IGNORED

Final drive overfill?

IdahoArtie

Is it possible to overfill the final drive? Just checking levels and thought it should be visible from the fill hole.  No idea how much is in there.  Should I just top it off until I can see it?

Yes it is possible to overfill the final drive.

You do not want to overfill it. After a drain, the refill amount is 180ml.

I would not recommend topping it up to where you can see it.

If you have no leaks then it has oil in it. Assuming you are servicing everything post purchase, a drain and fill would be called for unless you have records of it being done(12k service interval). 

180 ml is the latest amount.  I can tell you that if you fill it up to fill hole it will add up to 260ml. 

The previous amount was 210ml.

After BMW removed the vents problems occurred with blown seals or seal due to high pressures under normal riding conditions. They later went back to the vented final drive but left it at 180ml. So if you have a vented final drive based on my experience a few extra mls of oil should not do any damage. I do not recommend filling it to the top of the filler port. Just saying if you add 190ml or so it won't do any harm. As always follow the service manual. 

• Thanks 1
Danny caddyshack Noonan
12 hours ago, IdahoArtie said:

New to me bike so yes...just want to get it right.  I think I will drain it and start fresh.  Thanks....

Beemer Boneyard sells a very "squeezy" bottle that lets you hit 180 on the nose.  At least, they used to.  I haven't perused that site in awhile.  Here it is: https://www.beemerboneyard.com/finalbottle.html

• Like 1

If you have a Sally Beauty Supply or something similar local they sell the graduated squeezy bottles.  I fill the bottle to 190 as the gear oil is thick and 10ml is typically left in the bottle. 

40 minutes ago, MikeB60 said:

If you have a Sally Beauty Supply or something similar local they sell the graduated squeezy bottles.  I fill the bottle to 190 as the gear oil is thick and 10ml is typically left in the bottle. 

I have a 60 cc syringe for dosing equine.  I figure 3 of those will do it , but I like the idea of using a metered container either way.  The Hanes manual reads 180 cc.  

cc and ml are the same amount from what I understand.