often than not. Sometimes there's some negative feedback from 2-3 as well but its good the majority of the time and when it does happen it's definitely not as bad as 1-2. Anything from 3 up is buttery smooth.

My engine sounds fine to me, I don't notice chattering while riding. The exception is when I'm stopped and have the clutch pulled in. For whatever reason this creates a chattering noise. I read the mechanical explanation in the past but can't remember the cause. I know I stopped worrying about it last year so hopefully it's nothing bad lol.

On 4/10/2022 at 8:53 PM, Audi403 said:

My engine sounds fine to me, I don't notice chattering while riding. The exception is when I'm stopped and have the clutch pulled in. For whatever reason this creates a chattering noise. I read the mechanical explanation in the past but can't remember the cause. I know I stopped worrying about it last year so hopefully it's nothing bad lol.

Probably the clutch plates rattling in the basket.  I hadn't noticed it being too loud on my 2015, but there is a slight rattle when the clutch is disengaged while stopped. I've never notice it while underway though. Surely, not even in the same universe of loud like the disengaged clutch clatter of my old neighbor's 916 Ducati with its dry multi plate clutch and ventilated clutch cover. That clatter can wake the dead!

Is it wrong that I kind of like that Ducati clutch chatter? Harley belt drives with the dry clutch do it too, warms my heart.

39 minutes ago, Paul De said:

Probably the clutch plates rattling in the basket.  I hadn't noticed it being too loud on my 2015, but there is a slight rattle when the clutch is disengaged while stopped. I've never notice it while underway though. Surely, not even in the same universe of loud like the disengaged clutch clatter of my old neighbor's 916 Ducati with its dry multi plate clutch and ventilated clutch cover. That clatter can wake the dead!

I think I misspoke in my last post. The chattering noise is like you said, when the clutch is disengaged while in neutral. 

On 4/14/2022 at 12:05 PM, Hosstage said:

Is it wrong that I kind of like that Ducati clutch chatter? Harley belt drives with the dry clutch do it too, warms my heart.

Haha, you are not wrong and I too like the jingle sound in time with the exhaust note/power pulses on that 916. Gives you a heads up there is a motor with serious power on tap.   But that Duc is in a league of it own for loud clutch clatter….Loud Clutches Saves Lives!

• Smile 1

I just went for a ride and think I may have found a solution for the intermittent rough shift from 1 to 2. If I just put the slightest amount of pressure up on the shift lever with my foot before I pull the clutch and shift, it seems to be smooth every time. Will keep testing...

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, Audi403 said:

I just went for a ride and think I may have found a solution for the intermittent rough shift from 1 to 2. If I just put the slightest amount of pressure up on the shift lever with my foot before I pull the clutch and shift, it seems to be smooth every time. Will keep testing...

That is called pre loading the shifter and I am surprised it wasn't mentioned. 

That has been the best "cure" I have seen posted and used over many posts on many forums.

It is why I traded my 15 RT for a 17 GS to get all the transmission and drive line updates.  Well plus it was a low model and called my name really hard when I was not even looking.

My 15 RT was ok shifting as we came to a understanding, or at least I did, if I did not want hard shifts.  It was no big deal and easily retained in muscle memory.

That said my 17.5 GS shifts smooth and I am very happy I bought it when I did.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
On 4/16/2022 at 5:36 PM, LAF said:

That is called pre loading the shifter and I am surprised it wasn't mentioned. 

That has been the best "cure" I have seen posted and used over many posts on many forums.

It is why I traded my 15 RT for a 17 GS to get all the transmission and drive line updates.  Well plus it was a low model and called my name really hard when I was not even looking.

My 15 RT was ok shifting as we came to a understanding, or at least I did, if I did not want hard shifts.  It was no big deal and easily retained in muscle memory.

That said my 17.5 GS shifts smooth and I am very happy I bought it when I did.

Yup, I've been pre-loading my shifter since 1999 when I bought my first used RT.    If you try that on a '22 Shift-Head, you'll be in the next gear before you pull the clutch.  ...Now I have to re-learn to shift like a normal person on a normal Japanese sport bike.   Seriously a different ball-game now.  '22 trans is upgraded from the '21, I think, because I have a pal with a '21 and his seems more BMW-like.   You also get a lot less fussy ShiftAssist with the new ones.     I've upshifted accidentally with my new bike a couple times.    

10 hours ago, Yuro said:

Yup, I've been pre-loading my shifter since 1999 when I bought my first used RT.    If you try that on a '22 Shift-Head, you'll be in the next gear before you pull the clutch.  ...Now I have to re-learn to shift like a normal person on a normal Japanese sport bike.   Seriously a different ball-game now.  '22 trans is upgraded from the '21, I think, because I have a pal with a '21 and his seems more BMW-like.   You also get a lot less fussy ShiftAssist with the new ones.     I've upshifted accidentally with my new bike a couple times.    

I do it on my 2019 but it's similar to what you're describing. Especially from 1st to 2nd gear. You just need the absolute slightest amount of pressure otherwise it will shift into 2nd before you pull the clutch. I have it down now though and it works great!