IGNORED

Tire Inflator

Skywagon

Ive been carrying this slime pump for probably 15 years or so.  I've only had to use it once and it worked great.  I tried to find another one today for a different need, but it is no longer available.  It needs to be about the same size and 12V.  I don't need it to do anything other than pump air.  What are you folks using now and have you actually used it.

image.png.b307c7df3e15a6506f736482b8f20d8d.png

23 minutes ago, Grouchy said:

I bought the slime compressor a month or so ago off Amazon.

Seems to work fine.

and I bought one less than a year ago on Amazon

I have used this one on a couple of occasions.  It comes with alligator clips or it will plug into their jumpstart battery.

AA81F0C4-DD13-4633-91D1-63CF2F555246.thumb.png.e66f8aa29d744e2f544a163dd52b758f.png

2 hours ago, Rob Nowell said:

and I bought one less than a year ago on Amazon

They have some other models of slime inflators, but the reviews are mixed.  Rock...will take a look at that one..thanks.

12 hours ago, Skywagon said:

Ive been carrying this slime pump for probably 15 years or so.  I've only had to use it once and it worked great.  I tried to find another one today for a different need, but it is no longer available.  It needs to be about the same size and 12V.  I don't need it to do anything other than pump air.  What are you folks using now and have you actually used it.

Morning David

Have you tried Cyclenutz?

https://www.cyclenutz.com/SLIME-PowerSport-Tire-Inflator-Compressor_p_459.html

I also liked that older Slime inflator as the pump/motor assembly is easily removable from the larger case as a very small (easily packageable) easy-to-carry pump. I would shorten the hose then rework the wire pigtail so it stored on my motorcycle as a very small size but still reach both tires.

Be careful with some of the new cheaper 12v tire pumps as some (probably most) now have plastic pump pistons. They work OK for an occasional tire top off but the plastic piston can melt if used for long duration,  like large tires, or inflating an air mattresses, or for high pressure tires. 

Slime has another Power Sport model ,the 40061 Power Sport Tire Inflator. It and the one DR linked both look like a pretty close descendants of my old Slime pump. The price is higher, and the dimensions are larger since they include the case and some connections, but the actual pumps might be about the same size. Mine measures 4 7/8" x 3 3/4" x 2 3/8".  Actually, I think the old one was sold in the Power Sports configuration, but also as just a basic pump.

image.png.74cd082e923e20f0f0f992bd05da7374.pngimage.png.0bdee627a2b136301f444bd1de9e48d5.png

It looks pretty beat up, it's been in the tail of my RT for quite a long while, and still works great.  I almost removed the case to save space, but I was concerned that the gears and such might get damaged. Instead, I filled the empty spaces inside with small repair items - a coil of wire, some Posi-Taps, a valve core, etc. The tape holds it together while allowing easy access and a label on the back reminds me to empty it before using the pump.  Switching the cigarette lighter plug to an SAE plug saved a tiny bit more space, and I made up an adapter for use with the car.

Check out Motopumps. Small American co. Bought one of their pumps over 10 years ago. Before Start last year, I pulled it out to check and it was frozen. Contacted the company to see if there was anything I could do to free it up. Was told not to worry and they 2 day shipped me a new one at no cost. Great company and customer service. Not affiliated. Just a very satisfied customer.

24 minutes ago, lkraus said:

Slime has another Power Sport model ,the 40061 Power Sport Tire Inflator. It and the one DR linked both look like a pretty close descendants of my old Slime pump. The price is higher, and the dimensions are larger since they include the case and some connections, but the actual pumps might be about the same size. Mine measures 4 7/8" x 3 3/4" x 2 3/8".  Actually, I think the old one was sold in the Power Sports configuration, but also as just a basic pump.

It looks pretty beat up, it's been in the tail of my RT for quite a long while, and still works great.  I almost removed the case to save space, but I was concerned that the gears and such might get damaged. Instead, I filled the empty spaces inside with small repair items - a coil of wire, some Posi-Taps, a valve core, etc. The tape holds it together while allowing easy access and a label on the back reminds me to empty it before using the pump.  Switching the cigarette lighter plug to an SAE plug saved a tiny bit more space, and I made up an adapter for use with the car.

Morning Larry 

The exposed gears might be a concern if you are holding it by the pump in the dark or laying it on a gravelly ground. I addressed that on all the slime pumps I carry  by simply bending up a small aluminum shield to cover most of the large gear. (doesn't cover the entire gear but covers the exposed gear teeth).

With the short hose & long wire I typically hold it by the hose anyhow. 

szurszewski
40 minutes ago, taylor1 said:

Check out Motopumps. Small American co. Bought one of their pumps over 10 years ago. Before Start last year, I pulled it out to check and it was frozen. Contacted the company to see if there was anything I could do to free it up. Was told not to worry and they 2 day shipped me a new one at no cost. Great company and customer service. Not affiliated. Just a very satisfied customer.

I can second this - the creator is an inmate over on ADV, and they have just released the redesign of the pump I’ve been carrying for several years (not quite ten, but almost!). My pump still works great and has filled many tires - even car tires from fully flat (that takes a bit but the pump has no trouble running the whole time).

https://www.motopumps.com/

17 minutes ago, szurszewski said:

I can second this - the creator is an inmate over on ADV, and they have just released the redesign of the pump I’ve been carrying for several years (not quite ten, but almost!). My pump still works great and has filled many tires - even car tires from fully flat (that takes a bit but the pump has no trouble running the whole time).

I can third this.  I bought a slime inflator when I bought my BMW.  Two years ago I bought a second bike.  I sometimes forgot to switch my tire inflator and repair kit to the bike I was taking so last fall I decided to make another tire repair kit and get another tire inflator so each bike would have one.  I was having trouble finding another slime one and being on ADV forum i saw the motopump and I ordered their newest one. If you order off the ADV site I think you can get a discounted price.  Comparing the two pumps the motopump is better and it comes with a nice case that you can put a plug kit in.  If my slime inflator dies I will get a 2'nd motopump.

I have a Slime pump on both bikes.  I believe I got the cheap $9.95 version and while it is not the best I know it WORKS!   Never had to use it on my bikes but have used it 3 times on others bikes.  I figure It's only for emergency so long as I can get 25-35 psi in the tire that is all I really need.   And they come in a small case and pack up nicely on the bike. 

8 hours ago, szurszewski said:

And I can "third" this. 

Thanks folks....I'll piddle with these recommendations tonight and order something.  I'll let you know.  Thanks for all the personal recommendations.  It beats shopping on Amazon.

szurszewski
1 hour ago, Skywagon said:

Thanks folks....I'll piddle with these recommendations tonight and order something.  I'll let you know.  Thanks for all the personal recommendations.  It beats shopping on Amazon.

Don’t say that! Bezos needs your pesos!

Motopumps looks like a nice product but jeeeesh it is $80 for the new model and pretty large.   If I were buying to use on a regular basis that would be the way I go but for a roadside pump my compact size Slime unit does the trick. 

I think this was a Slime pump originally.  It was in the trunks of several cars for years and the plastic case case broke so I discarded the case and made the gear cover (2" PVC DWV pipe).  Much less bulk, down to the basics .  Looks a lot like the Aerostitch mentioned above.  Also added the little ON-OFF switch (which is very handy) and the "SAE connectors" to the pump wire and the battery clips for versatility.  On some bikes the battery is a pain to get to but the trickle charger SAE connector is easy.  Having the pressure gage on the pump is convenient, too.  

This pump, plus a pair of latex gloves, plug kit, needle nose pliars (for pulling nails, screws, etc), extra plug cement, and a small rag all travel very comfortably in a large ziploc bag in a saddlebag.

The pump seems to run much cooler without the plastic case.  Heat buildup is the big enemy of air compressors.  Remember PVy=k??  Being able to see the moving parts to make sure everything is OK is good.  Cute little crank, porkchop, and conn rod, all designed to run "dry".  Not sure how many car, bicycle, wheelbarrow, trailer, lawnmower, motorcycle, and hand truck tires, plus the footballs and basketballs, etc it has pumped but it's still going strong.  Check your local trashpile for availability of yours, NOW!!

image.png.5c17cfea569ac6f372a740c284d9bb3f.png    image.png.7eaf845236bcb0f5812ba2bfd0733f6d.png image.png.f4835934057126725cc7feca50b08a6f.png image.png.ec5275bce66aaf6245450eda6e2d9908.png

image.png.1a1dbf779a27c213020a6e81961e14d3.png

image.png

Update....I wrote a quick not to one of the manufacturers in this thread to inquire about what they thought would be a good pump for my use.  To my surprise they said...we will send you one to try for free.  How long can I keep it...don't know, might be short or might be forever.  Once I get it and test it a bit, I'll post back who and what.

Lowdes...Looks like the inside of my model airplane engines.  They are cooled as you know with castor based fuel.  I wonder if you put a little grease on the sleeve if it would help or bog it down.  I know everytime I've used any kind of small pump like that it has to cool down quite a while before you can put it away.

szurszewski
On 3/10/2022 at 6:18 PM, RTinNC said:

Motopumps looks like a nice product but jeeeesh it is $80 for the new model and pretty large.

I agree that $80 is on the high end (though I think less than the bestrest) but I don’t think I’d call it large. I haven’t held the new version but I think it’s smaller than my gen 1, which easily fits in a jacket pocket. 

website says it’s

1.5" thick, 3.5" long and 3.75"

RandyShields
On 3/11/2022 at 2:48 PM, Lowndes said:

I think this was a Slime pump originally.

Lowndes, I think that may be the innards of an old Campbell Hausfeld pump.  I carried one of those for years after seeing an article in Motorcycle Consumer News 15 years or so ago about how easy it was to remove the motor/pump from the plastic container it came in.  I used it a couple of times, but it got pretty hot when working.  Now I carry a Slime pump, but I am thinking about the CyclePump from Best Rest Products.  It is pricy but, after standing around for what seemed like forever with my last flat to inflate (probably only 12 minutes or so), getting a tire inflated in 3-5 minutes would be really special at a challenging time.  And their pump is made in the USA and guaranteed for life.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, RandyShields said:

Lowndes, I think that may be the innards of an old Campbell Hausfeld pump.  I carried one of those for years after seeing an article in Motorcycle Consumer News 15 years or so ago about how easy it was to remove the motor/pump from the plastic container it came in.  I used it a couple of times, but it got pretty hot when working.  Now I carry a Slime pump, but I am thinking about the CyclePump from Best Rest Products.  It is pricy but, after standing around for what seemed like forever with my last flat to inflate (probably only 12 minutes or so), getting a tire inflated in 3-5 minutes would be really special at a challenging time.  And their pump is made in the USA and guaranteed for life.

Best Rest has always made good stuff and has had a strong following.   I did think they were trying to sell the company a few years back but not sure.  Much like Nealey they have been around for many years and sold a few good items.   

I do agree that it seems like hours waiting for a tire to inflate but if that only happens very infrequently I am still OK with my slooooow  Slime.  I believe it is smaller too, not sure but it is a nice easy to pack package with in the plastic case and fits so well on both my RT and GS. 

1 hour ago, RandyShields said:

but I am thinking about the CyclePump from Best Rest Products

Had to take a look at their web page. Though I'm not interested in a tire pump, their on sale air filter peaked my interest. May never really pay for itself at this point, it will help to keep a few more things out of landfill. I like the fact that it's reusable, and doesn't use oils like the K&N

HA!   I had not been to the Best Rest site for a few years and with all the chatter here wanted to check out what is there today.   Very different than the original stuff.  When they first started ... at least when I first started on BMW's (circa 2000)  their focus was very nice luggage racks for most bikes and some back rests to mount on them.  They are all gone and none on the site.  A few interesting items and this one really caught my eye !! 

https://bestrestproducts.com/shop/specials-closeouts/grass-clippings-kit/

25 minutes ago, Skywagon said:

I just looked at best rest pump. $135-$155. Ahhhh no. I’m sure it’s a great pump. 

Exactly.  If it were a tool I was going to use on a regular basis in my garage I'm fine with paying up but this (for me anyway) is an emergency tool that just needs to get me back on the road. 

3 hours ago, RTinNC said:

HA!   I had not been to the Best Rest site for a few years and with all the chatter here wanted to check out what is there today.   Very different than the original stuff.  When they first started ... at least when I first started on BMW's (circa 2000)  their focus was very nice luggage racks for most bikes and some back rests to mount on them.  They are all gone and none on the site.  A few interesting items and this one really caught my eye !! 

https://bestrestproducts.com/shop/specials-closeouts/grass-clippings-kit/

Good stuff, but like many things these days, out of stock.  I prefer to make my own, just throw some in a box and add some used synthetic 20w-50. Gets rid of the clippings and recycles that old oil.  I'd tell you which brand to use, but I don't want to start another oil thread.

I suspect it may vary for fescue or bermuda turf. 

Too bad they are out of stock I'd like to carry one in each bike, 

RandyShields
3 hours ago, RTinNC said:

I suspect it may vary for fescue or bermuda turf. 

Shades of the Pet Rock.  It wasn't the rock that was the hit, it was the user manual.  Quite the laugh fest, particularly after a few drinks or -- I'm told by others -- a toke or two.

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1
18 minutes ago, RandyShields said:

Shades of the Pet Rock.  It wasn't the rock that was the hit, it was the user manual.  Quite the laugh fest, particularly after a few drinks or -- I'm told by others -- a toke or two.

Lol …. I’ve heard the same “ from friends “ 🙄