IGNORED

Final Drive Rubber Boot

Chappie

2020 R1250 RT 6,000 miles. Sorry but this is my first post. I lowered my final drive and lubricated the splines of the driveshaft and on reassembly noticed that my rubber boot to swingarm  has a plastic retainer. that is supposed to snap in to the swingarm bore (seen in JVB video). My plastic retainer has a split on top and is loose. My questions are: Is the plastic retainer part of the boot or a separate part? Is it possible the bottom portion of the plastic retainer is not installed correctly? Did I perhaps break the retainer during disassembly?

The splines were stubborn to come out of the final drive and I pushed the rubber boot out of the way to gain access to the u joint so as not to drop the splines of the driveshaft off of the transmission. I will probably take it apart later today but I thought some knowledge would be useful.

Thanks in advance for any information. 

Chappie

I install about 10 of these a year.

Various reasons for replacement...on GS/A, there is a chance that the yoke will make contact with the fold of the accordion and eventually wear through, and on any of the rest of the bikes, the hard plastic ring with the clips can detach from the soft rubber boot and not fasten correctly to the paralever.

I have never had an issue with the end that clips onto the 3 points of the FD itself, it's always a problem with the paralever end.

If you have a break in the plastic ring, it's not going to make a proper connection with the paralever and it's time to get a new one.

I keep about 3 of these on hand all the time.

Here's another view of this part of the 12k Service

R1200RTW 12k Service on Final Drive

Final Drive Boot, Rear

24FF01DC-7CA8-488F-8E37-63C81D095217-M.j E217308A-D958-4B63-B036-3CFE54AC629B-M.j ED469DC1-DB76-4601-85F1-CE1133944656-M.j

Thank You so much for your speedy response. To be clear the part # 33 35 7 708 117 will contain the plastic piece or can I purchase that separately? And if so how can I get that part #. The boot is in good shape and If I can just obtain the plastic retainer that would be good.

Thanks again 

The boots, either front or rear on the paralever, have the hard plastic joined to the soft flexible part of the boot. 
If yours is broken and or detached, it time for a replacement. 
Hope this helps. 

Gee, on my R1150 and R1200 RT's, as I recall, those boots were secured with zip ties.  Has that changed?  Or were those BMW service shop-mod specials?!🤔

(Yeah, I could check mine in the garage, but it's so much easier to ask the guy who replaces 200 of these a year.   That's my lazy excuse, and I'm stickin' by it!)   😁

Since this is the WetHead section, I have no comment about any other models...

Only the front of the front boot has a zip tie on it, all the other 3 contact ends of the boots are secured with the plastic tipped teeth.

• Thanks 1

Update.

Went to my local BMW dealer and got the part. As soon as i saw the new boot it was self explanatory. I think I may have broken the old one when I was trying to keep the driveline from moving out of the transmission but I may have saved myself a headache by not allowing the driveline to come off the transmission splines. The splines on the final drive end were not rusty but was very difficult to remove.

Thank You Boxflyer for the advise - it was really helpful! 

Chappie