IGNORED

Would you buy an electric motorcycle if it fully-charged in five minutes?

MotoNews

Battery capacity and short charge time claims are rampant, overstated and usually go nowhere. I really like the idea of ev bikes (instant torque, quiet, no need for $5.00/gal gas) but the tech is just not there and may never be. At least for large bikes. This article really addresses a little scooter with pie in the sky hopes for larger bikes at some unspecified time.

I'll be to old to ride by the time any of this reaches the market.....sigh.

fourteenfour

You can ramp up the voltage to charge faster but both the battery and charger need to dissipate the heat generated. Already the industry is moving towards 800v as the next tier. To have cars charge at that rate also requires sufficient capacity onboard to distribute it properly.

If it would really charge in 5 minutes, and if there were an abundance of charging stations that would charge that quickly, and if it would deliver a ‘real world’ 250 miles between charges, and if it were no heavier and as capable as say an RT, and if the initial purchase price was comparable to an RT, then I possibly would seriously consider an e-bike.  This scenario seems like it is a long time in the future, if ever.  So, for me, for the foreseeable future I will keep my RT.

• Like 3

No, I wouldn't BUY any current electric vehicle until the industry somewhat standardizes. What's new today is obsolete tomorrow & unwanted by anyone 6 months in the future. 

Now I might consider leasing one through the warranty period with assurance that I can dump it with no penalty when it is obsolete in 3 years.   But the price would have to be right and the range per charge  (figured using my somewhat aggressive riding style) would have to be acceptable. 

I wonder what happens when I cross a 2 foot deep river with one of those electronic/electric wonder bikes? Or what the range is when riding in cold weather with all my heated gear on high?

Another player in the electric motorcycle market. Details are few so who knows what if any breakthrough they’ll present. 

So, no GS electric bikes, eh?  Interesting comment about water crossing, though. 

The initial cost would be a factor for me, but range, availble infrastructure, and repairability would also be part of some secondary consideration.  To be sure, I would use it for local fun riding and it would have to be inexpensive enough for me to consider it.  Cheap is more like it.  Yeah.

Truth be told, I have not ridden one or been in an electric car for that matter.  With that in mind, I would have to try it first.  Although, I would love some sound with my insane acceleration.. Just sayin'

8 minutes ago, wbw6cos said:

Although, I would love some sound with my insane acceleration.. Just sayin'

Like your neighbors…:dontknow:

Hate your neighbors…:classic_laugh:

• Haha 2

In a word, NO. in more words, not enough range for long distance or infrastructure for charging and not enough capacity for short distance or around town for me.