IGNORED

2022 Battery Tender charge port?

Fast1

Picked my new RT the other day and I was looking it over at the dealership I noticed this connection port. Asked the salesman and he said it was a battery tender charging port.

Did a quick check of the Rider's manual and there is no indication of using this port for that purpose.

What is it?  Located behind the right footpeg.

Image preview

Image preview

12 minutes ago, Fast1 said:

Picked my new RT the other day and I was looking it over at the dealership I noticed this connection port. Asked the salesman and he said it was a battery tender charging port.

Did a quick check of the Rider's manual and there is no indication of using this port for that purpose.

What is it?  Located behind the right footpeg.

Image preview

Image preview

I can't see your images but based on your post, that is dealer added.  A lot of dealers do this and it's done at N/C.  They may  offer to sell you a battery tender. 

Thye add them so that they may power up the bike in the showroom for the customer.  A few times without a good test ride and the battery may not be charged enough.  Saves them from a headache when they go to sell the bike.  

I like that feature.  One can put it on a tender without having to gain access to the battery.  It is also a good source to plug in heated gear.

Does it look something like this??  Maybe 1.75 inched long, two pole, hangs out from under the seat??  

If so, its commonly called an SAE connector and is commonly used as a "maintenance charger", or "trickle charger" connection, 1-2 amps.  I also use it for powering heated vest and gloves, maybe a USB port connection.  It is NOT large enough wire to connect a jumper for jump starting your bike or another bike.  They usually have an inline fuse of 15-20 amps between the connection and the battery on the + wire.

If you decide to get a maintenance charger make sure it is compatible with your battery, i.e. if you have an AGM battery it will need an AGM rated charger.

image.png.ca771bd39555fb7e0c6214758a26b447.png

Seems if this is a dealer installed the SAE charging connector to the battery terminals, it may not meet the standards outlined in the owners manual. 

From the 2022 Owners Manual, page 217.

"BMW Motorrad has developed a trickle-charger specially designed for compatibility with the electronics of your motorcycle. Using this charger, you can keep the battery charged during long periods when the motorcycle is not being used without having to disconnect the battery from the motorcycle's onboard systems." 

"The connected battery can be charged only by means of the power socket in the dashboard"

"If you are unable to charge the battery via the onboard socket, you may be using a charger that is not compatible with your motorcycle's electronics. In this case, charge the battery directly from the terminals of the battery disconnected from the vehicle"

"Charging the battery connected to the vehicle using the battery terminals, Damage to the motorcycle's electronics, Disconnect the battery before charging on the battery terminals"

• Like 1

If I’m not mistaken if your charger doesn’t exceed 15vdc you can charge directly to your battery. 

11 hours ago, Fast1 said:

Seems if this is a dealer installed the SAE charging connector to the battery terminals, it may not meet the standards outlined in the owners manual. 

From the 2022 Owners Manual, page 217.

"BMW Motorrad has developed a trickle-charger specially designed for compatibility with the electronics of your motorcycle. Using this charger, you can keep the battery charged during long periods when the motorcycle is not being used without having to disconnect the battery from the motorcycle's onboard systems." 

"The connected battery can be charged only by means of the power socket in the dashboard"

"If you are unable to charge the battery via the onboard socket, you may be using a charger that is not compatible with your motorcycle's electronics. In this case, charge the battery directly from the terminals of the battery disconnected from the vehicle"

"Charging the battery connected to the vehicle using the battery terminals, Damage to the motorcycle's electronics, Disconnect the battery before charging on the battery terminals"

Not true.

I've been using a battery tender for years on my 07 1200RT and I'm sill using it on my 19 1250RT. (Deltran Battery Tender Jr)

My bike is connected to it via the SAE pigtail every time it's in the garage. it's been on it 24/7 during the past two winters from December to March.

No issue. BMW wants you to buy their $$$ charger

IMHO if using it could damage de bike. The dealer would never install it and be liable

11 hours ago, Rinkydink said:

If I’m not mistaken if your charger doesn’t exceed 15vdc you can charge directly to your battery. 

Morning Rinkydink

The "do not exceed 15vdc when charging directly to your battery"  (even using an SAE  pigtail) was definitely  true on the pre-camhead 1200 BMW's & is  probably still  true on camhead & newer bikes.

BMW sent out a special service bulletin to not use any battery charger that can exceed 15v while charging as it could (not would but could) damage the onboard electronics.    

The good news is that most simple (low amp)  battery charger/maintainers do not have a setting that will exceed 15v while charging. But there are some that will  (especially if the charger has a de-sulfation setting). 

The "more dead" the battery is when the charger is hooked up the better chance that a higher amp charger could exceed that 15v warning threshold.

• Thanks 1

I do as Daniel does...except I leave it on pretty much year round.  My last battery only lasted 3 years.  I just installed a new one recently.  I've decided to try and leave the charger off unless I don't ride for 3-4 weeks to see if this battery will last longer.  Prior to this I have left the deltrans charger on the pigtail on my bikes for at least 15 years with no damage to electronics.  I doubt the 2022 is any more sensitive than anything from 2014 forward, but if you are concerned only use it when it has sat for a period of time.

7 minutes ago, Skywagon said:

I do as Daniel does...except I leave it on pretty much year round.  My last battery only lasted 3 years.  I just installed a new one recently.  I've decided to try and leave the charger off unless I don't ride for 3-4 weeks to see if this battery will last longer.  Prior to this I have left the deltrans charger on the pigtail on my bikes for at least 15 years with no damage to electronics.  I doubt the 2022 is any more sensitive than anything from 2014 forward, but if you are concerned only use it when it has sat for a period of time.

Afternoon David

You need to verify that the charger you use has a proper charging algorithm & bulk voltage/amp charging sequence to not only properly charge the type of battery that you have but that the maintainer cycle is proper for the battery type. 

A lot of older battery maintainers will do more damage to the newer GEL or AGM type batteries than help them. If your battery isn't charged as temperature compensated, at a high enough voltage for the battery temperature, as well as properly bulk charged & maintained then it will sulfate the battery  therefore shortening it's life (sometimes significantly).

On my personal motorcycles I never leave them on a battery maintainer (and I have a couple of very modern temperature compensated chargers with cold weather settings). 

I typically just disconnect the battery for extended storage then maybe put a (properly rated) charger on it for 24 hours every couple of months or so.   (my motorcycle batteries typically live for 4-6 years and with unlevel batteries like the PC 680 sometimes going over 8 years (I typically don't allow them to go that long in a motorcycle setting but remove at about 5 years & use in my lawn equipment, generators, or other non critical devices.     

But I live & typically ride in a cooler climate, very hot climate areas can have a big effect on shortening battery life.  

I like to disconnect the maintainers from the batteries every once in a while during long term storage to let everything "rest" and cool down. Leave them on for a week or two, then disconnect for the same. I have a couple that I rotate between bikes and boat batteries (2 of each), the truck every now and then as it doesn't get used much, then on the wife's car because she tends to do a lot of short trips. Spring time one gets put on the lawn tractor to top it (20 year old battery this year!), the ATV when I think of it as it rarely gets used.

Damn, I own a lot of batteries!

• Like 2

Hey DR thanks....This is the one I use on the bike. If there is a better one let me know please.  I don't know if this does a desulfate or not. I am changing my habit to only use overnight when sitting for a while...like 3 weeks.  I do think heat is a big part of the average 3 year lifespan.  I get about the same on the cars.  The cars and bike are in the garage.  The heat in the garage with the door closed can get to 130+ for 4-5 months of the year.  It will seldom be less than 95 from about June through early September.

image.png.0977fbb14777f71216fb7c248d3c423f.png

1 hour ago, Skywagon said:

Hey DR thanks....This is the one I use on the bike. If there is a better one let me know please.  I don't know if this does a desulfate or not. I am changing my habit to only use overnight when sitting for a while...like 3 weeks.  I do think heat is a big part of the average 3 year lifespan.  I get about the same on the cars.  The cars and bike are in the garage.  The heat in the garage with the door closed can get to 130+ for 4-5 months of the year.  It will seldom be less than 95 from about June through early September.

image.png.0977fbb14777f71216fb7c248d3c423f.png

Evening David

It is easy to overcharge a battery at 130° if the charger doesn't have  good temperature compensation.

What type of battery are you dealing with? 

Personally I would ‎start‎ by calling the Deltran customer tec number to see if that is the proper charger for your battery type & ambient temperatures. 

If so then maybe find a programable timer to bring the charger on automatically every couple of weeks if the battery is left connected to the vehicle or maybe once every month if the battery is stored disconnected. 

No matter what you charge with, or how often you do or don't charge, no vehicle battery stores good at  130°f. 

• 2 weeks later...
konacyclist

I have one on my new RT also. In my case, it was a dealer installed courtesy. It was installed at the time of "new bike setup". I have an Optimate battery charger that mates with it and allows me to keep my battery fully charged. There's so much electrical load on these new bikes they need a little help.

Lou