IGNORED

Problem with BMW Top Box

catskill

I purchased a new BMW Top Box (newest model) for my 2015 R1200RT. I then set the barrel lock for the key on the fob. The barrel lock worked perfect. Tested it numerous time. So, I went to attach it to the bike. Noticed that the pin was locked on the bottom of the case. So, I removed the plastic panel around the barrel lock. Pulled the release and was able to turn the round knob on the bottom the box. I then closed the box to get it positioned on the rack. When I tried to push the lock in to open the lid, the lock doesn't work.

I have no idea what is wrong, and how to get the lid to open.The key goes all the way into the barrel lock, but I cannot put it all the way in to open the lid. Cannot turn the key either.

I've been waiting for somebody with more expertise to answer this before I weighed in.  I recently had a similar problem with the previous model of tailcase.  They are similar enough that my experience might be relevant.  In my situation, I had shipped the bike across country with a helmet in the case, and apparently something about that had knocked the handle-release out of alignment.  And so, when the latch was closed, pushing the lock cylinder in would not release the latch.  In my situation, I was fortunate because the lid was open when this happened, and so I was able to remove the lid and a bunch of the interior screws; and that gave me some slack so I could pry the inner and outer liner apart to trigger the latch manually.

In the (bad) image below you can see the mechanism that releases the lid latch.  The lock cylinder has a cam on it that pulls on a cable.  Push the lock cylinder in, and it puts tension on the cable.  The other end of that cable pulls on a plastic part that slides up and down in a channel.  The lid latch has a post attached that engages with that slider, and keeps it in the closed and locked position.  When the slider is pulled downwards by the cable, the lid latch is released.

I was able to open my case by loosening the inner and outer case liner enough to slip a dental pick in from the top, and push down on the top of the slider. (red arrow)

Your case is closed, and your options are limited.  The lid is secured by 4 sliding keepers that are driven by a gear in the lid latch.  You can see part of the gear next to the slider in the picture.  You can also see the pins that engage your lid, attached to a steel band that slides side-to-side. 

EDIT: removing the hinge bolts is not an option if the lid is closed...  I can only think of a couple of options, both are destructive.  First, you could pry the case apart and slip a hacksaw blade in to cut the retaining straps.  And then fabricate replacements later.  Or possibly, you can drill a hole through the outer clamshell plastic right over the retention pins as shown in the picture.  Using a probe or a hook of some kind, you can manipulate the retention pins to release the lid.  The pins are attached to a strap, and moving one of them will move the other on the same side.  If successful, you will then have a case with some unwanted holes in the side.  But you could buy some upholstery plugs for them, and they would not look horrible.

Hope this helps, Cap

latch3b.jpg

Thanks Cap! Unfortunately, I have the newer style box with the lock in the middle of the box. I thought of drilling two holes where the screws are so that I could remove the cover (plugs for the holes is a great idea). From there I would have to come up with an idea of how release the latch. Since I don't know what the mechanism looks like, I would just be guessing.

But, what happen to your box, sounds just like my problem.

I really dislike the central locking system. It provide no protection. If someone wants something in the box, they can just take a claw hammer and smash up a $1500 box, to steal a couple hundred dollars of goods. If the battery goes dead. Or, you lose the fob. Well ... you are screwed. I would prefer to disconnect the entire central locking system. If I am in a motel, then there would be nothing in the box, and I would prefer to leave the boxes unlocked.