IGNORED

Lubrication suggestions for GPS mount

Geekmaster

The release button on my GPS mount sticks every time I press it in.  I can easily push it back from the inside, but I think it should work without doing that.  Since the involved pieces are all plastic, I was wondering what the recommended lubricant and method might be?  Lithium grease?  Anyone else have this issue and solved it?

33 minutes ago, Geekmaster said:

The release button on my GPS mount sticks every time I press it in.  I can easily push it back from the inside, but I think it should work without doing that.  Since the involved pieces are all plastic, I was wondering what the recommended lubricant and method might be?  Lithium grease?  Anyone else have this issue and solved it?

Silicone spray worked for me.

• Like 2
39 minutes ago, Geekmaster said:

I never had much luck with that either.  I gave up, once I remove the GPS I push it to the right so it's ready to accept the GPS when I put it back in the cradle and it locks in place. 

13 hours ago, Geekmaster said:

Morning Geekmaster

You probably don't want to use something like silicone around your GPS as that stuff remains somewhat gooey. If you manage to transfer some silicone to your GPS screen you won't be happy.

I'm not exactly sure exactly what you need to lubricate (what part of that GPS release button is sticking) but if you can get to the actual spot that is sticking then my personal choice is something like  Krytox 205G0. That stuff just works, BUT it must be manually put on the spot that is causing the sticking. 

If you can't access the actual spot that is causing the sticking, therefore needing something in a liquid carrier that evaporates off the liquid carrier then leaves a dry lube is probably desired. Again, being in close proximity to your GPS screen, with the possibility of touching that release, then touching your GPS screen, you probably want to use something that won't transfer to your GPS screen or other dash areas. 

As Hosstage said, Tri Flow would probably work but you need to use it very sparingly & try to avoid getting it on the actual parts that you touch. If you use Tri Flow then apply a very small amount to the sticking area then work it in by cycling the release, then allow it to sit & flash off the Tri Flow carrier. 

Tri Flow isn't the most water resistant of lubes so if you wash that area of your motorcycle it will probably wash the Tri Flow off.    

On the other hand a lube like Krytox 205G0 is fairly waterproof but does need to be applied directly to the sticking areas (it won't wick in) but the good news about not wicking in it shouldn't wick out & transfer to your GPS either. 

In any case, if to choose to lubricate it, then you probably want  to use a lubricant with PTFE in it if possible. 

If your sticking is between plastic to plastic then sometimes a good liquid plastic polish will stop the sticking & allow the parts to burnish in together and function properly without sticking and without the need for any messy lubrication.  

• Like 1

Geekmaster,

I had the same issue with the mounts for my Zumo XT.  The first one I fixed by taking the mechanism apart and lightly sanding the slider face to give it more clearance, works well.  On the second one I used the PTFE spray as Dirtrider recommended above and that works, too, plus its quicker and easier.

I think the new can has a red top, not yellow, and a slightly different label.  It also works really well on key locks (just a shot in the key slot) and saddlebag locking linkage.  It's available at Wally World and Amazon.

image.png.259ea21835ea24182d70ed5cd3f38e10.png

I used a lock spray that worked wonders on the latches of my GSA panniers (metal/metal), also the lock cylinders (metal/plastic) and keyless gas cap.

I did the same as Lowndes and it worked until it didn't.  I posted on it a few years back.  In summary what happens is the mount slightly warps from heat.  The dealer adjusted it, shimmed it with rubber washers, etc, but it always stuck a little.  After my GPS fell out going down the highway, BMW authorized a new unit and a new GPS.  It has worked as it is supposed to for several years now.  Here's hoping yours is dust/dirt that PTFE will cure...If it doesn't, take it off, find the high spot and start filing, unless you are in warranty.  If in warranty, make BMW replace it.

12 hours ago, dirtrider said:

Morning Geekmaster

You probably don't want to use something like silicone around your GPS as that stuff remains somewhat gooey. If you manage to transfer some silicone to your GPS screen you won't be happy.

I'm not exactly sure exactly what you need to lubricate (what part of that GPS release button is sticking) but if you can get to the actual spot that is sticking then my personal choice is something like  Krytox 205G0. That stuff just works, BUT it must be manually put on the spot that is causing the sticking. 

If you can't access the actual spot that is causing the sticking, therefore needing something in a liquid carrier that evaporates off the liquid carrier then leaves a dry lube is probably desired. Again, being in close proximity to your GPS screen, with the possibility of touching that release, then touching your GPS screen, you probably want to use something that won't transfer to your GPS screen or other dash areas. 

As Hosstage said, Tri Flow would probably work but you need to use it very sparingly & try to avoid getting it on the actual parts that you touch. If you use Tri Flow then apply a very small amount to the sticking area then work it in by cycling the release, then allow it to sit & flash off the Tri Flow carrier. 

Tri Flow isn't the most water resistant of lubes so if you wash that area of your motorcycle it will probably wash the Tri Flow off.    

On the other hand a lube like Krytox 205G0 is fairly waterproof but does need to be applied directly to the sticking areas (it won't wick in) but the good news about not wicking in it shouldn't wick out & transfer to your GPS either. 

In any case, if to choose to lubricate it, then you probably want  to use a lubricant with PTFE in it if possible. 

If your sticking is between plastic to plastic then sometimes a good liquid plastic polish will stop the sticking & allow the parts to burnish in together and function properly without sticking and without the need for any messy lubrication.  

I assumed what was sticking was part of the factory GPS mount. The GPS unit should be removed before spraying silicone on the moving parts of the mount.

Thanks, all for the suggestions.  Here's a summary of what I did (before I saw DirtRiders suggestion):

• Removed the GPS from the mount.
  • Used WD40 Silicone spray (not regular WD40).  Used it as sparingly as possible and wiped off all excess.
    • I applied it to the movable parts at behind the top of the GPS (the "clamp" area).  This didn't seem to have any effect on the problem.
    • Then I isolated the movement by holding the "clamp" up and exercising the release button. The sticking seemed to be somewhere in the button travel itself.  It felt like the button itself was binding in the travel through the mount.
    • I sprayed some silicone in that area and worked it around a bit.  Then it started working a bit better, and releasing some of time, but not 100%.
    • Then I continued to exercise the button and clean off all excess for about 10 minutes.

At the end, the result was not much better, but I expect the silicone may tend to seep a bit more.  The information on the silicone spray indicates that it will dry out, and just leave the lubricant.  Based on where I sprayed and the remaining silicone left, I don't expect that I will get any on the screen, but thanks for the caution, DirtRider.

I'll check it again after about 24 hours and see how it fares.  If it's still a problem, I'll try some PTFE, and/or take out the button to try to fix it.  Overall it's not that big of a deal, so I may just live with manually pushing the button back out.

Dirtmerchant

I use 303 Aerospace protectant on the black plastic on my RT including that area, it helps the release slide easier. 

th?id=OIP.-jsUBhhw5uZYh00apsP65gHaHa%26p