IGNORED

Montrose, Salt Lake, Ogden in Late August/Early September

John Ranalletta

John Ranalletta

Ruth has brothers and families in Montrose, Salt Lake and Ogden.  We're tentatively planning to tow, visit family, then ride in each of the areas.  Likely route will be from Indy straight to Montrose via Salida, Gunnison, etc.  Wondering if anyone has older gpx files from Unrally events for the area.  Would appreciate if you do.  Utah is an open book for us.  We've ridden around Torrey but only briefly, so, any suggestions would also be appreciated.  A nephew who rides a GS lives in Odgen so I'm guessing he knows the riding.  If we're not beat, we might come back via the Black Hills.

Any gpx files you might share from these areas would be most welcome.

TIA

A very nice dirt road that Bill told me about. :thumbsup: Although, I missed this little overlook. :( Time to start planning a redo! :yes:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mentioned Utah…. Moab area. Sorry it’s long but a spectacular dirt loop. On a 1/10 scale 10 being the scared shitless fall down and break bones kinda ride, I give it a 4. :classic_biggrin:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Do yourselves a favor and cover the Big 5, or whatever they call it:  All five NPs in Southern Utah.  I have also come to love Eastern Utah the past few years (Bear Lake, etc.).  That is one extremely picturesque state!

• Thanks 1
Danny caddyshack Noonan

Utah actually does have a Lottery.  It is called Saturday.  Head on a swivel if you are riding streets or roads on a Saturday in a populated area.  If you don't get hit, you win the Lottery.  I stopped riding for enjoyment in the Salt Lake metro area while we lived there.  That said, there are some cool trails on the Uinta front range.

• Like 1
On 3/20/2022 at 12:02 PM, roadscholar said:

There just aren't that many paved roads on the west slope. The three best out of Montrose are 92, 65, and 141. Heck they might be the 3 best anywhere : )

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1yDn1IhexpEXBvwkPe-MdstUPAhdQhKnI&usp=sharing

Hwy 92E out of Delta is wonderful. Stopping at north rim of the Black Canyon is a nice bonus. 

• Thanks 1
John Ranalletta
7 minutes ago, Rinkydink said:

Hwy 92E out of Delta is wonderful. Stopping at north rim of the Black Canyon is a nice bonus. 

Thanks.  I remember riding up to Crawford from Gunnison to a cafe owned by a English singer.

DSCF0079_JPG-003.jpg

DSCF0077_JPG.jpg

DSCF0078_JPG-003.jpg

• Like 3
3 hours ago, John Ranalletta said:

I remember riding up to Crawford from Gunnison to a cafe owned by a English singer

Mr. Joe Cocker sure made them his own !

I ate there on two different trips. On one of the stops Joe’s wife Pam (who opened the Mad Dog Cafe) actually had her sportster inside the restaurant. :cool:

Believe it was with RevRay on the trip to the 2010 UN when Joe was putting on a concert in Hotchkis two days following our time through town. Had the “places to go people to see” thing going on so we missed it. Joe passed away 4 years later. Wish we took the time. :(

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Danny caddyshack Noonan said:

Salt Lake metro area

I've driven in all the largest cities in the West, and find SLC drivers to be the worst (although Missoula, MT, a small city of only about 100k people, is just as bad).

• Haha 1
Danny caddyshack Noonan
2 hours ago, Rob Nowell said:

I've driven in all the largest cities in the West, and find SLC drivers to be the worst (although Missoula, MT, a small city of only about 100k people, is just as bad).

HA HA HA!  Currently 20 minutes south of the Zoo.  I think most of the issue here is tourist season and all the 5th wheel campers....and WA license plated vehicles.

20 hours ago, Danny caddyshack Noonan said:

HA HA HA!  Currently 20 minutes south of the Zoo.  I think most of the issue here is tourist season and all the 5th wheel campers....and WA license plated vehicles.

Peter, when I lived in Missoula, we referred to the 13s as the crazy drivers.  But now, those 4s are just as bad....rude as hell!  (Yes, the out-of-state plates don't help a guy!)

lawnchairboy
On 3/20/2022 at 8:09 PM, TEWKS said:

A very nice dirt road that Bill told me about. :thumbsup: Although, I missed this little overlook. :( Time to start planning a redo! :yes:

I eneded up changing a tire for some ladies up there on one trip. in that spot

• Like 2