IGNORED

Optional Extras and Accessory Points

1200Arty

Recently bought my 09 RT and reference is made in the Clymer Manual to an Alarm & Tyre Pressure Sensors.  My first question is, were these standard or optional extras, as mine doesn't appear to have them.  Or are they items which can be enabled or disabled on the Can-Bus?

The second question relates to a spare 3-way female connector from the main harness loom (near the front suspension) - it has 3 wires, blue, brown & what looks like red/yellow. I can't find these 3 colours on the wiring diagram so does anyone know what it is meant for and what type of connector should be used to blank it off for protection?

33 minutes ago, 1200Arty said:

Recently bought my 09 RT and reference is made in the Clymer Manual to an Alarm & Tyre Pressure Sensors.  My first question is, were these standard or optional extras, as mine doesn't appear to have them.  Or are they items which can be enabled or disabled on the Can-Bus?

The second question relates to a spare 3-way female connector from the main harness loom (near the front suspension) - it has 3 wires, blue, brown & what looks like red/yellow. I can't find these 3 colours on the wiring diagram so does anyone know what it is meant for and what type of connector should be used to blank it off for protection?

Afternoon  1200Arty

That is the optional accessory connector. One wire is speed output, one is low (ground) & one is 12V power form the accessory circuit. 

Those are not blanked off from the factory but you can cover it with liquid tape, or, fill it with dielectric grease, or buy an expensive mating pigtail connector then cut the pigtail wires off.  

P/N    83300413585   repair plug (3 pin) About $17.00 from BMW.

17 minutes ago, dirtrider said:

Afternoon  1200Arty

That is the optional accessory connector. One wire is speed output, one is low (ground) & one is 12V power form the accessory circuit. 

Those are not blanked off from the factory but you can cover it with liquid tape, or, fill it with dielectric grease, or buy an expensive mating pigtail connector then cut the pigtail wires off.  

P/N    83300413585   repair plug (3 pin) About $17.00 from BMW.

Many thanks once more DR.  I've never heard the expression "speed output" so perhaps I could ask you to clarify?  If liquid tape or dieletric grease are used how would these be removed if one wanted to use in the future?  Why not just use a good quality electrical tape?

So typically, what do riders connect here and are there accessories e.g. for heated gear that should not connect there, notwithstanding the auxilliary power socket(s)?

Paul

19 minutes ago, 1200Arty said:

Many thanks once more DR.  I've never heard the expression "speed output" so perhaps I could ask you to clarify?  If liquid tape or dieletric grease are used how would these be removed if one wanted to use in the future?  Why not just use a good quality electrical tape?

So typically, what do riders connect here and are there accessories e.g. for heated gear that should not connect there, notwithstanding the auxilliary power socket(s)?

Paul

Afternoon Paul 

The speed output is/was mainly used for input into police speed timing  equipment as far as I can tell. I haven't ever found another use for it. 

That connector is mainly used by most for a phone charger or GPS, there are probably other uses but the GPS is the most common.

It comes on with the key-on but doesn't turn off after key-off for a delay period.   (same as the accessory sockets).

As for using liquid tape?-- I suppose you could tape over it then cover the tape with liquid tape as it should then be removable). Most don't do anything as it is open from the factory & most riders don't even know that connector is there.    

I forgot to answer your Alarm & Tyre Pressure Sensors form post above___

In the USA neither the Alarm or the  Tyre Pressure Sensors (TPMS system) were standard. Might be different in other countries due to insurance concerns, or country specific  requirements. 

Your motorcycle probably has a connector in the rear for both alarm & TPMS box plug in (same box just more in the combined box). You will then need the dealer to enable them with their computer . But I don't think they can enable a used box as they need the (specific) disk that comes with a new purchase. You will also probably need new wheel rims & wheel pressure sensors (VERY/VERY expensive). So aftermarket TPMS & aftermarket alarm is WAY cheaper. 

10 minutes ago, dirtrider said:

That connector is mainly used by most for a phone charger or GPS

Great, I've still got my Garmin Zumo to connect.  Clearly I'll need to leave the step-down transformer(?) wired in

Incidentally, as the BMW connectors are so expensive, any problem with the Can-Bus in chopping a BMW connector and using much cheaper 2, 3 or 4-way connectors and soldering into circuit?

Paul

3 minutes ago, 1200Arty said:

Great, I've still got my Garmin Zumo to connect.  Clearly I'll need to leave the step-down transformer(?) wired in

Incidentally, as the BMW connectors are so expensive, any problem with the Can-Bus in chopping a BMW connector and using much cheaper 2, 3 or 4-way connectors and soldering into circuit?

Paul

Afternoon Paul

You can cut the original off without any issues then add a new connector, or even just find some terminal pins that will fit then put them into the factory connector, then cover with liquid tape. 

Personally I don't use the connector for my GPS as it isn't a direct key-on & key-off control (delayed shutdown), it also powers off at a gas stop or any key-off. I like my GPS to stay on at gas stops & during lunch breaks so I don't interrupt my trip routing. I usually wire my GPS (fused battery direct) so (I) have control of the shutdown.

Also, with some Zumo's, that delayed shutdown can cause the Zumo to come back on (on internal  battery power)  at delayed circuit shutdown. Not all will do this but some will.  

5 hours ago, 1200Arty said:

Thoughts please, anyone?

Paul

25 minutes ago, 1200Arty said:

Thoughts please, anyone?

Paul

Afternoon Paul

I answered that in a post above but you probably missed it.

In the USA neither the Alarm or the  Tyre Pressure Sensors (TPMS system) were standard. Might be different in other countries due to insurance concerns, or country specific  requirements. 

Your motorcycle probably has a connector in the rear for both alarm & TPMS box plug in (same box just more in the combined box). You will then need the dealer to enable them with their computer . But I don't think they can enable a used box as they need the (specific) disk that comes with a new purchase. You will also probably need new wheels (rims)  plus both front & rear wheel pressure sensors (VERY/VERY expensive).

So usually an aftermarket TPMS system & aftermarket alarm is WAY cheaper.

11 hours ago, dirtrider said:

I answered that in a post above but you probably missed it.

Ooops!  Sorry and thank you DR

Paul