IGNORED

back flushing oil cooler?

WhoolyBully

WhoolyBully

I read a story on facebook about an R1200  RT rider "back flushing" his oil cooler to solve an over heating problem. Has anyone here ever heard of this?

I prefer not to get involved in discussions on facebook.

1 hour ago, WhoolyBully said:

I read a story on facebook about an R1200  RT rider "back flushing" his oil cooler to solve an over heating problem. Has anyone here ever heard of this?

I prefer not to get involved in discussions on facebook.

Afternoon WhoolyBully

Well, if you read it on facebook then it must be true?

The only time I have heard of back-flushing a BMW 1200, 1150, or 1100 oil cooler is after a major engine failure to flush engine debris from inside the oil cooler.

If your OIL cooler is plugged on the  inside then you have MAJOR engine issues. 

Most times when the oil coolers lose some cooling function it is because of bent fins or bug/dirt plugged fins blocking air flow on the outside not the inside.  

You aren't running an aftermarket oil cooler screen are you? (some of those can really decrease oil cooler air flow)

What makes you think that your 1200  has an engine overheating problem??????????

WhoolyBully

Thanks for the reply dirtrider. Sorry for the delayed response, I have been busy troubleshooting email problem. 

I have no issues with overheating with MY 1200.

I just read the statement on Face Book and thought it absurd, but thought I would check it out as this is the only oil cooled motorcycle I have owned.

I brought it up here as I know I can trust the replies.