IGNORED

Rear tire lug bolts on 04 R1150RT

IowaBMWrider

IowaBMWrider

BMW states that rear tire lug bolts are not to be lubricated when the rear tire is removed. It is my understanding lubricant will result in the tire being over torqued which could result in a stripped out bolt hole, or even worse, being under torqued with a loss of rear wheel. My question is, would anti-seize create the same situation as far as torque values? Does anyone use anti-seize on lug bolts?

You don't need anything other than a proper torque. Don't forget preload torque, then final torque.

Rule of thumb, "If it requires a torque value...It does not get lubricated" thumbsup.gif

I always apply some anti-seize compound to the wheel studs. This is contrary to most and not recommended by many. In my opinion, the threads are prone to rust if left without some protection.

If you choose to lubricate the threads, be aware that an adjustment should be made to the torque values.

Keith, is it a lesser amount of torque that has to be applied if the studs are lubricated ? and if so by how much ? Is there a rule of thumb to follow in these circumstances ?

Best wishes,

Malcolm.

.....Is there a rule of thumb to follow in these circumstances? ...Malcolm.

Generally, the rule is reduce the torque setting by 10%. The 10% reduction is only a rule of thumb and not a specific engineering formula.

Archived