IGNORED

2009 RT Mirrors and Parking Bulbs?

KetoSoi

With as much work as I have done on this bike, I've never had cause to remove the mirror housings. Been reading here and there, or maybe I'm not searching the right terms....

In order to replace the parking bulbs, the mirror housings need to come off to access, is that correct?

The mirror housings just "pop off", really? If so, which way do they need to be pulled/pushed (whatever) to come out without breaking anything?

As always, thanks for any guidance and info :)

K

35 minutes ago, KetoSoi said:

With as much work as I have done on this bike, I've never had cause to remove the mirror housings. Been reading here and there, or maybe I'm not searching the right terms....

In order to replace the parking bulbs, the mirror housings need to come off to access, is that correct?

The mirror housings just "pop off", really? If so, which way do they need to be pulled/pushed (whatever) to come out without breaking anything?

As always, thanks for any guidance and info :)

K

Evening KetoSoi

Are you talking about the side lights (little frontal white lights) or about the turn signal bulbs? 

In any case mirror removal procedure below_

2009 mirror removal.jpg

1 hour ago, dirtrider said:

Are you talking about the side lights (little frontal white lights) or about the turn signal bulbs?

Yup, the little front white lights, "parking lights"...

Thanks DR :)

Funny how BMW makes most of the bike a real pain to take apart, yet the mirrors just need a good tug apparently, lol.

K

Pulled one of the mirrors off, easy enough, heh. Looking in there, I can see the back of the bulb holder, but definitely no easy route there to change those bulbs. Looks like more of the fairing or dash needs to come off. The question is, whats the minimum that needs to come off to get to those parking-light bulbs... ?

K

OK, I solved my "mystery". Finally got to a place where I had enough light to better see what the deal was.... I didnt realize the outer trim piece over the mirror was only held there by those 2 top screws. I was previously under the impression they were the outside of a much larger piece of tupperware underneath. My hands dont reach in there well, but my Sons hands do, lol.

Thanks again for the assist guys :)

K

• 1 year later...

I just did these bulbs last night.  Right side was nearly impossible to reinstall,  and did it first.  Found then the left side a breeze as the 2nd bulb to attempt. Ha. Tough one first. 

However,  I chose to replace the "194" incandescent bulbs with high quality LED "W5W" replacements.  Uh-oh. The "Parking" function lights or "Daytme Running lights" now LED's come on with first key turned to ignition,  but once engine is started,  they go out and dash displays error like forward lights are INOP. 

I can't see installing a "CAN" system just to get the new LEDs as DRL's to work automatically with the low beam headlights.  I have a beautiful 2006 R1200RT.

Anyone have an idea?

SuperBrightLEDs.com has som CANbus (ZFE, actually) compatible bulbs that won't throw the error codes, I had some white ones in my '06.  I recommend the yellow though for contrast.