IGNORED

Camel ADV Gut Guard for Harley-Davidson Pan America Review and Installation

MotoNews

Published in: Gear

camel ADV gut guard intro

The Harley-Davidson Pan America does a lot of things well out of the box, but like many new models, it’s not a perfect platform. As soon as I swung a leg over my Pan Am, I immediately wanted to take it off-road to see what she had to offer, but with the factory “skid plate” I knew that I’d run into trouble.

The stock Pan Am skid plate is an incredibly thin piece of stamped sheet-metal. And not just that, but it leaves the bike’s voltage regulator exposed to the elements and flying rocks. That’s quite a problem—is there a solution? Camel ADV’s is a proven manufacturer for other ADV models, but how is the execution of their H-D skid plate—what they’re calling the Gut Guard?

Camel ADV Gut Guard Pan America vs

Camel is constructing their guard from 4.75 mm aluminum, which is roughly 4x thicker than the factory plate. There’s a YouTube video of them bashing the guard with a sledgehammer to prove its durability and it holds up to some hard blows. It looks good, too, with beautiful welds. TIG welding is a tricky task, especially with aluminum, so well-done, Camel!

This product’s biggest benefit is that it protects the bike’s voltage regulator and other vital parts, with ample holes/slots to allow cooling air flow. The solution to what I consider is the factory unit’s main deficiency.

While my experience with this product is 99% positive, I did have one niggle: It’s very expensive. The factory skid plate is listed for $353.95, but sells for as low as $300, lower than Camel’s $329 price point. But it’s not really a comparison because Camel’s skid plate is more durable and better designed than the factory by quite a margin.

Camel ADV Gut Guard Pan America bike

Installation Steps:

Speaking of installation, it’s a quick procedure, around 15 minutes.

Step 1: Gather your tools― a ratchet, T40 Torx socket, 5 mm hex socket/wrench, and some blue Loctite.

Camel ADV Gut Guard Pan America 1

Step 2: Remove the six factory T40 Torx bolts. There are two up front on each side, and four underneath the bike. This can be done with the bike on either its center stand or kickstand. Keep the factory bolts handy; you will need them for the Gut Guard.

Camel ADV Gut Guard Pan America 2

Step 3: With the factory plate off, you will need to install the Camel-supplied mounting plate using four of the T40 Torx bolts from the factory plate. The plate mounts with the “hump” facing up and towards the back of the bike, with the four supplied spacers between the plate and the engine. With blue Loctite on the bolts, run them up snug and then back off so the plate has a little bit of wiggle back and forth. You will tighten these down later. Another benefit to this plate is that there is a cutout for the oil drain plug so when it comes time for maintenance, only the Gut Guard will need to be removed.

Camel ADV Gut Guard Pan America 3

Step 4: Now it’s time to put the guard on the bike. Start off with the last two factory T40 Torx bolts on each side up front, and let the plate hang down.

Camel ADV Gut Guard Pan America 4

Step 5: Apply some blue Loctite to the six supplied countersunk bolts and fasten the Gut Guard to the mounting plate. The mounting plate was left loose to ensure the Gut Guard lines up correctly. With everything lined up, snug everything down and final tighten. There were no supplied torque specs for these bolts, but snug with a good tug will be plenty.

Camel ADV Gut Guard Pan America 5

It should take is about 15 minutes. Overall, the Camel ADV Gut Guard is a necessary upgrade for anyone who wants to use their Pan America to its full potential. Take away the risk and enjoy the rewards!

Camel-ADV.com

MSRP: $329

PROS:

• Quick and easy installation
  • More durable than factory “skid plate”
  • High quality build construction

CONS:

• Heavier than factory “skid plate”
  • Moderately expensive

View the full article