IGNORED

Tanks Bags

RPG

Good morning, I've been using a Marsee tankbag for a number of years on my r1150RT, but it has some shortcomings I always wanted to address. So I'm looking for some recommendations, please.

Issues with the Marsee:

1. The bag is wide enough that it interfers with the left side horn button. I have installed the device over the horn button, but still the horn will fire if I load anything into the left side pocket. A slimmer bag seems to be a better option.
  2. The map pocket has a weird shape. Fairly small and not quite a rectangle, resulting in lots of work to fold a map just right. I would like something with a larger overall map pocket.

Image 1 - Marsee Expandable Universal Tank Bag

Here's a couple of bags I thought might be a good replacement. I would like to keep the gas cap interlock feature so the bag doesn't touch the tank.

https://www.cyclegear.com/accessories/sw-motech-quick-lock-ion-15-22l-tank-bag?sku_id=1761502

https://twistedthrottle.com/shop/luggage/tank-bags-accessories/tank-bags/givi-xstream-tanklock-africa-twin-crf1000l-16-versys-650-15-16/

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Lone_RT_rider

Rick,

I can speak to the quality of the SW motech bags. I have a smaller bag than you're looking at, but have had mine for about 3 years now. It's never failed me and does the job really well. The materials are first rate and everything works as advertised. If I have one beef, it's the amount of pull force (tension) that it takes to release the bag from it's mount. It has decreased significantly over time, but it took a LONG time (at least a year). I use it more often than you might think. Basically, any ride that isn't just a run around town the bag goes on. :)

I hope this helps. 

Shawn

• Plus 1 2
44 minutes ago, Lone_RT_rider said:

Rick,

I can speak to the quality of the SW motech bags. I have a smaller bag than you're looking at, but have had mine for about 3 years now. It's never failed me and does the job really well. The materials are first rate and everything works as advertised. If I have one beef, it's the amount of pull force (tension) that it takes to release the bag from it's mount. It has decreased significantly over time, but it took a LONG time (at least a year). I use it more often than you might think. Basically, any ride that isn't just a run around town the bag goes on. :)

I hope this helps. 

Shawn

Hey Shawn, good to hear from you and thanks for the recommendation. I'm leaning towards the SW as well.

Rick

• Like 1
RandyShields
18 hours ago, RPG said:

I can speak to the quality of the SW motech bags.

After years of using a BMW and/or Held tank bag, I wanted something smaller and liked what Shawn was using, so I picked up a small SW Motech bag and have been very happy with it.  It connects directly to the tank ring with a magnet that slides it into position very easily.  Pull a short ripcord on the front to disengage.  The beauty of the bag is that it is expandable and, if you have more than one bike, you can get another tank ring and move the bag back and forth.  They don't come with a built-in map holder, but I found I wasn't really using that feature on my other bags as much as I thought, so I did not purchase the available map holder attachment. 

There are also some good videos out there that show the relative sizes and features of each bag.  Good luck with your search.

• Like 1

SW Motech makes good stuff. But maybe not quite the selection that Givi has. Getting the bag that fits and is sized for your needs makes all the difference. For years I had bags that hit the horn button and were just too big. Learned that smaller IS better because a tank bag is best used for those fewer things you need quick, easy access to. Smaller is MUCH easier when fueling too. You will hear that some have issues with Givi bags, specifically the zipper. I have had one for years and it works quite well to this day. 

I will only use a "tank lock" style bag now. After having magnetic, all sorts of strap held units, there is simply no way I would go back. Below is a video I made for a guy on Stromtroopers that was telling everyone a strap on bag was quicker than tank lock bags to remove and replace! I do run a tether, but it has never come loose. 

• Like 2

Givi tanklock for sure!   I have had one on my 2016 RT since it was new and it is the best !!   one hand click on and off,  multiple size bags fit the same ring, nice map pocket and rain cover. 

MichiganBob

Using the SW Mototech as well on my 2018 RT. Had to send one back as it did not clear the switches. Now have Citybag, small but handy and very good quality.Givi lock with a little high quality dry lube to ease the release.  Had to finally get that map holder. Pricey but I'm old school and missed having notes and maps right there in front of me on trips. 

I was never ever a tank bag guy always convinced they should ultimately scratch the tank.  Then 2 riding buddies went with the Givi after having the SW Motech which they were not happy with.  But once they got the Givi and I saw how easy they worked and how they don't come near the tank I was sold. 

7 hours ago, RandyShields said:

the available map holder attachment.

I have both the "City" and a "Day" SW Motech bags.  They snap on to a designated ring which was installed near the fuel filler access, and I like this.  I think they're great, except for not having a map pocket to view on the move.  Now, I guess I can check into this attachment!

MichiganBob

Prepare for sticker shock on the map pocket. However, it is really well made and a good fit. Think of it as half a tank of gas and you know how long that lasts.

5 hours ago, MichiganBob said:

Prepare for sticker shock on the map pocket. However, it is really well made and a good fit. Think of it as half a tank of gas and you know how long that lasts.

I also have the city bag. Just bought the map pocket too. 👍

Michiganr80rt

I have used the Hepco and Becker "M" bag for a couple of years. I like the magnetic latch on the tank ring better than the SW Motech mount. When you put the bag on the mounting ring the magnets on the bag and tank attract and the bag is locked securely on the bike. Pull the lanyard and the magnets on the bag move so the tank magnets repel the bag magnets and the bag lifts off.

https://www.motomachines.com/hepco-becker-tank-bag-street-tourer-m

https://www.bobsbmw.com/store/product/hepco--becker-street-tourer-tank-bag--large

IMG_3257 2.jpg

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Michiganr80rt said:

I have used the Hepco and Becker "M" bag for a couple of years. I like the magnetic latch on the tank ring better than the SW Motech mount. When you put the bag on the mounting ring the magnets on the bag and tank attract and the bag is locked securely on the bike. Pull the lanyard and the magnets on the bag move so the tank magnets repel the bag magnets and the bag lifts off.

https://www.motomachines.com/hepco-becker-tank-bag-street-tourer-m

https://www.bobsbmw.com/store/product/hepco--becker-street-tourer-tank-bag--large

IMG_3257 2.jpg

Giving this one a shot.  I like the way it looks.  Looks similar to the BMW RT Bag (circa 2005) that I used to have, and I like the mag tank lock.  Apparently (based on reading several reviews & vendor sites), there's only one universal-BMW tank ring available, which will fit the RTW standard fine, but the keyless tank caps require extra washers added.  I'll see what I've gotten myself into, when it arrives.  It was listed as backordered from your source, so I've ordered it from a Netherlands based vendor (crossing my fingers).  Things went well with the helmet I bought from Spain, so I expect EU based purchases should work out OK.  (If not, I paid via paypal, so I have some recourse.)

Thanks!  That's another item on the Spring bullet list handled.  I was trying hard to find H1/H7 LED's (other than pricy Cyclops), and have gone through the "research, research, research, ready to buy,  WAIT a minute here" routine 2 or 3 times, killing a whole lot of time.   That's really the last item on my immediate "farkles" list, other than extra lighting hanging below the mirrors which I may do next winter.  

Hmm, maybe I'll even ride the bike this year (oh, yeah, got that ONE more item "to do";  restart the insurance, don't forget that!). 😎

TracerBullet

I had a SW Mototech Ion 2 on my 14, for four months before I traded it in.  I really liked the quality and layout. So much so I ended up getting a City Pro for my 22. I thought about using the two interchangeably but they have different tank rings so now I will be putting it up in the market place

Michiganr80rt
19 hours ago, Scott9999 said:

I was trying hard to find H1/H7 LED's (other than pricy Cyclops),

I went around that research, research loop several times and ended up with the pricy Cyclops. I removed the headlight assembly to install them, a long process but not difficult. I have about 6k miles on the Cyclops LEDs and like them so far.

The Givi tank bag tank-lock system is the best, fastest and easiest mounting system that I've ever tried.   The lock-ring itself is very low-profile and not in the way without the bag in place.  Re-mounting the bag after fueling super easy and fast, basically just set the bag back on top of the tank and it self-centers and locks just that quick.  Also, the mounting system doesn't take up any noticeable room inside the bag like the Cortec mount does.

The bags themselves are excellent, design, materials, and workmanship.  There is a big selection of bags to choose from, also.  They come with rain covers plus an internal built-in cover.  I've never used either as the bag itself seems to be very "water resistant" as is.  

My only criticism of the "Givi system" is in selecting and then purchasing the correct and separate plastic lock-ring and steel mounting hardware for other bikes you want to use the tankbag on.  The mounting hardware comes WITH the tankbag when you buy it.   You have to select these separately for your other bikes and bolt rings and purchase them separately.  Givi does not make that clear or straightforward.  I've called their CS in Charlotte, NC, and even they admit it's not easy or clear.  The best way to find out what components you need is to call them, get the correct part #'s, and either purchase from them or on-line.  

image.png.3246416b05603b791f1661bff5ee1dc5.png

6 minutes ago, Lowndes said:

The Givi tank bag tank-lock system is the best, fastest and easiest mounting system that I've ever tried.   The lock-ring itself is very low-profile and not in the way without the bag in place.  Re-mounting the bag after fueling super easy and fast, basically just set the bag back on top of the tank and it self-centers and locks just that quick.  Also, the mounting system doesn't take up any noticeable room inside the bag like the Cortec mount does.

The bags themselves are excellent, design, materials, and workmanship.  There is a big selection of bags to choose from, also.  They come with rain covers plus an internal built-in cover.  I've never used either as the bag itself seems to be very "water resistant" as is.  

My only criticism of the "Givi system" is in selecting and then purchasing the correct and separate plastic lock-ring and steel mounting hardware.  You have to select these separately for your bike and bolt ring and purchase them separately.  Givi does not make that clear or straightforward.  I've called their CS in Charlotte, NC, and even they admit it's not easy or clear.  The best way to find out what components you need is to call them, get the correct part #'s, and either purchase from them or on-line.  

image.png.3246416b05603b791f1661bff5ee1dc5.png

I totally agree on the quality and functionality of the Givi, I have not seen any better.  Not sure about your second comment?   I thought I just ordered the bag I wanted and then ordered the install kit (ring assembly) for my bike.   Has this changed? 

Ed,

You are right.  On the bag purchase you get all the mounting stuff.  I bought just the mounting stuff to be able to use the same bag on several bikes and THATS where the issue arose.   I better clarify that.

THANKS!!

Hey - ride down this way anytime you want to.  I'm about 1.5 hrs from Blairsville, could meet you for lunch somewhere.  Ever been to TWO in Suches??  Several of us are riding down to Dublin in the morning for Bernie's SECFF lunch.  Wanna go??

Lowndes

Thank You all for such a great report. I'll look at Givi a little more closely. Just wish my old Marsee didn't have that puny little map pocket, otherwise it's been a bulletproof bag.

I received my "Hepco and Becker "M" bag" recommended by our Michigan friend.  Haven't tried to install it yet.  I'll be digging my bike out of hibernation later this week.  It's smaller than I expected, but should be convenient.  

Well, I made the mistake of not promptly putting it away in the garage, and leaving it on the kitchen counter when my wife came home from work.   She was just delighted when she saw it.  "Oh, you bought me a purse for when we ride together!!  I can't wait to use it", she said as she grabbed it, and walked off to see if it'll fit all that stuff in her purse.  🙄

I didn't have the courage to tell her that it still needed to be actually MOUNTED to the motorcycle, and that it wasn't "her purse", but a tank bag FOR those using the bike, which SHE will seldom be doing. :5150:  

8 hours ago, Hosstage said:

Just go buy another one, that one is not yours anymore!

I'm on it, as soon as I figure out where to mount it, 'cause the wife has dibs on the gas tank magnetic mount already.  😁

3 hours ago, Scott9999 said:

I'm on it, as soon as I figure out where to mount it, 'cause the wife has dibs on the gas tank magnetic mount already.  😁

That's going to be one pretty big fanny pack for you...

• Haha 1
konacyclist

I went with a BMW tank bag for my new 2022 R1250RT. I have always appreciated the attention to detail evident in OEM BMW accessories. I will confess after looking at the SW Motech offerings I was very tempted to get one.

1 hour ago, konacyclist said:

I went with a BMW tank bag for my new 2022 R1250RT. I have always appreciated the attention to detail evident in OEM BMW accessories. I will confess after looking at the SW Motech offerings I was very tempted to get one.

I am waaay too  OCD to have anything touch my paint so I am sold on the Givi Tanklock product. 

Lone_RT_rider
1 hour ago, RTinNC said:

I am waaay too  OCD to have anything touch my paint so I am sold on the Givi Tanklock product. 

To be clear, nothing touches the paint on my RT when I use my SW Moto bag either. 

33 minutes ago, Lone_RT_rider said:

To be clear, nothing touches the paint on my RT when I use my SW Moto bag either. 

Yep ... I am aware of the similarity of SW Motech and Givi.   Both good products.  For me it was 3 riding buddies who all had the Motech bags and system and moved to Givi liking the Givi tank lock system better.  I have never owned the Motech ,... heck I never owned a tank bag before the Givi, but am sold now.   I have heard good things about he new updated Motech system. 

John Ranalletta
On 3/22/2022 at 9:41 AM, RPG said:

Good morning, I've been using a Marsee tankbag for a number of years on my r1150RT, but it has some shortcomings I always wanted to address. So I'm looking for some recommendations, please.

Issues with the Marsee:

1. The bag is wide enough that it interfers with the left side horn button. I have installed the device over the horn button, but still the horn will fire if I load anything into the left side pocket. A slimmer bag seems to be a better option.
  2. The map pocket has a weird shape. Fairly small and not quite a rectangle, resulting in lots of work to fold a map just right. I would like something with a larger overall map pocket.

Here's a couple of bags I thought might be a good replacement. I would like to keep the gas cap interlock feature so the bag doesn't touch the tank.

https://www.cyclegear.com/accessories/sw-motech-quick-lock-ion-15-22l-tank-bag?sku_id=1761502

https://twistedthrottle.com/shop/luggage/tank-bags-accessories/tank-bags/givi-xstream-tanklock-africa-twin-crf1000l-16-versys-650-15-16/

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

The GIVI Extreme 20L was on the bike when I bought it.  I'd buy it again.  Easy on/off for re-fueling.  Spacious. Sturdy.  Does not touch paint.
image.png.0991e186970e0c02076b410d020346fb.png

50 minutes ago, John Ranalletta said:

The GIVI Extreme 20L was on the bike when I bought it.  I'd buy it again.  Easy on/off for re-fueling.  Spacious. Sturdy.  Does not touch paint.
image.png.0991e186970e0c02076b410d020346fb.png

This is like Ford or Chevy ... both are good products just what you are happy with .   And today the issue is availability for a lot or products. 

John Ranalletta
1 minute ago, RTinNC said:

This is like Ford or Chevy ... both are good products just what you are happy with .   And today the issue is availability for a lot or products. 

image.thumb.png.b600c291e6376ea1323db5c1d69db4be.png

• Like 1
10 hours ago, John Ranalletta said:

image.thumb.png.b600c291e6376ea1323db5c1d69db4be.png

That's a nice looking bag, a decent sized one, too.  Will it mount to a bike with a  Hepco and Becker tank ring on it?  Just asking, 'cause .....  🤔

I can see myself looking for a bigger bag for longer trips, than the medium H&B bag I just bought.

John Ranalletta
7 hours ago, Scott9999 said:

That's a nice looking bag, a decent sized one, too.  Will it mount to a bike with a  Hepco and Becker tank ring on it?  Just asking, 'cause .....  🤔

I can see myself looking for a bigger bag for longer trips, than the medium H&B bag I just bought.

Revzilla folks are very good at responding to inquiries.  I'd shoot them an mail.

• 5 months later...

So I bought the BMW tank bag made for my 2022 RT. I like the bag well enough but it doesn’t stay in place securely enough to suit me. Is there a fuel cap ring mount for my bike (keyless cap) that I can attach to my existing BMW tank bag?

I was hoping that all I needed to do was choose the brand of tank mount that was best, mount it to my RT and adapt/attach the mount to my tank bag. Not possible or practical? 

Might be possible if you can get the piece that mounts on the bag but probably not practical.

you can easily sell the BMW bag and use proceeds to fund the tank lock bag

As a side note to "tankbags", I have been running a Givi Tanklok medium/large bag for years. It is in the video I posted early in this thread. 

"Bout three weeks ago I rode my RT back from WV using that bag. During the 10 days or so I was home I ordered the smallest Givi tanklok bag they offer. 5 liters or something like that. It come with a universal tank lok ring that you drill yourself. Liked the thought of that, but of course I already have the ring on my two bikes. Rode the 1400 miles back to WV using the small bag. I don't think I will ever use the larger one again! Phone, wallet, glasses, ear plug case, and e-reader rather fills it up. But Soooo easy to remove to fill tank and perfect to tote into the convenience store or restaurant. Doesn't look like I am carrying a suitcase. Easy to sit on counter to get to wallet. 

• Like 1