IGNORED

Gas Filler Cap Seal Ring

Rogerl

I have a 2013 R1200R. Today I pulled it into my shop to do the spring maintenance on the bike. I remembered that for my previous bike a 2008 R1200R  I had bought a rubber ring that went between the gas filler cap and the recess in the gas tank to keep water from getting down in the cavity. The ring had a strange name like a abadeck ring.  My 2013 did not have this ring either. I took the gas filler assembly off the fuel tank and the bottom of the recess had rust on it just like my 2008 did. I scraped off the rust and gave it quick coat of paint. I searched all over to try to find a link to this seal ring and could not find it. I looked in the BMW parts fiche and could not find it either. Does anyone know the ring I am talking about and where to get one?

Thanks

Roger L

12 hours ago, Rogerl said:

I have a 2013 R1200R. Today I pulled it into my shop to do the spring maintenance on the bike. I remembered that for my previous bike a 2008 R1200R  I had bought a rubber ring that went between the gas filler cap and the recess in the gas tank to keep water from getting down in the cavity. The ring had a strange name like a abadeck ring.  My 2013 did not have this ring either. I took the gas filler assembly off the fuel tank and the bottom of the recess had rust on it just like my 2008 did. I scraped off the rust and gave it quick coat of paint. I searched all over to try to find a link to this seal ring and could not find it. I looked in the BMW parts fiche and could not find it either. Does anyone know the ring I am talking about and where to get one?

Morning Roger

Did that gasket look anything like this?      

FuM4zpH.jpg

12 hours ago, Rogerl said:

Thanks

Roger L

More__

There is also a water drain hole in the filler ring, the drain for that hole passes through a hose running inside the fuel tank then out through the fuel pump pass-through. 

The pipe running through the fuel pump pass-through  tends to plug with dirt & rust therefore blocking the drain.

You might spray some WD-40 in that drain hole to see if it comes out drain hose on L/H side of motorcycle behind L/H foot peg area.   

After spraying in WD-40 you can try LIGHTLY blowing air through that drain hole, but CAUTION: don't use high air pressure or you risk blowing the hose off inside fuel tank.

I usually spray some WD-40 into that water drain hole a few times a year just to keep it open & prevent corroding the tube shut in the pump pass-through. 

Yes, the gasket looked like the one in the picture. I can not remember where I bought it. I will look for the drain hose.

Roger L

41 minutes ago, Rogerl said:

Yes, the gasket looked like the one in the picture. I can not remember where I bought it. I will look for the drain hose.

Roger L

Afternoon Roger

Euromotoelectrics has them (or had them anyhow)     https://www.euromotoelectrics.com/product-p/ft-gasket903.htm

I think they also sell them on E-Bay.                   https://www.ebay.com/itm/254271307603?hash=item3b33c03f53:g:oa0AAOSwUwtdDPy4

You might call Euromotoelectric just to make sure it will work for what you want.